rotax engines and husqvarna

DSN_KLR650
Steve McCaskie

tank bags

Post by Steve McCaskie » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:54 pm

Having used and abused a number of tank bags on a variety of bikes over the years, long ago I settled on the Dual Star tank bag for the KLR650. It is perfect fit, secure (molded to / hugs the tank) yet easy on / off, and can pack enough for days. The design and workmanship is excellent. When fully loaded it is sometimes in the way a bit for technical off road work (read full lock / steep up / down) while standing on the pegs. Of course it is not the least expensive but like many things you get what you pay for. I have also admired the Wolfman products and met / was very impressed with Eric on the Big Dog ride this past summer. His KLR bag is half the cost of the Dual Star bag and many folks will likely find it a better bag for all but the multiday / around the world trips. I'm looking at his Enduro bag for my KTM. Cheers! Steve St. Louis

squasher_1

tank bags

Post by squasher_1 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:01 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Steve McCaskie" wrote:
> > Having used and abused a number of tank bags on a variety of bikes > over the years, long ago I settled on the Dual Star tank bag for
the
> KLR650. It is perfect fit, secure (molded to / hugs the tank) yet > easy on / off, and can pack enough for days. The design and > workmanship is excellent. When fully loaded it is sometimes in the > way a bit for technical off road work (read full lock / steep up / > down) while standing on the pegs. Of course it is not the least > expensive but like many things you get what you pay for. I have > also admired the Wolfman products and met / was very impressed with > Eric on the Big Dog ride this past summer. His KLR bag is half the > cost of the Dual Star bag and many folks will likely find it a > better bag for all but the multiday / around the world trips. I'm > looking at his Enduro bag for my KTM. > Cheers! > Steve > St. Louis
I second that opinion on the Dual Star bag. I think it's worth the extra money! There is nothing wrong with the wolfman explorer it's a great bag, but it seems to flop around and not hold as much as the DS bag

Steve H.

tank bags

Post by Steve H. » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:47 pm

Forgive me for asking a same old question. I'm a tank bag guy and am fed up with the jury rigged effort I now have. I use a perfectly good tank bag from my Honda that was made to fit a flat topped tank. I've adapted it to fit the KLR, but can't just take it off for a coffee stop etc. Has anyone used the Dual Star bag made specifically for the KLR ? I see there is a Wolfman that fits several models with the same straps. Does it fit well ? Why can't they make tank tops flat ? It's the best place to carry a load and is reassuring if you carry a phone, keys and a camera as you can always see it ! Plus the weight is up front. Thanks for any replies, Steve

Tengai Mark Van Horn

tank bags

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:53 pm

At 8:47 PM +0000 1/21/05, Steve H. wrote:
>Forgive me for asking a same old question. ... I see there is a >Wolfman that fits several models with >the same straps. Does it fit well ?
Wolfman has a KLR650-specific harness to mount the Explorer tank bag. I am quite satisfied with it. Mark

cactus_reese

tank bags

Post by cactus_reese » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:09 pm

The easiest bag to get on and off is the Kawasaki KLR650 tank bag. I remove mine for washing the bike. No need to undo anything when adding gas. Not as much capacity as the others but also inexpensive. I have used mine for 5 years. Had to restich where one of the hooks attaches. I carry a small toolset, tire patch kit, sunglasses, camera, and a cell pone in it without expanding it. Unzipping the expander would add more room. When partially full it tends to droop in your lap, but it is not a big annoyance factor. -Bryan --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Tengai Mark Van Horn wrote:
> At 8:47 PM +0000 1/21/05, Steve H. wrote: > >Forgive me for asking a same old question. ... I see there is a > >Wolfman that fits several models with > >the same straps. Does it fit well ? > > Wolfman has a KLR650-specific harness to mount the Explorer tank
bag.
> I am quite satisfied with it. > > Mark

