email

DSN_KLR650
themistawista

2001 klr650

Post by themistawista » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:32 pm

Hi, i just bought a KLR 650 from a "larger" fellow...and i noticed that the suspension is alittle taunt...probably because the dude weighs more than me..anyway...can i adjust it to allow alittle give for my 160lb butt? this is my first bike...so i don't have a clue about anything. anyway...some help please! :)

Judson D. Jones

2001 klr650

Post by Judson D. Jones » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:03 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "themistawista" wrote:
> Hi, i just bought a KLR 650 from a "larger" fellow...and i noticed > that the suspension is alittle taunt...probably because the dude > weighs more than me..anyway...can i adjust it to allow alittle
give
> for my 160lb butt? this is my first bike...so i don't have a clue > about anything. anyway...some help please! :)
At the top of the shock, on the LH side, you will find a 12mm bolt head. Turn this clockwise to increase spring preload. After position 5, the stiffest, the shock will return to 1, the softest. From there, you can crank it up to where it suits you. BTW, thats "taut". Mark, you're supposed to be on this stuff.

Chris

2001 klr650

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:57 pm

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:02:19PM -0000, Judson D. Jones wrote:
> At the top of the shock, on the LH side, you will find a 12mm bolt > head. Turn this clockwise to increase spring preload. After > position 5, the stiffest, the shock will return to 1, the softest. From > there, you can crank it up to where it suits you. > > BTW, thats "taut". Mark, you're supposed to be on this stuff.
Isn't pre-load merely a ride height adjustment? I thought it was to correct the attitude of the bike for a given load so that handling remains consistent. -- ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ http://www.kingsqueak.org/klr650/

P deLeeuw

2001 klr650

Post by P deLeeuw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello Folks!   I've replaced a lot of parts on my KLR and have a few more to go. I'm 69 and weigh 250. These days when getting on the bike, due to a largish metal container on the back, I now step on the worn out front pedal to get seated. I'm concerned that one day when the pedal is wet, I'll slip off and go boom. Question is, does the all metal toothed pedal much better when wet?   If so, which is best and does someone have an extra one for the left foot front pedal they can let me have or sell me. I've seen sets for $20 but don't know how good they are. I also need a replacement for the left hand choke lever assembly. If still available I'd like an aluminum one. Anyone know whew I can get one? I am not interested in using a plunger on the carb or converting to a shorter Cable.     Thanks!!!

Get Outlook for Android

P deLeeuw

email

Post by P deLeeuw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Could whoever sent me a message resend it please.

Get Outlook for Android

Gary Thacker

2001 klr650

Post by Gary Thacker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:15 am

Not sure what year your bike is but I put a set of Suzuki pegs on my 07. Work great. Had them on since the first time the stock pegs got wet and I almost broke my leg when I slipped off. That was 10 years ago. They were pretty cheap. At the time pretty sure they were under 20 bucks. Check eBay. They are just all steel no rubber dirt bike pegs. Don't leave home without them. 
Sent from my iPhone On Mar 14, 2017, at 11:58 PM, P deLeeuw deleeuwp@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Hello Folks!   I've replaced a lot of parts on my KLR and have a few more to go. I'm 69 and weigh 250. These days when getting on the bike, due to a largish metal container on the back, I now step on the worn out front pedal to get seated. I'm concerned that one day when the pedal is wet, I'll slip off and go boom. Question is, does the all metal toothed pedal much better when wet?   If so, which is best and does someone have an extra one for the left foot front pedal they can let me have or sell me. I've seen sets for $20 but don't know how good they are. I also need a replacement for the left hand choke lever assembly. If still available I'd like an aluminum one. Anyone know whew I can get one? I am not interested in using a plunger on the carb or converting to a shorter Cable.     Thanks!!!

Get Outlook for Android

Gary Thacker

2001 klr650

Post by Gary Thacker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 am

Not sure what year your bike is but I put a set of Suzuki pegs on my 07. Work great. Had them on since the first time the stock pegs got wet and I almost broke my leg when I slipped off. That was 10 years ago. They were pretty cheap. At the time pretty sure they were under 20 bucks. Check eBay. They are just all steel no rubber dirt bike pegs. Don't leave home without them.  Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 14, 2017, at 11:58 PM, P deLeeuw deleeuwp@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Hello Folks!   I've replaced a lot of parts on my KLR and have a few more to go. I'm 69 and weigh 250. These days when getting on the bike, due to a largish metal container on the back, I now step on the worn out front pedal to get seated. I'm concerned that one day when the pedal is wet, I'll slip off and go boom. Question is, does the all metal toothed pedal much better when wet?   If so, which is best and does someone have an extra one for the left foot front pedal they can let me have or sell me. I've seen sets for $20 but don't know how good they are. I also need a replacement for the left hand choke lever assembly. If still available I'd like an aluminum one. Anyone know whew I can get one? I am not interested in using a plunger on the carb or converting to a shorter Cable.     Thanks!!!

Get Outlook for Android

Ken Cooley

2001 klr650

Post by Ken Cooley » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 am

GarySend me your zip code.I have a neat set of metal but not sure they will.fit our KLR models.Which year bike do you have.ken@... Put Gary KLR in the subject line please.
On Mar 14, 2017 10:58 PM, "P deLeeuw deleeuwp@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Hello Folks! I've replaced a lot of parts on my KLR and have a few more to go. I'm 69 and weigh 250. These days when getting on the bike, due to a largish metal container on the back, I now step on the worn out front pedal to get seated. I'm concerned that one day when the pedal is wet, I'll slip off and go boom. Question is, does the all metal toothed pedal much better when wet? If so, which is best and does someone have an extra one for the left foot front pedal they can let me have or sell me. I've seen sets for $20 but don't know how good they are. I also need a replacement for the left hand choke lever assembly. If still available I'd like an aluminum one. Anyone know whew I can get one? I am not interested in using a plunger on the carb or converting to a shorter Cable. Thanks!!!

Get Outlook for Android

Mike Huber

2001 klr650

Post by Mike Huber » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:24 am

I found the aluminum choke levers and housings on E bay [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of P deLeeuw deleeuwp@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:58 PM [b]To:[/b] dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] 2001 KLR650     Hello Folks!   I've replaced a lot of parts on my KLR and have a few more to go. I'm 69 and weigh 250. These days when getting on the bike, due to a largish metal container on the back, I now step on the worn out front pedal to get seated. I'm concerned that one day when the pedal is wet, I'll slip off and go boom. Question is, does the all metal toothed pedal much better when wet?   If so, which is best and does someone have an extra one for the left foot front pedal they can let me have or sell me. I've seen sets for $20 but don't know how good they are. I also need a replacement for the left hand choke lever assembly. If still available I'd like an aluminum one. Anyone know whew I can get one? I am not interested in using a plunger on the carb or converting to a shorter Cable.     Thanks!!!

Get Outlook for Android