nklr georgeous old iron

DSN_KLR650
Jeff Saline

a new trick i figured out

Post by Jeff Saline » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 03:52:50 -0000 "revmaaatin" writes:
> If the fuel cap is not properly venting [even in the slightest!], > you will get a slow change over. > > and the final thing that IMO might have the most impact: > Jeff Saline has a excellent photo essay write up on cleaning the > fuel cap vent one way 'mushroom' valve in the caps. Perhaps he will > provide a link. > > If either of those things help, let us know. > > revmaaatin.
<><><><><><> <><><><><><> Martin, Listers, Here's the link over at dot net on Fuel Cap Vent Cleaning. You'll have to log in to see/use it. http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101547 Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . ____________________________________________________________ Woman is 53 But Looks 25 Mom reveals 1 simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors... http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50c416ac34cec16ab517est01vuc

greg coyle

Post by greg coyle » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 pm

you're absolutely right... a head wind will knock your mileage all to hell. it also gives you an early chance to fill up and take a break. the wind is still better than being cold and wet... gregc
On 12/8/2012 8:19 PM, revmaaatin wrote: > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com , > greg coyle wrote: > > > > just a thought, but since our klr's get very consistent gas mileage > > maybe you could just fill up before you need to hit reserve... imho... > > gregc > > > > Greg > I almost agree with you. grin. > My mileage varies from 35 to ~55mpg, all a feature of headwind and RPM. > I suggest your observation should read, "our bikes get > [fairly]consistent gas mileage at 5Krpm in no- wind conditions." > > Flogging the pig and experiencing incredible headwinds (of the central > plains states) will cause the gas mileage to vary greatly. > Flog the pig into a head wind and it approaches 35mpg. Discovering that > your pig requires reserve at ~160miles can be disconcerting. > > Another thing you should note, if you hit reserve and it is a long ways > home, you should consider selecting max range mph = ~45mph and coast > going down hill. > > revmaaatin. >

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks Martin, for all the good ideas! Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/8/2012 7:52 PM, revmaaatin wrote: > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > , RobertWichert wrote: > SNIP > > > > Again, I'm not sure. I am only saying that at high load, on the > > freeway, shaking away at 6,000 RPM where I ride, it seems to have a big > > lag between switching the valve and the engine getting the fuel that > > could be caused by air in the reserve line. > > Robert, > In three KLR's, (one is a 250, now 'sold') all three acted differently. > One stone cold dies, > One stumbles 15 sec's then dies > The 250 hesitated, then stone cold dies. > All three could be swithched to reserve before coming to a stop, > albeit maybe down to 40ish mph from 65+. They do slow down fast when > the fire goes out! > > One thing that has not been asked, > "Do you have a fuel filter installed?" > THAT will take longer [on some bikes] to build suffcient head pressure > to push through the filter. > > Personally, I think the the straw/screen is enough filter for this > guilded pit. shrug. > > It might be worth considering replacing the fuel line as a precaution. > and > If the fuel cap is not properly venting [even in the slightest!], you > will get a slow change over. > > and the final thing that IMO might have the most impact: > Jeff Saline has a excellent photo essay write up on cleaning the fuel > cap vent one way 'mushroom' valve in the caps. Perhaps he will provide > a link. > > If either of those things help, let us know. > > revmaaatin. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 am

I think the straw Bogdan lengthened is the main straw in the tank. That extra length means there is less fuel above the straw so you run out of main fuel sooner than with the shorter stock main straw. Absolutely ! I misspoke, as they say in Washington DC. My weird form of dyslexia surfaces yet again. I should read my own posts before pushing send. I wish the file with the specs hadn't vanished into internet neverland. It took a bit of work to figure out how much to lengthen the main straw. Always an unpleasant job when you're dealing with gasoline. Bogdan [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 am

I can't imagine working inside the tank. That sounds like a really messy job. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/9/2012 8:13 AM, Bogdan Swider wrote: > > > > I think the straw Bogdan lengthened is the main straw in the tank. That > extra length means there is less fuel above the straw so you run out of > main fuel sooner than with the shorter stock main straw. > > Absolutely ! I misspoke, as they say in Washington DC. My weird form > of dyslexia surfaces yet again. I should read my own posts before > pushing send. I wish the file with the specs hadn't vanished into > internet neverland. It took a bit of work to figure out how much to > lengthen the main straw. Always an unpleasant job when you're dealing > with gasoline. > > Bogdan > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

