nklr georgeous old iron

DSN_KLR650
k650@verizon.net

a new trick i figured out

Post by k650@verizon.net » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I think the mistake you are making is when the engine stalls you are pulling in the clutch and coasting to the side of the road? Just leave that clutch lever alone. The engine will continue to turn and in a few seconds will reignite once it has drawn fuel from the tank. Walt -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RobertWichert Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:11 Cc: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out But maybe everybody knows about it... It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike would stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would stall. I ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has something to do with it, but it would always stall. I would have to coast to the side of the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart it. Using the enricher (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to the gas station after that. BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) to full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. Worked once, anyway. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Sorry Walt, I have ridden quite a bit and gone onto reserve probably thousands of times. I always ride to reserve and none of my bikes has ever had a gauge, so I'm familiar with the process. The problem is that at freeway speed, with a dead engine, you are slowing down pretty darned fast. And yes, normally all you do is move the lever, nothing else is required. As a matter of fact, I switch long before it dies. I switch when it sputters. What I have experienced on the freeway is that it dies when I switch. So I go from "sputter" to "switch" to "die" to "get the ***K off the road. I suspect it is something about air in the reserve line, but that's just a guess. I got it solved now though! Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 11:03 AM, k650@... wrote: > > I think the mistake you are making is when the engine stalls you are > pulling > in the clutch and coasting to the side of the road? > > Just leave that clutch lever alone. The engine will continue to turn > and in > a few seconds will reignite once it has drawn fuel from the tank. > > Walt > > -----Original Message----- > From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > ] On > Behalf Of RobertWichert > Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:11 > Cc: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out > > But maybe everybody knows about it... > > It used to be that whenever I ran out of gas on the freeway, the bike > would > stall. Even if I switched to reserve as fast as I could, it would stall. I > ride at about 6,000 RPM on the freeway, so maybe that has something to do > with it, but it would always stall. I would have to coast to the side of > the freeway (not fun on either side) and restart it. Using the enricher > (choke) helped to get it started. It ran OK to the gas station after that. > > BUT THEN THE EPIPHANY! > > Yesterday I switched to reserve and also pushed the enrichener (choke) to > full rich (choked) at the same time. VOILA! No stall. > > Worked once, anyway. > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > +1 916 966 9060 > FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

Post by Jeff Saline » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:12:11 -0800 RobertWichert writes: SNIP
> As a matter of fact, I switch long before it dies. I switch when it > > sputters. What I have experienced on the freeway is that it dies > when I > switch. So I go from "sputter" to "switch" to "die" to "get the > ***K > off the road. I suspect it is something about air in the reserve > line, > but that's just a guess. I got it solved now though! > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
<><><><><><> <><><><><><> Robert, Thought I'd try to help clear up a misconception. There is no air in the reserve as the reserve is immersed in fuel. There is air in the rest of the fuel delivery plumbing as it will have been sucking air for about 1/2-3/4 mile before you will know about it. When you switch from main to reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the tank. The swap happens directly behind the selector lever on the side of the petcock. Of course it does take a few seconds for fuel to flow to the carb and fill the bowl. The indications of a low fuel supply don't happen until the fuel level in the carb bowl is low. You for sure have a strange situation on your hands but it's good you've experimented enough to figure out how to handle it. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . ____________________________________________________________ OVERSTOCK ipads: $30.93 Get 32GB Apple iPad for as low as $30.93. Limit 1.Day. Grab yours Now! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50bfdd2568abe5d251e6fst02vuc

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks for the explanation, Jeff, but the long hose isn't necessarily full of fuel until some is sucked into it by the carburetor. It cold be full of air. Why not? Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 3:39 PM, Jeff Saline wrote: > > On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:12:11 -0800 RobertWichert > > writes: > > SNIP > > > As a matter of fact, I switch long before it dies. I switch when it > > > > sputters. What I have experienced on the freeway is that it dies > > when I > > switch. So I go from "sputter" to "switch" to "die" to "get the > > ***K > > off the road. I suspect it is something about air in the reserve > > line, > > but that's just a guess. I got it solved now though! > > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > <><><><><><> > <><><><><><> > > Robert, > > Thought I'd try to help clear up a misconception. There is no air in the > reserve as the reserve is immersed in fuel. There is air in the rest of > the fuel delivery plumbing as it will have been sucking air for about > 1/2-3/4 mile before you will know about it. When you switch from main to > reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main > straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the > tank. The swap happens directly behind the selector lever on the side of > the petcock. Of course it does take a few seconds for fuel to flow to > the carb and fill the bowl. The indications of a low fuel supply don't > happen until the fuel level in the carb bowl is low. > > You for sure have a strange situation on your hands but it's good you've > experimented enough to figure out how to handle it. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 > > . > . > __________________________________________________________ > OVERSTOCK ipads: $30.93 > Get 32GB Apple iPad for as low as $30.93. Limit 1.Day. Grab yours Now! > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50bfdd2568abe5d251e6fst02vuc > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:14 am

