[dsn_klr650] 2007 klr 650 burning something

DSN_KLR650
jeffsaline

[dsn_klr650] 2007 klr 650 burning something

Post by jeffsaline » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:22 pm

----Oh I forgot to mention. In September the bike idled fine with just a pipe running out of the engine (no muffler) Yesterday after replacing it with the stock muffler the bike would run well only with the choke on. It did sit without being started for about 4 months. Not sure if that matters much. Installed a new battery. David Z mobile: 646.267.1109 poisonpartyband.com
> On Mar 25, 2017, at 9:39 PM, David Zawadzki
wrote:
> > Hello folks, > > Hope everyone is doing well. > > Fixing up my stolen bike and I just put back the stock muffler on it.
Before it was a straight pipe. Way too loud but I never noticed any smoke coming out in the few rides I did with it. I purchased a used stock muffler, installed it and it was blowing out smoke today. It did not smell like oil. I know what burning oil smells like. I'm guessing its coolant. Smells like chemicals. The color is hard to tell. Not sure if it's white or blue or gray.
> > Is there a way to do a test? Should I drain the oil and smell the oil?
If it is burning coolant what needs to be replaced?
> > Bike has 12k on it. Valves? They sound good. No clicking. I didn't
know how to check them but will if you think that's it.
> > Thanks! > > David Z > mobile: 646.267.1109 > poisonpartyband.com
<><><><><><><> <><><><><><><> David, The won't idle without choke after sitting for 4 months is probably a clogged pilot jet. If you didn't drain fuel from the carb four months ago the fuel probably caused the issue. Clean the jet and it will probably idle fine. For the chemical smell from the exhaust... check the coolant level in the reservoir and also with the engine cold remove the radiator cap and make sure the radiator is full. Then take a ride of maybe 20 miles and monitor the temp gauge. Also monitor the smell to see if it burns off. Maybe the smell is from the previous bike and contaminates inside the muffler. Let the engine get cold and then again check the coolant level in the reservoir and radiator. If the level changed (lowered) it suggests a coolant leak. If the level remains the same maybe take another test ride of 40 miles and check again. Do this a couple of times to see if the smell is coolant. No change in the coolant level suggests the cooling system is leak free. If the coolant level goes down and you don't see any external leaks and the smell continues it suggests the coolant is leaking at the head gasket. It could be a cracked head too but you won't know until you inspect the head. Most owners don't have the equipment to pressure check the coolant system. A hand pump is mounted to the radiator via a special adapter that simulates a radiator cap. Pressure is applied to the coolant system up to maybe 15 psi. The gauge on the pump is monitored for a while to see if it drops. If the seal is good at the radiator a pressure drop (no external leaks) suggests an internal issue like a head gasket leaking or a cracked head. You can buy a coolant system pressure tester at Harbor Freight but I don't know if it has an adapter that fits the KLR radiator. Best, Jeff Saline The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . . . . . . ____________________________________________________________ Sasha Obama's IQ Will Make You Laugh Out Loud likeitviral.com http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58d7339ba5732339b75ccst04vuc

david zawadzki

2007 klr 650 speedometer issues

Post by david zawadzki » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 am

Hello folks, My speedometer is kaput and I was thinking of replacing it with a electronic one like the trail tech vapor. I checked the cables, checked the washer in the front wheel etc. could not get the bike to show rpms, speed or distance. Does anyone have any experience with an electric speedo? One that goes in the same spot and looks good? I wouldn't want to install in on the handlebar. Thanks again. David Z mobile: 646.267.1109 poisonpartyband.com

david zawadzki

Post by david zawadzki » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Anyone got an aftermarket speedo?
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David Zawadzki wrote: Hello folks, My speedometer is kaput and I was thinking of replacing it with a electronic one like the trail tech vapor. I checked the cables, checked the washer in the front wheel etc. could not get the bike to show rpms, speed or distance. Does anyone have any experience with an electric speedo? One that goes in the same spot and looks good? I wouldn't want to install in on the handlebar. Thanks again. David Z mobile: 646.267.1109 poisonpartyband.com
-- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com

Mike Huber

Post by Mike Huber » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 am

David...I've got a Trail Tech Vapor and I just made a separate plate and mounted it to the factory gauge bracket ...mounts right back up to the factory location.    [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of david zawadzki fordavidz@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:42 PM [b]To:[/b] KLR Group [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: 2007 Klr 650 Speedometer issues     Anyone got an aftermarket speedo? On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David Zawadzki wrote:
Hello folks, My speedometer is kaput and I was thinking of replacing it with a electronic one like the trail tech vapor. I checked the cables, checked the washer in the front wheel etc.  could not get the bike to show rpms, speed or distance.  Does anyone have any experience with an electric speedo? One that goes in the same spot and looks good? I wouldn't want to install in on the handlebar. Thanks again. David Z mobile: 646.267.1109 poisonpartyband.com
-- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com