klr seat

DSN_KLR650
jc

street tires

Post by jc » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:53 pm

hi gang: i know there are a lot of opinions but for the money, what is the best choice for street (mainly street riding) tires? i hear the name kenda being thrown around a bit. the only 'dirt' riding i may do is the occasional dirt driveway. cheers. any ideas/opinions are welcome. jc

Rick

street tires

Post by Rick » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:54 pm

I had IRC GP110Rs. I liked them a lot. They were a smooth riding tire and lasted me a while. Rick
> hi gang: i know there are a lot of opinions but for the money,
what is
> the best choice for street (mainly street riding) tires? i hear the > name kenda being thrown around a bit. the only 'dirt' riding i may
do
> is the occasional dirt driveway. cheers. any ideas/opinions are
welcome.
> jc

Jon Till

street tires

Post by Jon Till » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:05 pm

JC, Mike Silverstein put this page up awhile back (thanks again Mike) http://www.mindspring.com/~mssilverstein/motorcycles/klr650/tires/index.html I think you will find it helpful. I know I did :) Jon... ============================= At 10:53 AM 3/19/2005, you wrote:
>hi gang: i know there are a lot of opinions but for the money, what is >the best choice for street (mainly street riding) tires? i hear the >name kenda being thrown around a bit. the only 'dirt' riding i may do >is the occasional dirt driveway. cheers. any ideas/opinions are welcome. >jc

Mike Peplinski

street tires

Post by Mike Peplinski » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Sounds familiar. I laughingly put myself in the "80%street 20%offroad"category only because they don' t have a 95/5 group. I put a Kenda 270 on the front for less than $20 and am totally pleased. It sticks great on the road, doesn't make a lot of noise and looks gnarley. I'm told lthe 270 rear will serve equally well.
>From: "jc" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] street tires >Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:53:02 -0000 > > > >hi gang: i know there are a lot of opinions but for the money, what is >the best choice for street (mainly street riding) tires? i hear the >name kenda being thrown around a bit. the only 'dirt' riding i may do >is the occasional dirt driveway. cheers. any ideas/opinions are welcome. >jc > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

dooden

street tires

Post by dooden » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:00 pm

And when you feel like doing that 5%.. air them suckers down to about 20~22 psi and they claw at the ground. Would'nt say "sticks to the road", but would agree to "is predictable" Bang for the buck I can see myself buying another set. Put little over 1000 miles on this set and basically only worn area is the edges of the knobs, and I typically run low psi and just leave it there. Also UHD rear and HD front tubes. Dooden A15 Green Ape ( I give them 4 1/2 Banana's out of 5 ) --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" wrote:
> Sounds familiar. I laughingly put myself in the "80%street > 20%offroad"category only because they don' t have a 95/5 group. I put a > Kenda 270 on the front for less than $20 and am totally pleased. It
sticks
> great on the road, doesn't make a lot of noise and looks gnarley.
I'm told
> lthe 270 rear will serve equally well. > > >From: "jc" > >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] street tires > >Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:53:02 -0000 > > > > > > > >hi gang: i know there are a lot of opinions but for the money, what is > >the best choice for street (mainly street riding) tires? i hear the > >name kenda being thrown around a bit. the only 'dirt' riding i may do > >is the occasional dirt driveway. cheers. any ideas/opinions are
welcome.
> >jc > > > > > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: > >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

paladin_1176

street tires

Post by paladin_1176 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:05 pm

I'm looking for a good budget street tire. I have heard a lot of good things about the Metzler Tourance and I can get one for 100$. Has anybody used a Kenda tire? I think it's the K761 street tire. They're 60 bucks, decent looking tread, but I don't know anybody that's used them. Thanks Moose

Mike Peplinski

street tires

Post by Mike Peplinski » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:21 pm

I've got the Kenda 761 on the rear. I'm not condemning it. It hangs on but it is squirmy. It always seems to slip out just a bit on tight corners. Hangs in there but gives me butterflies. Its not the greatest wearing tire either. Had a Kenda 270 on the front at first. Pretty noisy, wore sort of wierd but pretty good traction. I switched to a Dunlop 607 front and will match it to a 607 rear when the time comes. It is very smooth and corners much better than the Kenda. Quiet too.
>From: "paladin_1176" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Street tires >Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 01:03:44 -0000 > >I'm looking for a good budget street tire. I have heard a lot of good >things about the Metzler Tourance and I can get one for 100$. Has >anybody used a Kenda tire? I think it's the K761 street tire. >They're 60 bucks, decent looking tread, but I don't know anybody >that's used them. > >Thanks >Moose > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

