gen1 versus gen2 rotors

DSN_KLR650
normkel2000

gen1 versus gen2 rotors

Post by normkel2000 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Another big mistake due to trusting people who don't know that they are talking about. Apologies again for repeating garbage. I hope that no one was inconvenienced. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpcl15gilbil0fk/AAAbvk03KrFen9k7Jeil98fMa?dl=0

Martin Earl

klr650 vs ktm990 comparison

Post by Martin Earl » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:06 am

This is an interesting read.http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/klr-650-suspension-upgrade-vs-ktm/ Four friends on this Bcc distribution suggested I buy a KLR when I started (thinking about) riding again in July of 2003 after being off bikes since 1976. That first bike was bought in Oct of 2003, a 2001 with 2505 miles on; now turning 45K.I still have that KLR thirteen years later. (I also put 48K miles on a 1998 KLR650 (bought 2008) during that same time period.) Most likely the 2001 bike will get a 685 kit as it is using oil @ 300cc/tank of fuel. I was riding last week with some six other 'accomplished/competent' riders on WR250, WR450, various 300/500cc+ BETA bikes as well as another KLR650; we covered some of the hardest trails I had ever ridden (for the first time.) Initially, I was located at the back of the pack and could keep up OK and gave a faint apology that I was sorry that I could not ride as fast as they while on my KLR...When you are continuously using the skid plate as a 3rd point of contact, you are in some tough rocks. As many of you can attest, riding at the back of the pack can put you back further and further; it is just part of the process, especially if the person ahead of you is actually slower than you. wink. Then, I began to lead of four; oddly enough on the terrain I was really familiar to include ruts,and baby head boulders and bulldozer trails, I was getting further and further ahead. I heard a comment, 'Who is the old guy on the KLR, he is doing OK." cough. Later, I had to ask for help to pick up my bike in a mud hole, no Virginia I was not leading...a man has to know his limitations, and mud is one of mine!. heh! Admittedly, I don't ride a KLR650 as fast as I ride the DRZ400, or the KLX250(now sold), or as fast as the BETA guys if we were truly side by side, but I do ok on most of the stuff. I usually pick the KLR650 over the DRZ because it is more comfortable to ride, although, not always 'easier' to ride, and a KLR650 is certainly more difficult to pick up after the bike needs a nap. My brother (m2) is arriving from Missouri within the hour and I suspect, we will both need help picking up the bikes during the next week. Our annual ride together is usually three brothers, 4 KLR's, but alas, it is only two this year. Three brothers, 4 KLR's; that has to be some kind of record. m1..

george.eckles

klr650 vs ktm990 comparison

Post by george.eckles » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:33 pm

M1, Glad you are still out setting an example for the "younger "guys. Buddy

Get Outlook for Android

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 10:06 PM -0700, "Martin Earl mjearl4@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: This is an interesting read. http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/klr-650-suspension-upgrade-vs-ktm/ Four friends on this Bcc distribution suggested I buy a KLR when I started (thinking about) riding again in July of 2003 after being off bikes since 1976.  That first bike was bought in Oct of 2003, a 2001 with 2505 miles on; now turning 45K. I still have that KLR thirteen years later.  (I also put 48K miles on a 1998 KLR650 (bought 2008) during that same time period.)  Most likely the 2001 bike will get a 685 kit as it is using oil @ 300cc/tank of fuel. I was riding last week with some six other  'accomplished/competent' riders on WR250, WR450, various 300/500cc+ BETA bikes as well as another KLR650; we covered some of the hardest trails I had ever ridden (for the first time.)  Initially, I was located at the back of the pack and could keep up OK and gave a faint apology that I was sorry that I could not ride as fast as they while on my KLR... When you are continuously using the skid plate as a 3rd point of contact, you are in some tough rocks.  As many of you can attest, riding at the back of the pack can put you back further and further; it is just part of the process, especially if the person ahead of you is actually slower than you. wink. Then, I began to lead of four; oddly enough on the terrain I was really familiar to include ruts,and baby head boulders and bulldozer trails, I was getting further and further ahead.  I heard a comment, 'Who is the old guy on the KLR, he is doing OK."  cough.   Later, I had to ask for help to pick up my bike in a mud hole, no Virginia I was not leading...a man has to know his limitations, and mud is one of mine!. heh! Admittedly, I don't ride a KLR650 as fast as I ride the DRZ400, or the KLX250(now sold), or as fast as the BETA guys if we were truly side by side, but I do ok on most of the stuff. I usually pick the KLR650 over the DRZ because it is more comfortable to ride, although, not always 'easier' to ride, and a KLR650 is certainly more difficult to pick up after the bike needs a nap. My brother (m2) is arriving from Missouri within the hour and I suspect, we will both need help picking up the bikes during the next week.  Our annual ride together is usually three brothers, 4 KLR's, but alas, it is only two this year.  Three brothers, 4 KLR's; that has to be some kind of record. m1..