dual sport news

DSN_KLR650
Russell Scott

dual sport news

Post by Russell Scott » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Alan and Fred, Toby is alive and well in Ojai. He currently has 7 steel steeds: 1970's something Yamaha Enduro 175, 250, 2 360, Suzuki DR 350, Kawi 2002 KLR, Honda 2007 XR650L. He has had some health issues, so riding is a bit limited. He is getting much better. Maybe we can get to Moab this spring. My cousin's B&B is in Boulder on the Burr Trail where my KLR has retired. I've been buzzing around on an XR650L for the last five years. Carl has done a great job with the magazine, which started on this list with Gino I believe. http://adventuremotorcycle.com/magazine/all-issues Happy New Year Russell On 12/29/2016 2:00 PM, 'Fred Hink' moabmc@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Alan, The Dual Sport News was sold by Toby Lampson to Carl Parker about ten years ago or so. Carl changed the name of this magazine to Adventure Motorcycle and is still running this publication as far as I know. http://adventuremotorcycle.com/ Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions let me know and I ll see if I can answer them. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com">Horton Oliphant hortonhearsawho@... [DSN_KLR650] [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:10 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com">klr [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Dual Sport News Hey Fred, I just looked at the DSN magazine website and discovered I don't know any of the people associated with it anymore. Do you have a little recent history you could share? Thanks. Alan Henderson A13 Minnesota

libertyeagle

turned my bike into a submarine

Post by libertyeagle » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:55 am

With the Flooding in California I had the fun experience of flooding my bike up to the Windshield. So, it will restart but then Stalls... So I am in the process of Drying everything out, charging the battery, and got to pray... No water in OIL, so think I shall be okay. Any other suggestions. Michael

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:18 am

Drain the carb into a container and check for beads of water in the fuel. Might be necessary to replace the fuel in the tank.
Alcohol containing gasoline will absorb quite a bit of water but will run poorly or not run.
Make sure that the spark plug well drain is open so the area isn't full of water.

husabob

Post by husabob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:08 am

Drain and flush your fuel system. Then add dry gas to your next tank of fuel. This would also be a good time to remove the seat, tank, etc. and treat every electrical connection by cleaning it with contact cleaner and then smearing some dielectric paste directly onto the contacts. Remove and treat your bulbs as well. You might also wanna remove your wheels and check the bearings for water contamination. Lube all of your cables, especially the sidestand interlock. All of this is time consuming, but it cheap insurance against a failure on the road. Bob

Monty

Post by Monty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am

Make sure the intake and exhaust are both clear.  Curious, what did you do? 

landsail

Post by landsail » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 am

With water soaking that high on the bike, I would check all of the 4 connectors mounted behind and below the instrument cluster. Ignition wiring goes thru some of those connections. Voltage checks on the critical power and starter circuit with a DVM may help find the problem. Electric grease can also help dry out those plug-in connections and remove any remaining moisture. Hope this helps as I replace my 2007 voltage rectifier/ regulator with a MOSFET unit that can handle more output with less heat.

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 am

I've not accepted that dielectric grease is the best approach for other than higher temperature connectors. An easier alternative, IME, is a spray product like Fluid Film, or LPS.
These are lanolin and wax based products which often don't require that non-sealed connectors be stressed by disconnecting. They also protect ground points well.
Just, FWIW.

libertyeagle

Post by libertyeagle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:25 pm

She is running fine today, doing a of extra maintenance and trying to find my seat cover before I fully put her all back together again. But took her for a little 103 mile test ride and everything works fine. So, RIDING!!! Michael

Martin Earl

Post by Martin Earl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Glad you are running; I would suggest you are a long ways from being out of the woods; especially with the electrical stuff (but I could be wrong). In the earlier post, you did not mention if there was water in the crankcase...can't help but think water got in in some form if it was up to the windshield, ie through the airbox and breather back into the crankcase; at least that is what I picture in my mind.I think I would be tempted to change the oil and filter again 2x to make sure you don't have any fine grained soil in your bike. I had a friend that reclaimed (HIGH END) flooded cars and he did diesel fuel flushes of the engine/crankcase.He also did a complete electrical component exchange, probably not necessary on the KLR, but it is what he did. Perhaps someone else might comment on flushing the engine; I have seen bikes ridden in to the water and flooded, which is worse because water is sucked into the bike.Usually you see the bike hanging from a back wheel and the spark plug removed...not an easy task on the KLR, and water draining out the pipe, etc. Please keep us updated on the progress or reversals. Can you post any pictures?Sounds a lot like an episode from the series, "Then came Bronson."m1.
On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM, libertyeagle@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: She is running fine today, doing a of extra maintenance and trying to find my seat cover before I fully put her all back together again. But took her for a little 103 mile test ride and everything works fine. So, RIDING!!! Michael

Martin Earl

Post by Martin Earl » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:18 pm

For the old KLR riders, cough. here is something that appears to be a great way to lose weight.http://rideexpeditions.com/swm-rs300r-a-high-quality-affordable-trail-bike/
On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Martin Earl wrote: Glad you are running; I would suggest you are a long ways from being out of the woods; especially with the electrical stuff (but I could be wrong). In the earlier post, you did not mention if there was water in the crankcase...can't help but think water got in in some form if it was up to the windshield, ie through the airbox and breather back into the crankcase; at least that is what I picture in my mind.I think I would be tempted to change the oil and filter again 2x to make sure you don't have any fine grained soil in your bike. I had a friend that reclaimed (HIGH END) flooded cars and he did diesel fuel flushes of the engine/crankcase.He also did a complete electrical component exchange, probably not necessary on the KLR, but it is what he did. Perhaps someone else might comment on flushing the engine; I have seen bikes ridden in to the water and flooded, which is worse because water is sucked into the bike.Usually you see the bike hanging from a back wheel and the spark plug removed...not an easy task on the KLR, and water draining out the pipe, etc. Please keep us updated on the progress or reversals. Can you post any pictures?Sounds a lot like an episode from the series, "Then came Bronson."m1. On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM, libertyeagle@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: She is running fine today, doing a of extra maintenance and trying to find my seat cover before I fully put her all back together again. But took her for a little 103 mile test ride and everything works fine. So, RIDING!!! Michael