klr carb mod

DSN_KLR650
Rich Kickbush

hello i have a question

Post by Rich Kickbush » Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:40 pm

I think you might be running into 10% speedo error thing - I'm guessing Pat's working his numbers using gearcalc. 10% means your 100mph drops down to 90mph, 110 becomes 99mph etc - your speedo's may be out more than 10%, and /or - you guys don't fish by any chance?... Rich
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 6:05 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: hello i have a question > Dale: > > Hey buddy, I think I'll call a freindly Bull Shot here. A stock KLR > redlines in top gear at 106MPH. I'm not sure a stock KLR would even > be able to pull redline in top gear. > > Even if you had the 16 tooth front sprocket, you would redline at > 113MPH. I pretty darn sure the KLR couldn't pull redline in top gear > with 16 toother. > > Downhill run? Frictionless day? Piled a VFR motor into the KLR? > What the story? > > Pat > Austin TX > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > > we were doing around 115 before we got our tickets.. > > Dale > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

gyb@sprynet.com

hello i have a question

Post by gyb@sprynet.com » Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:54 pm

>hello I was just wondering do you think that the klr60 has enough >power to go around 85mph with a 5'9 260lbs guy on it? and do ya'll >think itcould make a 2000 mile trip with no problems?
It probably has enough power to do that. It definitely is reliable enough that I would take it on a 2K mile trip without too much thought. The question is, would I want to sit on a KLR at 85 MPH for 2K miles... See my previous post... ;-) Gustavo

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

hello i have a question

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Sat Mar 17, 2001 6:53 am

Has anybody ever redlined a stock KLR in top gear? I seem to recall that my '97 maxed out at about 99MPH, not quite redline. As follow on question: What is the *real* top gear with a 16 tooth front? With the KLR power, the top speed may be ever lower. Just wondering Pat Austin TX
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Rich Kickbush" wrote: > I think you might be running into 10% speedo error thing - I'm guessing > Pat's working his numbers using gearcalc. 10% means your 100mph drops down > to 90mph, 110 becomes 99mph etc - your speedo's may be out more than 10%, > and /or - you guys don't fish by any chance?... > > Rich > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: > Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 6:05 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: hello i have a question > > > > Dale: > > > > Hey buddy, I think I'll call a freindly Bull Shot here. A stock KLR > > redlines in top gear at 106MPH. I'm not sure a stock KLR would even > > be able to pull redline in top gear. > > > > Even if you had the 16 tooth front sprocket, you would redline at > > 113MPH. I pretty darn sure the KLR couldn't pull redline in top gear > > with 16 toother. > > > > Downhill run? Frictionless day? Piled a VFR motor into the KLR? > > What the story? > > > > Pat > > Austin TX > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > > > we were doing around 115 before we got our tickets.. > > > Dale > > > > > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@s... > > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > >

Mark

hello i have a question

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:08 am

At 12:52 PM +0000 3/17/01, IronJungle@... wrote:
>Has anybody ever redlined a stock KLR in top gear? > >I seem to recall that my '97 maxed out at about 99MPH, not quite >redline. > >As follow on question: What is the *real* top gear with a 16 tooth >front? With the KLR power, the top speed may be ever lower.
My Tengai with a 16T front sprocket & stock rear and new Kendas displays 5000 rpm at 80 mph indicated and near 6300 rpm at 100 mph indicated. Proportions would dictate that redline is 120 mph indicated. Mark B2 A2

Phil Roddenberry

klr carb mod

Post by Phil Roddenberry » Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:09 am

Hey Rich, The 'stock' Keihin jet sizes do correspond with mm sizes. (160 = 1.6mm, 155 = 1.55mm, 150 = 1.5mm, etc... ) Mikuni 'stock' jet sizes 'correspond'... but aren't interchangeable with Keihin, (or necessarily interchangeable within the 'Mikuni' line) Many companies that sell 'jet kits' have their own 'numbering system' for jets, as well as their own system of needles... not possible to use their 'numbers' and 'rejet' using 'stock' parts. So... 'factory' jet numbers 'tend' to follow a 'standard', 160 = 1.6mm diameter 'jet'. Aftermarket 'tends' to use their own numbering system. If you can 'do the math', all that is necessary is to determine the 'actual' diameter of a jet, (I do this by using drill bits as 'go, no-go' gauges) then figure the necessary drill size to increase the jet proportionately. (say a 5% increase in 'area' = 5% increase in flow) Using my 'math' the increase from a 150 (1.5mm) to a 160 (1.6mm) is an increase of 14%... personally, I would try a 155 (1.55mm) first, roughly a 7% increase. Harley-Davidson has a good selection of 'stock' jets for the 40mm Keihin CV since that is what comes 'stock' on their carburetor bikes. Phil A-15 Live Oak, FL
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Rich Kickbush" wrote: > > > > 160 = 1.6mm = 0.062992" > > > > A 1/16" (0.0625") drill bit could be used to carefully 'hand drill' > > your 'main' to a '160'... (use a 'pin vise' to hold the drill bit) > > > Your solution seems to suggest there's a constant for measuring jet size, > but I thought stock carb jet #'s are not compatible with DJ carb jet #'s. > Is this wrong, or does one use standard measuring and the other not? > > Rich