Tengai Mark Van Horn

tank bags

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:15 pm

At 9:09 PM +0000 1/21/05, cactus_reese wrote:
>The easiest bag to get on and off is the Kawasaki KLR650 tank bag. >I remove mine for washing the bike. No need to undo anything when >adding gas.
How do you get it out of the way of the gas cap without undoing anything? Mark

Paul Wilson

tank bags

Post by Paul Wilson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:35 pm

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:15:12 -0500, Tengai Mark Van Horn wrote:
> > At 9:09 PM +0000 1/21/05, cactus_reese wrote: > >The easiest bag to get on and off is the Kawasaki KLR650 tank bag. > >I remove mine for washing the bike. No need to undo anything when > >adding gas. > > How do you get it out of the way of the gas cap without undoing anything? > > Mark >
It rides below the gas cap, out of the way. I've got one, it's adequate for daily commuting use. Holds the disk lock and other junk. -- Paul in DC - www.wilsonline.org 95 VFR - 90 KLR

gavinmacfarlane

tank bags

Post by gavinmacfarlane » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:47 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Steve H." wrote:
> > Forgive me for asking a same old question. I'm a tank bag guy and am > fed up with the jury rigged effort I now have. I use a perfectly > good tank bag from my Honda that was made to fit a flat topped tank. > I've adapted it to fit the KLR, but can't just take it off for a > coffee stop etc. Has anyone used the Dual Star bag made specifically > for the KLR ? I see there is a Wolfman that fits several models with > the same straps. Does it fit well ? > Why can't they make tank tops flat ? It's the best place to carry a > load and is reassuring if you carry a phone, keys and a camera as > you can always see it ! Plus the weight is up front. > > Thanks for any replies, Steve
Has anyone tried the Wolfman ExplorerLite bag yet? On Freds site http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/wolfman_explorerlite.html Gavin A18 Victoria Australia

Erik

tank bags

Post by Erik » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:49 pm

>> Forgive me for asking a same old question. ... I see there is a >> Wolfman that fits several models with >> the same straps. Does it fit well ? > > Wolfman has a KLR650-specific harness to mount the Explorer tank bag. > I am quite satisfied with it. >
i'm quite satisfied with mine as well. only problem has been that the left front clip is a bit hard to reach while the bike is in standarded parked positiion (ie bars all the way left). once i got into the habit of forcing the bars straight before trying to at/detach it, it was really easy. it's been really useful for running little errands or picking up dinner. i've found take out for two fits it pretty perfectly, from a variety of restaurants. (for reference: i commute daily and bring the bag into my office every day. it typically stays on the bike in the garage at home.) erik

Arden Kysely

tank bags

Post by Arden Kysely » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:53 pm

I have the Wolfman Explorer with the KLR straps and it fits great. Holds a fair amount of stuff too, for something built on a slope to fit the tank. With some egg crate style foam padding in the bottom I've carried a 35mm camera over hundreds of miles of dirt roads with no ill effects. A friend of mine had the Kawi bag. It's OK, but not built for the long or large haul. The Explorer unclips easily at the front for gas fills, the Kawi bag is sewn to a tank bra that has a hole for the gas cap, IIRC. If you happen to have an old Eclipse standard tank bag (3 point mount) laying around, you can mount it upside down with decent results, but it will move around a bit. __Arden --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Steve H." wrote:
> > Forgive me for asking a same old question. I'm a tank bag guy and
am
> fed up with the jury rigged effort I now have. I use a perfectly > good tank bag from my Honda that was made to fit a flat topped
tank.
> I've adapted it to fit the KLR, but can't just take it off for a > coffee stop etc. Has anyone used the Dual Star bag made
specifically
> for the KLR ? I see there is a Wolfman that fits several models
with
> the same straps. Does it fit well ? > Why can't they make tank tops flat ? It's the best place to carry a > load and is reassuring if you carry a phone, keys and a camera as > you can always see it ! Plus the weight is up front. > > Thanks for any replies, Steve