'03 gas tank for sale

DSN_KLR650
Fred Hink

carb conversion

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks!  Yes, the VM adds fun to your KLR.  It will run like it was intended to run and not how the lovely EPA wants it to.   You need to be careful anytime you make a change to the way your bike runs.  Get to know it first before running it hard.  I see accidents here all the time with the stock carb on the KLR where a rider is making a climbing turn and with not enough momentum the vacuum is not there to lift the slide and the rider will low side, falling into the turn.  The VM will be just the opposite.  If you are used to the CVK, be careful of grabbing a handful of throttle on the VM at low speeds as it may buck you off the trail.   Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:50 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com ; mjearl4@... [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion     So far, (the weather has not been cooperative) I am happy with the throttle response of the VM carb.  I actually got too much throttle a couple of times in the woods on a single track!  The bike runs clean and strong up to 65 mph (5k rpm)   One fun thing - it starts more easily than it used to.  Thanks for your work, Fred! Don Dodge   On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Martin Earl mjearl4@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[u][/u]   Does the carb kit include a throttle cable or do we use the OEM KLR cable? [img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fipmcdn.avast.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Ficons%2Ficon-envelope-tick-round-orange-v1.png&t=1571810452&sig=1Ihe8nTMpcXy5ZxtylaKAw--~E[/img] Virus-free. www.avast.com   On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM, 'Fred Hink' moabmc@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I sold a Mikuni carb kit and an Air/Fuel Ratio Monitor to jettin Jim who said he was going to run his KLR before and after on a dyno.  So far I have not heard any results.  I doubt there is going to be much difference and any difference should be the result of the jetting that has been chosen.  The Mikuni carb s advantage is not in making more total horsepower but the drivability of the bike and having more power down low in the power-band can be felt in your seat of the pants dyno. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, March 25, 2016 12:11 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion    

Just wanting to close the loop of "I wonder". Has anyone made a quantitative comparison as to maximum power between the two carbs?

Don Dodge

carb conversion

Post by Don Dodge » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:03 pm

It is my thought that the ratio remains as it was, but you end up with less oxygen in the mix as the air is less dense. I defer to any scientists among us. Hopefully, I'll get some mileage numbers the next week or so. I do have a 14 tooth on the front, but was still getting over 50mpg with the CVK. Don
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM, 'Fred Hink' moabmc@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] I don t get it. If the slide meters the amount of air to your engine and the needle and needle jet meter the fuel at mid-range and all these are fixed together, how does this change the fuel/air ratio at elevation? Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Sunday, March 27, 2016 9:31 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion There IS a small amount of compensation for altitude in the CVK and similar carbs, because the slide is positioned by the difference between atmospheric pressure and engine vacuum. As you climb a mountain the pressure below the diaphragm becomes lower, so that there is less difference above and below. This means that the slide (and needle) does not lift as far and the rider will give it more throttle to maintain progress. I've done a few trips around the Pyr n es where bikes with standard cable slides would stop for needle adjustment, but those with diaphragm carbs didn't need to do anything.

hillrallyuk

carb conversion

Post by hillrallyuk » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Fred - as Dan says - the density of the air at high altitude is lower, so there is less oxygen in the air to burn. Yes, the volume is the same and the metering is still the same, but the amount of oxygen in that same amount of air is lower. I would love to hear the scientists chirp in too!

achesley43@ymail.com

carb conversion

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:17 pm

As per my wife, years ago at the top of Mt. Evans, told not to smoke. While son and I walked to the little observatory at the very top, very slowly with many breaks ,she decided to light up! Getting back down to the car, asking daughter where mom was, and the answer, in the back seat sick. Why was my question. Daughter > she had to light up a cigarette. Down the mountain we went. So we could get her oxygen level back to not being with altitude sickness. 
The beauty of FI, self adjusting. As I've been up above 14K feet on both carbed and fi engines, give me FI. 