Moose

street tires

Post by Moose » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:20 am

How are the Dunlops in the weather? I'm looking at riding in on a perfect morning and having rain drop in on me quickly. Also, i'm looking at the long rides where I'll have to have a bit of rain. I heard the Metzlers are great in the rain, but i'm hoping there's something just as good for a bit less bucks. Mike Peplinski wrote: I've got the Kenda 761 on the rear. I'm not condemning it. It hangs on but it is squirmy. It always seems to slip out just a bit on tight corners. Hangs in there but gives me butterflies. Its not the greatest wearing tire either. Had a Kenda 270 on the front at first. Pretty noisy, wore sort of wierd but pretty good traction. I switched to a Dunlop 607 front and will match it to a 607 rear when the time comes. It is very smooth and corners much better than the Kenda. Quiet too.
>From: "paladin_1176" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Street tires >Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 01:03:44 -0000 > >I'm looking for a good budget street tire. I have heard a lot of good >things about the Metzler Tourance and I can get one for 100$. Has >anybody used a Kenda tire? I think it's the K761 street tire. >They're 60 bucks, decent looking tread, but I don't know anybody >that's used them. > >Thanks >Moose > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >
--------------------------------- All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thor Lancelot Simon

street tires

Post by Thor Lancelot Simon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:02 am

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 05:20:17AM -0700, Moose wrote:
> > How are the Dunlops in the weather? I'm looking at riding in on > a perfect morning and having rain drop in on me quickly. Also, i'm > looking at the long rides where I'll have to have a bit of rain. I > heard the Metzlers are great in the rain, but i'm hoping there's > something just as good for a bit less bucks.
The Avon Distanzia is similar, maybe a little bit better on dirt and gravel (both are useless in mud), and is very, very good in the rain. And it is somewhat cheaper than the Tourance, too. Both tires have a reputation for wearing like iron. Both are extremely stiff and thus very hard to mount (but so are tubeless K761s and Gripsters, which are about all you'll find these days in those tires though both are supposedly available on tube-type carcasses too). The K761 has a more open tread pattern and softer rubber than the Tourance or Distanzia. This makes it somewhat better on dirt, especially if it's muddy, but slightly less precise on pavement. The large spaces between the tread blocks also seem to mean that the K761 does not perform as well on wet pavement though on the other hand it's almost impossible to make it hydroplane if it gets _really_ wet out -- you don't want to be going 70 through sweepers like you could on the Distanzia but you can go 35 in water that's as deep as the footpegs without too much fear. The K761's softer rubber also makes it wear out very fast particularly on the front. It's cheap, which partly makes up for this, but with any tire as stiff as all these are, you should consider your labor spent mounting it, too! It sounds like the Tourance, Distanzia, or maybe even the Gripster might be what you want. The Distanzia is cheaper than the Tourance and the Gripster is _really_ cheap. If price is no object you should also consider the Pirelli (MT90?) that's stock on the KTM950 -- it is a very good all-around tire with a street bias.

Moose

street tires

Post by Moose » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 am

One of the members suggested ATM for their tires and I found that they pretty much have the lowest prices on tires by a few dollars. A friend of mine turned me on to SouthWest motorcycle tires online. Only a dollar or two more expensive, but you buy two and the shipping is free :) http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=SWMT Moose Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 05:20:17AM -0700, Moose wrote: > > How are the Dunlops in the weather? I'm looking at riding in on > a perfect morning and having rain drop in on me quickly. Also, i'm > looking at the long rides where I'll have to have a bit of rain. I > heard the Metzlers are great in the rain, but i'm hoping there's > something just as good for a bit less bucks. The Avon Distanzia is similar, maybe a little bit better on dirt and gravel (both are useless in mud), and is very, very good in the rain. And it is somewhat cheaper than the Tourance, too. Both tires have a reputation for wearing like iron. Both are extremely stiff and thus very hard to mount (but so are tubeless K761s and Gripsters, which are about all you'll find these days in those tires though both are supposedly available on tube-type carcasses too). The K761 has a more open tread pattern and softer rubber than the Tourance or Distanzia. This makes it somewhat better on dirt, especially if it's muddy, but slightly less precise on pavement. The large spaces between the tread blocks also seem to mean that the K761 does not perform as well on wet pavement though on the other hand it's almost impossible to make it hydroplane if it gets _really_ wet out -- you don't want to be going 70 through sweepers like you could on the Distanzia but you can go 35 in water that's as deep as the footpegs without too much fear. The K761's softer rubber also makes it wear out very fast particularly on the front. It's cheap, which partly makes up for this, but with any tire as stiff as all these are, you should consider your labor spent mounting it, too! It sounds like the Tourance, Distanzia, or maybe even the Gripster might be what you want. The Distanzia is cheaper than the Tourance and the Gripster is _really_ cheap. If price is no object you should also consider the Pirelli (MT90?) that's stock on the KTM950 -- it is a very good all-around tire with a street bias. --------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2 /min or less. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]