Fuel is delivered to the KLR and most carbureted bikes by gravity. If the carburetor is higher than the bottom of the fuel tank then there is most likely a fuel pump involved in the transfer. If there is air and some fuel in the line, it can t fill with fuel until the air has a way out. Same principal as how the Tee Vent Kits work. Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com From: RobertWichert Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:41 AM To: Jeff Saline Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out Thanks for the explanation, Jeff, but the long hose isn't necessarily full of fuel until some is sucked into it by the carburetor. It cold be full of air. Why not? Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/5/2012 3:39 PM, Jeff Saline wrote: > > On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:12:11 -0800 RobertWichert > > writes: > > SNIP > > > As a matter of fact, I switch long before it dies. I switch when it > > > > sputters. What I have experienced on the freeway is that it dies > > when I > > switch. So I go from "sputter" to "switch" to "die" to "get the > > ***K > > off the road. I suspect it is something about air in the reserve > > line, > > but that's just a guess. I got it solved now though! > > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > <><><><><><> > <><><><><><> > > Robert, > > Thought I'd try to help clear up a misconception. There is no air in the > reserve as the reserve is immersed in fuel. There is air in the rest of > the fuel delivery plumbing as it will have been sucking air for about > 1/2-3/4 mile before you will know about it. When you switch from main to > reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main > straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the > tank. The swap happens directly behind the selector lever on the side of > the petcock. Of course it does take a few seconds for fuel to flow to > the carb and fill the bowl. The indications of a low fuel supply don't > happen until the fuel level in the carb bowl is low. > > You for sure have a strange situation on your hands but it's good you've > experimented enough to figure out how to handle it. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 > > . > . > __________________________________________________________ > OVERSTOCK ipads: $30.93 > Get 32GB Apple iPad for as low as $30.93. Limit 1.Day. Grab yours Now! > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50bfdd2568abe5d251e6fst02vuc > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 am

When you switch from main to reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the tank. Yes, and from my experience say eastern Colorado or Baja Mexico that reserve straw was way too short; I figured it allowed a half gallon or so - of fuel. I lengthened said straw and now have maybe 1 1/3 gallons on reserve. The main advantage is that I no longer fuel up ahead of time out of fear. The last pope quoting Isaiah, I think, often said, " Do not be afraid ". I posted the specs on this very list a few years ago. I now longer have the information as that file was lost in one of my computer mishaps. Oh well Bogdan [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:49 am

Right, but is that longer straw full of fuel? I think not. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/6/2012 8:02 AM, Bogdan Swider wrote: > When you switch from main to > > reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main > straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the > tank. > > Yes, and from my experience say eastern Colorado or Baja Mexico > that reserve straw was way too short; I figured it allowed a half > gallon or so - of fuel. I lengthened said straw and now have maybe 1 > 1/3 gallons on reserve. The main advantage is that I no longer fuel > up ahead of time out of fear. The last pope quoting Isaiah, I think, > often said, " Do not be afraid ". I posted the specs on this very list > a few years ago. I now longer have the information as that file was > lost in one of my computer mishaps. Oh well > > Bogdan > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am

I don't know, Robert. With your credentials, you seem more the science fair guy then me. Why can't the straw sit there full of fuel ? Bogdan, curious in Colorado
On 12/6/12 9:49 AM, "RobertWichert" wrote: >Right, but is that longer straw full of fuel? I think not. > > >Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C >+1 916 966 9060 >FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > > > > >=============================================== > >On 12/6/2012 8:02 AM, Bogdan Swider wrote: >> When you switch from main to >> >> reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main >> straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the >> tank. >> >> Yes, and from my experience say eastern Colorado or Baja Mexico >> that reserve straw was way too short; I figured it allowed a half >> gallon or so - of fuel. I lengthened said straw and now have maybe 1 >> 1/3 gallons on reserve. The main advantage is that I no longer fuel >> up ahead of time out of fear. The last pope quoting Isaiah, I think, >> often said, " Do not be afraid ". I posted the specs on this very list >> a few years ago. I now longer have the information as that file was >> lost in one of my computer mishaps. Oh well >> >> Bogdan >> >> > > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >------------------------------------ > >List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com >Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map >Group Apps: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! >Groups Links > > > > >