Ateam

carb conversion

Post by Ateam » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:43 pm

We appreciated the 15 minute wait on a TE 610 Husky EFI to start the bike on the New Mexico BDR last week.  It only happened like every other time the bike was stopped.   Also lucky I had my Micro Start with me as draining the battery trying to start that fine Austrian machine required jump starting.   Potato/ketchup I reckon.  We only rode up above 9000 feet a few times so my old carbureted KLR never complained. Ateam   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:48 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion    

As per my wife, years ago at the top of Mt. Evans, told not to smoke. While son and I walked to the little observatory at the very top, very slowly with many breaks ,she decided to light up! Getting back down to the car, asking daughter where mom was, and the answer, in the back seat sick. Why was my question. Daughter > she had to light up a cigarette. Down the mountain we went. So we could get her oxygen level back to not being with altitude sickness.  The beauty of FI, self adjusting. As I've been up above 14K feet on both carbed and fi engines, give me FI.  

Mike Frey

'03 gas tank for sale

Post by Mike Frey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:43 pm

I did the same on the bike that brought me to Motorcycle Life Part 2, a 1986 Kawasaki ZX1000r (originally my brother's bike) - with a tank design very similar to the KLR - the fuel tap is above the lowest point in the tank.

Water droplet build up had created several weeping holes along the lower welded seam. I sanded the area to find the soft spots and was dismayed to find some holes that I could push a pin through. Some spots were so thin that you could push the metal in and out with your finger. I figured that I had little to lose, so I took a nail set punch to create a small crater at each hole, filled the area with JB Weld, pushing it in so that it would "mushroom" out inside the tank.

I didn't stop there. With a POR-15 kit, I cleaned and sealed the tank from the inside. Two years later, when I traded the 1000 for my 2004 KLR (wish I had kept the 1000, they've actually increased in value since...), it was all working fine.

Despite never having much body work experience, I thought my work was pretty good. It took a very close eye to see where I had fixed it. As far as I know, that tank was still good 5+ years later.

Mike

'04 KLR, still bright red because the only time it's outside is when I'm riding it. "NO PINK KLR FOR ME"

'06 KLR, still bright green because it sits in a dark California shed awaiting my infrequent visits: 4,000 miles on it.

P.S.: "Motorcycle Life Part 2" = the point at which, after 18 years of non-riding, while I raised two fine kids and became re-addicted around the turn of the century. One bike I kept all that time is my 1976 Suzuki GT-750 "Water Buffalo", which slumbered in my basement for those 18 years. One carb cleaning and a new battery and it started right up as if it had only been sitting for a month. I still have it, but it's again sitting around doing nothing - I usually ride the KLR, despite having a choice of 5 street legal bikes and 4 non registered oldies to choose from. The KLR just takes me more places than any other bike.

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:56 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN KLR650; Eric Suhr [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] '03 Gas Tank For Sale

I experienced the same 'leak' with a 99 KLR250; a spot weld rusted through.

Sanded the spot, used a coating of JB QUICK weld, allowed to dry.  Applied a second coat to a slight larger area, with positive results.

It was holding good 3 years later, and I am sure the new owner of 4 years is having the same results.

m1.

[img]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fipmcdn.avast.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Ficons%2Ficon-envelope-tick-round-orange-v1.png&t=1571810459&sig=bx41bhxiu82jHShEogBzFQ--~E[/img]

No threats detected. www.avast.com

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Eric Suhr delsuhr@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I have a spare tank from my green 2003 KLR for sale.  The paint and graphics are generally in very good condition BUT it weeps from a leak in the seam in the lower left.  I never noticed it dripping or saw anything on the garage floor; my mechanic spotted some residue that the skid plate had captured.  We sanded off a small patch of paint and found some tiny pinholes.  I m quite certain that the tank is salvageable and usable.  I bought some Caswell Gas Tank Sealer but never got around to trying it, and will include it with the sale.  You ll need a new cap and petcock, however, as I used the originals on another tank I bought.

Asking $75 for the tank and sealer (the sealer alone was $50), and buyer pays shipping.

Detailed photos available.  Please contact me offline if interested at delsuhr@....

Thanks,

Eric Suhr

Somerville, NJ