non klr question- gas in oil

DSN_KLR650
david zawadzki

non klr question- gas in oil

Post by david zawadzki » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Update: Drained the oil, got the correct float setting, bike runs great.Fred was right! Gas got in the engine as the bike was towed to the mechanic. Close that petcock! Thanks,David
On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 4:43 PM, david zawadzki wrote: Hey Fred, Thank you. The bike was towed. Good point. I will replace the oil and see if it smokes again. I think I got a right float height set on it now so let's see.. Thanks! On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Fred Hink wrote: Unless you lived in the Arctic, I don t think I d run 5w anything in a KLR. I believe the factory recommends 10w-40 and I usually run 20w-50 here in Utah in the summer. If you want to run Diesel oil in your KLR I m sure it won t do any harm. Any oil is much better than no oil. [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:45 AM [b]To:[/b] moabmc@... [b]Cc:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Non klr question- gas in oil PS- Is rotalla 5w40 T6 a good oil to use? It says diesel engines so I just wanted to run it by you guys... https://www.amazon.com/Shell-R otella-550019921-Synthetic-Die sel/dp/B005CHT4W6/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1470840269&sr=8-1& keywords=rotella+t6 On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM, david zawadzki wrote: Hello Gents, So I checked the diaphragm and there are no holes. I inspected the petcock. When it's in the off position nothing leaks. I checked the spark plug and it looks ok- slightly white. I bought a car rebuild kit and changed the float needle and seals. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. I will change the oil and see what happens next time. How come some bikes smoke a bit and people drive them? As Fred said Isn't that bad for pistons? Thanks. On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM, Fred Hink wrote: David, Gas in your oil can be from several different sources. I d suspect a leaking petcock, with this you also need the float valve to be leaking. Another way to get gas in your oil is to trailer your bike with the petcock selector to On. Gas will giggle out of the carburetor and since the engine isn t running it will eventually find it s way to the piston and leak past the rings to end up in the crankcase. Always trailer your bike with the petcock to the Off position. Your vacuum shutoff petcock may have a leaking diaphragm and this would allow gas to find it s way down your vacuum line into the engine. Changing out the oil may fix the oil in the gas problem may not fix why it got there in the first place. Having gas in your oil is not good on bearings, seals, or other metal parts that need a good lubrication to prevent wear. I have seen fires started because of gas in the oil and I even seen a photo of a magnesium cased motorcycle engine end up a steaming pile of garbage because of gas in the oil. Ever seen magnesium burn? 8-0 I d recommend changing out the oil (maybe several times depending on the amount of gas) at your earliest convenience. Be sure to find why the gas got in your oil and have that fixed. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsport s.com [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, August 9, 2016 7:54 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Non klr question- gas in oil Hello, I am a long member of this group and I purchased a 1997 Suzuki dr350. Recently I rejetted the bike to 136 main pilot as I opened the air box. I ran the bike and It seems like some gas got into my engine oil. Could it be the float setting? When I took the carb off there was some gas by on the rubber that goes over the carburetor. The bike does not overflow from the carb. When I take the bottom off the carb there is gas about 1/2 inch below the top. I asked a mechanic and he said that is the correct setting. I checked the oil and it smells like there is gas inside. The bike smokes after warming up but almost nothing. Will the glass burn off? So How dangerous is it? I know I have to change the oil. What is my issue here? How does gas shoot up into the engine through the carb? Thanks lads. We need more action on this thread. Sell your new bikes and buy 20 year old klr's and this will be fun :) David Z mobile: 646.267.1109 poisonpartyband.com
-- [color=#000000]David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com[/color] -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com -- David Z mobile: 646-267-1109 poisonpartyband.com

zx111990

fuel additive question

Post by zx111990 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:17 pm

I put a small amount of 44K fuel additive to my '03's full fuel tank and took about a 10 mile ride. As I was nearing home, I started hearing a tapping noise from the engine. Does anyone know if I did the wrong thing and what should i do next? I added about 1 ounce of 44K to super unleaded. The bike has 27k miles.  Thanks for any help, Larry

Eddie

fuel additive question

Post by Eddie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:25 pm

#ygrps-yiv-1212236501 {margin:0.7em;}#ygrps-yiv-1212236501 .ygrps-yiv-1212236501OECFntDef, #ygrps-yiv-1212236501 .ygrps-yiv-1212236501OECFntDef div {font-family:"Segoe UI", Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10pt;} Coincidental, I think. 10 miles wouldn't be enough to clean much out at all (if anything) and 1 ounce of additive is diluted 640:1 with 5 gallons of gas.   --- New Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail replacement - get it here: http://www.oeclassic.com/   You might just have a tapping valve or it got a bit hot (Not likely on such a short ride unless you just caned the ever loving crap out of it. lol) -eddie
[b]----- Original Message -----[/b] [b]From:[/b] zx111990@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> [b]Reply-To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com>, [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] 8/28/2016 2:17:40 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Fuel additive question  

I put a small amount of 44K fuel additive to my '03's full fuel tank and took about a 10 mile ride. As I was nearing home, I started hearing a tapping noise from the engine. Does anyone know if I did the wrong thing and what should i do next? I added about 1 ounce of 44K to super unleaded. The bike has 27k miles. Thanks for any help, Larry