mark ward

Post by mark ward » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am

Do to....The point at witch this story starts is........Running out of fuel and needing to switch over to the shorter straw. As with MANY MANY of these threads, it may start out "Oil", switch to chains, then into The best burger I ever had. (while dragging peg's in a sweep.) LOL
--- On Thu, 12/6/12, Bogdan Swider wrote: From: Bogdan Swider Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out To: "RobertWichert" Cc: "Jeff Saline" , "DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 5:04 PM I don't know, Robert. With your credentials, you seem more the science fair guy then me. Why can't the straw sit there full of fuel ? Bogdan, curious in Colorado On 12/6/12 9:49 AM, "RobertWichert" wrote: >Right, but is that longer straw full of fuel? I think not. > > >Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C >+1 916 966 9060 >FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > > > > >=============================================== > >On 12/6/2012 8:02 AM, Bogdan Swider wrote: >> When you switch from main to >> >> reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main >> straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the >> tank. >> >> Yes, and from my experience say eastern Colorado or Baja Mexico >> that reserve straw was way too short; I figured it allowed a half >> gallon or so - of fuel. I lengthened said straw and now have maybe 1 >> 1/3 gallons on reserve. The main advantage is that I no longer fuel >> up ahead of time out of fear. The last pope quoting Isaiah, I think, >> often said, " Do not be afraid ". I posted the specs on this very list >> a few years ago. I now longer have the information as that file was >> lost in one of my computer mishaps. Oh well >> >> Bogdan >> >> > > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >------------------------------------ > >List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com >Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map >Group Apps: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! >Groups Links > > > > > ------------------------------------ List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/app/peoplemap/view/map Group Apps: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR650/grouplets/subscriptionsYahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:55 am

What is your point, Mark ? That we should keep to themes we've exhausted ? Ever converse around the camp fire ? What's wrong with a little stream of consciousness ? Bogdan From: mark ward > Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:31 AM To: RobertWichert >, Bogdan Swider > Cc: Jeff Saline >, "DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.comDSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com>" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.comDSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com>> Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out Do to....The point at witch this story starts is........Running out of fuel and needing to switch over to the shorter straw. As with MANY MANY of these threads, it may start out "Oil", switch to chains, then into The best burger I ever had. (while dragging peg's in a sweep.) LOL
--- On Thu, 12/6/12, Bogdan Swider > wrote: From: Bogdan Swider > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] A new trick I figured out To: "RobertWichert" > Cc: "Jeff Saline" >, "DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.comDSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com>" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.comDSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com>> Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 5:04 PM I don't know, Robert. With your credentials, you seem more the science fair guy then me. Why can't the straw sit there full of fuel ? Bogdan, curious in Colorado On 12/6/12 9:49 AM, "RobertWichert" http://us.mc1847.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=robert@...>> wrote: >Right, but is that longer straw full of fuel? I think not. > > >Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C >+1 916 966 9060 >FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > > > > >=============================================== > >On 12/6/2012 8:02 AM, Bogdan Swider wrote: >> When you switch from main to >> >> reserve all you are doing is changing the fuel supply from the tall main >> straw in the tank to the shorter reserve straw right next to it in the >> tank. >> >> Yes, and from my experience say eastern Colorado or Baja Mexico >> that reserve straw was way too short; I figured it allowed a half >> gallon or so - of fuel. I lengthened said straw and now have maybe 1 >> 1/3 gallons on reserve. The main advantage is that I no longer fuel >> up ahead of time out of fear. The last pope quoting Isaiah, I think, >> often said, " Do not be afraid ". I posted the specs on this very list >> a few years ago. I now longer have the information as that file was >> lost in one of my computer mishaps. Oh well >> >> Bogdan >> >> > > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >------------------------------------ > >List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com >Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR65 ... p/view/map >Group Apps: >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR65 ... tionsYahoo! >Groups Links > > > > > ------------------------------------ List Sponsors - Dual Sport News: http://www.dualsportnews.com Arrowhead Motorsports: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR65 ... p/view/map Group Apps: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KLR65 ... tionsYahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]