street tires

DSN_KLR650
Norm Keller

where to get top end rebuild

Post by Norm Keller » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Mike Frey. Just brainstorming because the question occurred and you are likely positioned to answer: Do you think that a cylinder base spacer &/or machining material off the piston top, would be sufficient to allow a KLR piston to be used if KLX piston is NA?

Mike Frey

where to get top end rebuild

Post by Mike Frey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 am

I never knew the KLX-650 well, but I had always wanted one and have been on the equivalent KLX-650 Yahoo group for years. As each year goes by, it becomes less likely - unless I find one like I ALMOST bought 3 years ago. Unmolested, totally stock 1996 KLX-650 with only 800 miles on it. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it. It looked brand new.

I think that a very limited number of people used a KLR piston and machined the top of it to reduce the compression ratio accordingly. I wouldn't recommend it, because there are still KLX replacement parts available, including pistons from Wossner.

The most popular overbore seems to be the KLX-678 using the piston from Kawasaki's Vulcan 1500 and then it's "just" boring out the cylinder and adding the bigger Vulcan piston and rings. No other mods needed.

--------------------------

I've been watching a bit more closely at people modifying the much newer KLX-250. With a kit, you can get it up to a 350cc.

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, April 05, 2017 9:39 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Where to get top end rebuild

Mike Frey. Just brainstorming because the question occurred and you are likely positioned to answer: Do you think that a cylinder base spacer &/or machining material off the piston top, would be sufficient to allow a KLR piston to be used if KLX piston is NA?