Post by Jeff Saline » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 pm

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 09:32:29 -0800 RobertWichert writes:
> I can't imagine working inside the tank. That sounds like a really > messy job. > > > Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
<><><><><><><> <><><><><><><> Robert, You don't have to work in the tank. Just take the tank off when it is less than half full. Or if you want to look at it from the other side take it off when it is more than half empty. : ) I attached a .jpg of the petcock. I know the list won't see it but you will. Sorry it's not really a good photo for showing the straws or sealing surface but it was taken for a different reason. Tip the tank on the front so the petcock is sticking out from the now vertical bottom. Remove the petcock as it's only held on by two bolts. Adjust the straw length as desired and then reinstall the petcock. I suggest you make sure the sealing surfaces are clean and maybe lube the petcock o-ring with silicone plumbers grease. Just enough to make it glisten. It should not be globed on. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 . . ____________________________________________________________ Veteran Home Loans Apply for VA Loans with competitive interest rates at Military.com. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50c4da5aed78d5a5a2bfast01vuc [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RobertWichert

Post by RobertWichert » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 pm

I'll be damned. You make it sound pretty easy, even though it still sounds messy to me. Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C +1 916 966 9060 FAX +1 916 966 9068 ===============================================
On 12/9/2012 10:34 AM, Jeff Saline wrote: > On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 09:32:29 -0800 RobertWichert > writes: >> I can't imagine working inside the tank. That sounds like a really >> messy job. >> >> >> Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C > <><><><><><><> > <><><><><><><> > > Robert, > > You don't have to work in the tank. Just take the tank off when it is > less than half full. Or if you want to look at it from the other side > take it off when it is more than half empty. : ) > > I attached a .jpg of the petcock. I know the list won't see it but you > will. Sorry it's not really a good photo for showing the straws or > sealing surface but it was taken for a different reason. > > Tip the tank on the front so the petcock is sticking out from the now > vertical bottom. Remove the petcock as it's only held on by two bolts. > Adjust the straw length as desired and then reinstall the petcock. > > I suggest you make sure the sealing surfaces are clean and maybe lube the > petcock o-ring with silicone plumbers grease. Just enough to make it > glisten. It should not be globed on. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 > > . > . > ____________________________________________________________ > Woman is 57 But Looks 27 > Mom publishes simple facelift trick that angered doctors... > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50c4da5aceedb5a5a4c71st03vuc

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, RobertWichert wrote:
> > I can't imagine working inside the tank. That sounds like a really > messy job. >
Bogdan, Robert W. Some inside jobs are easier than others. grin. I think I have the albatross, petcock long straw mod 'file' achieved. Unfortunately, it is in a computer I don't have access to right now. Hopefully, I will check the achieve after I am able to return to work in a few days. revmaaatin.

Michael Burwell

nklr georgeous old iron

Post by Michael Burwell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 am

Oh my goodness. No one ever told me about this place. Finally, a reason other than musical or culinary to visit Louisiana. Michael Sent from my iPad

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 am

If you knew, in advance, how long the newly configured straw needed to be it wouldn't be very messy. Figuring this our the first time wasn't a clean job. The messy part was guessing on the length and then draining the gas to see about how much - I was not able to know exactly - was then on reserve. It took several tries till I settled on 1 1/3 gallon or so. I sent this info to listers who did the job fairly easily. Hopefully someone has this info on file as mine is lost. Bogdan
On 12/9/12 11:40 AM, "RobertWichert" wrote: >I'll be damned. You make it sound pretty easy, even though it still >sounds messy to me. > > >Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C >+1 916 966 9060 >FAX +1 916 966 9068 > > > > > > > >=============================================== > >On 12/9/2012 10:34 AM, Jeff Saline wrote: >> On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 09:32:29 -0800 RobertWichert >> writes: >>> I can't imagine working inside the tank. That sounds like a really >>> messy job. >>> >>> >>> Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C >> <><><><><><><> >> <><><><><><><> >> >> Robert, >> >> You don't have to work in the tank. Just take the tank off when it is >> less than half full. Or if you want to look at it from the other side >> take it off when it is more than half empty. : ) >> >> I attached a .jpg of the petcock. I know the list won't see it but you >> will. Sorry it's not really a good photo for showing the straws or >> sealing surface but it was taken for a different reason. >> >> Tip the tank on the front so the petcock is sticking out from the now >> vertical bottom. Remove the petcock as it's only held on by two bolts. >> Adjust the straw length as desired and then reinstall the petcock. >> >> I suggest you make sure the sealing surfaces are clean and maybe lube >>the >> petcock o-ring with silicone plumbers grease. Just enough to make it >> glisten. It should not be globed on. >> >> Best, >> >> Jeff Saline >> ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal >> Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org >> The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota >> 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650 >> >> . >> . >> ____________________________________________________________ >> Woman is 57 But Looks 27 >> Mom publishes simple facelift trick that angered doctors... >> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50c4da5aceedb5a5a4c71st03vuc > > >