so close yet........

DSN_KLR650
zoot .

tachometer death

Post by zoot . » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Les update du jour. Pulled the tachy today. Charged up an old battery and gave direct power and ground. No motion when B was jumped to BK. Even took the circuit board out and jumped directly to the board, and then to the tach coil wires (not knowing whether that would work... it didn't.) Tried testing continuity on various diodes, with only one giving no reading. Me? or the tool? or the diode? Yeah, could be. Anyway, problem seems within the tach unit somehow and makes me think that maybe this bike is a Sagittarius that will just casually discard the unnecessary items she doesn't feel she needs. Hell, tachs only good for break in right? and we're past all that. The temptation to swipe my the tach from my wife's bike to see if replacement makes a difference is tempered by not wanting to tear apart things that are working (like my marriage), with the knowledge that I'll just have to put them back together again. I'll probably wait to see if a tach turns up on the cheap side to test whether it makes a difference. In the meanwhile, at least I still have the temperature gauge. There is a small adjustable component on the circuit board that temps me to "adjust" in the off chance that it would make a difference, but minor one way and then the other initial tests were not promising. Tough to adjust what I don't have a clue as to function. Unless of course it's my taxes. Thanks folks for the straight up advice. Great wiring diagrams Norm, but I don't think I'll pursue connections further as 1) Purr's running great, and 2) Signal at the BK tach connection appeared strong and varied nicely with the rpm of the engine. I'll take any heads up on an extra tach for testing that you see. Otherwise like any good Sagittarian, I'll let her keep moving and looking for what's around the next corner. t. Gauges.... we don't need no stinking gauges On 6/7/2015 10:06 AM, 'Norm Keller' normkel32@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Todd, here is some more detailed information on the Gen1 wiring which I put together. If it turns out that you have a wire issue, the routing and junctions may help to locate the problem. I'd also appreciate any feed back as to errors, what makes it hard to use/what would make it easier, etc. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uha92pqkxq4eoaw/AABwFh5AIevN4dlJeZUitdjsa?dl=0

jeffsaline

tachometer death

Post by jeffsaline » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:52 pm

#ygrps-yiv-2096887190 .ygrps-yiv-2096887190ygrp-photo-title { OVERFLOW:hidden;FONT-SIZE:smaller;HEIGHT:15px;WIDTH:75px;TEXT-ALIGN:center;CLEAR:both;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190ygrp-photo { BORDER-TOP:black 1px solid;HEIGHT:62px;BORDER-RIGHT:black 1px solid;WIDTH:62px;BACKGROUND-REPEAT:no-repeat;BORDER-BOTTOM:black 1px solid;BACKGROUND-POSITION:center 50%;BORDER-LEFT:black 1px solid;BACKGROUND-COLOR:white;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190photo-title A { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190photo-title A:active { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190photo-title A:hover { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190photo-title A:visited { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-row { CLEAR:both;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-row DIV { FLOAT:left;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 P { OVERFLOW:hidden;PADDING-BOTTOM:3px;PADDING-TOP:15px;PADDING-LEFT:0px;CLEAR:both;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190ygrp-file { WIDTH:30px;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-row DIV DIV A { TEXT-DECORATION:none;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-table DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190attach-row DIV DIV SPAN { FONT-WEIGHT:normal;} #ygrps-yiv-2096887190 DIV.ygrps-yiv-2096887190ygrp-file-title { FONT-WEIGHT:bold;} Les update du jour. Pulled the tachy today.  Charged up an old battery and gave direct power and ground.  No motion when B was jumped to BK.  Even took the circuit board out and jumped directly to the board, and then to the tach coil wires (not knowing whether that would work... it didn't.)  Tried testing continuity on various diodes, with only one giving no reading.  Me? or the tool? or the diode?  Yeah, could be.  Anyway, problem seems within the tach unit somehow and makes me think that maybe this bike is a Sagittarius that will just casually discard the unnecessary items she doesn't feel she needs.  Hell, tachs only good for break in right? and we're past all that. The temptation to swipe my the tach from my wife's bike to see if replacement makes a difference is tempered by not wanting to tear apart things that are working (like my marriage), with the knowledge that I'll just have to put them back together again.  I'll probably wait to see if a tach turns up on the cheap side to test whether it makes a difference.  In the meanwhile, at least I still have the temperature gauge. There is a small adjustable component on the circuit board that temps me to "adjust" in the off chance that it would make a difference, but minor one way and then the other initial tests were not promising.  Tough to adjust what I don't have a clue as to function.  Unless of course it's my taxes. Thanks folks for the straight up advice.  Great wiring diagrams Norm, but I don't think I'll pursue connections further as 1) Purr's running great, and 2) Signal at the BK tach connection appeared strong and varied nicely with the rpm of the engine. I'll take any heads up on an extra tach for testing that you see.  Otherwise like any good Sagittarian, I'll let her keep moving and looking for what's around the next corner. t. Gauges.... we don't need no stinking gauges   ____________________________________________________________ [b]Old School Yearbook Pics[/b] View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now! classmates.com

RobertWichert

tachometer death

Post by RobertWichert » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:31 pm

Do not ignore the small voice saying "buy new... buy new... buy new..." Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C HERS I/II CEPE CEA BPI CERTIFIED SF/MF GREEN POINT RATER +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 =============================================== On 6/7/2015 2:50 PM, salinej1@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Les update du jour. Pulled the tachy today. Charged up an old battery and gave direct power and ground. No motion when B was jumped to BK. Even took the circuit board out and jumped directly to the board, and then to the tach coil wires (not knowing whether that would work... it didn't.) Tried testing continuity on various diodes, with only one giving no reading. Me? or the tool? or the diode? Yeah, could be. Anyway, problem seems within the tach unit somehow and makes me think that maybe this bike is a Sagittarius that will just casually discard the unnecessary items she doesn't feel she needs. Hell, tachs only good for break in right? and we're past all that. The temptation to swipe my the tach from my wife's bike to see if replacement makes a difference is tempered by not wanting to tear apart things that are working (like my marriage), with the knowledge that I'll just have to put them back together again. I'll probably wait to see if a tach turns up on the cheap side to test whether it makes a difference. In the meanwhile, at least I still have the temperature gauge. There is a small adjustable component on the circuit board that temps me to "adjust" in the off chance that it would make a difference, but minor one way and then the other initial tests were not promising. Tough to adjust what I don't have a clue as to function. Unless of course it's my taxes. Thanks folks for the straight up advice. Great wiring diagrams Norm, but I don't think I'll pursue connections further as 1) Purr's running great, and 2) Signal at the BK tach connection appeared strong and varied nicely with the rpm of the engine. I'll take any heads up on an extra tach for testing that you see. Otherwise like any good Sagittarian, I'll let her keep moving and looking for what's around the next corner. t. Gauges.... we don't need no stinking gauges ____________________________________________________________ [b]Old School Yearbook Pics[/b] View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School Year. Look Now! classmates.com