four minutes (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Norm Keller

chains & sprockets

Post by Norm Keller » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:16 pm

>Did you just say using wd40 on the chain >of a shaft drive motorcycle?
Yes, none of the manufacturers recommend it! (VBG) Norm As long as I'm not in my right mind....... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kestrelfal

chains & sprockets

Post by kestrelfal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:43 pm

Blake Sobiloff

chains & sprockets

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:52 pm

On Sep 1, 2006, at 3:42 PM, kestrelfal wrote:
I'm actually interested in this stuff, but I've never found anyone willing to sell by the individual can. Fred, do you know of a source? -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA)

usa1911a1

chains & sprockets

Post by usa1911a1 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:07 pm

I for one will be very interested in your experience with el cheapo. Please let us hear from later on. Capt. Bob in CT.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dooden" To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 7:07 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Chains & Sprockets > Feel for ya Glenn.. I got just over 7500 miles on my chain and I plan > on using the dremel on it tonight to cut it off and replace it with a > cheapy chain I ordered in through work. > > Basic 520 chain no O or X rings.. just a cheap chain. RK I think. for > under $20 I was hoping it would last at least long enough to make it > till the end of this riding season anyway or if really lucky till this > set of sprokets is toast also.. > > Reckon being submerged in a swamp for a few hours must have had a > lasting effect on it, wheel bearings were not so lucky. > > I ride in alot of dirt/dust/mud and looking at the near shredded O- > rings is what made me think cheapy chain. > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Gern Blanston" > wrote: > > > > I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, been cleaning (bi-weekly) the > > chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the Hwy. My chain Is > > shot, needs to be replaced - soon. Now, at 3500 miles I replaced my > > counter sprocket with a 16 tooth. I have moved the chain one tooth > at > > 6500 miles and was going to move it again with the bad chain hit me. > > ANY THOUGHTS? > > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Krgrife@aol.com

chains & sprockets

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:45 pm

In a message dated 9/1/2006 5:09:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, USA1911A1@... writes: I for one will be very interested in your experience with el cheapo. Please let us hear from later on. <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< As one who had to live with those chains back in the day when you just went to your local hardware store and picked up the appropriate length for a few bucks I can give a preview of the answer. The chain will be noisy and no matter how well you lube it or with what it will get noisier and wear at a rapid rate. It will get tight spots and loose spots and be difficult to adjust after a few miles. Modern chains are one of the great advances in motorcycling and well worth the money. I have no fond memories of those old style chains for street use. Racing where you throw it away after every event is a different matter. I started using "O" ring chains in the 70's and now use DID X-ring and I think in the long run its cheaper. I have never had a modern chain come apart on me and that was not an unusual occurrence with the old style chains. Kurt [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

chains & sprockets

Post by Jud Jones » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:45 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "kestrelfal" wrote:
So my chain will last 60,000 miles with this stuff?

tls@panix.com

chains & sprockets

Post by tls@panix.com » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:54 pm

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:42:16PM -0000, kestrelfal wrote:
"The penetrating oil in Moly Roller Chain Lube acts a carrier taking the moly into the pin and bushing..." every O-ring chain manufacturer I know recommends a strict time limit to any treatment of their chains with any light oil, much less a specialty penetrating oil, because of the degradation of the permanent grease behind the O-ring that can occur if light oil gets in there. Are you sure this product isn't intended only for non-O-ring chains? For example, if you look at their web site RK or DID will have some guidelines on washing the chain with kerosene. They recommend a couple of minutes tops if you're going to immerse it at all, specifically because of the risk of penetration of the O-rings by the light oil! Thor

Blake Sobiloff

chains & sprockets

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:13 pm

On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:54 PM, tls@... wrote:
> "The penetrating oil in Moly Roller Chain Lube acts a carrier taking > the moly into the pin and bushing..." every O-ring chain > manufacturer I > know recommends a strict time limit to any treatment of their chains > with any light oil, much less a specialty penetrating oil, because of > the degradation of the permanent grease behind the O-ring that can > occur if light oil gets in there. Are you sure this product isn't > intended only for non-O-ring chains?
Well, the very first sentence on that page calls it an "o-ring safe chain lubricant", so I guess it's up to you to decide whether that's marketing hooey or not. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA)

Dennis Holm

chains & sprockets

Post by Dennis Holm » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 am

Well I hope all you WD-40 junkies read this one. But don't dismay, WD-40 is still the best for taking out gum from the seat of your pants or taking off those sticky price stickers that come on your new coffee mugs! Cheers, Bigdroptwo Blake Sobiloff wrote:
On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:54 PM, tls@... wrote: > "The penetrating oil in Moly Roller Chain Lube acts a carrier taking > the moly into the pin and bushing..." every O-ring chain > manufacturer I > know recommends a strict time limit to any treatment of their chains > with any light oil, much less a specialty penetrating oil, because of > the degradation of the permanent grease behind the O-ring that can > occur if light oil gets in there. Are you sure this product isn't > intended only for non-O-ring chains? Well, the very first sentence on that page calls it an "o-ring safe chain lubricant", so I guess it's up to you to decide whether that's marketing hooey or not. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) --------------------------------- How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger s low PC-to-Phone call rates. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dennis Holm

chains & sprockets

Post by Dennis Holm » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:46 am

Thor, WD-40 claims it is. Maybe you should go read the label on the can. Better still, please explain why WD-40 is not to be included in your group of "penetrating oil." Good luck, Bigdroptwo Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:02:36PM -0700, Dennis Holm wrote: > Well I hope all you WD-40 junkies read this one. But don't dismay, WD-40 is still > the best for taking out gum from the seat of your pants or taking off those sticky price stickers that come on your new coffee mugs! WD-40 is not a penetrating oil; examples of those would be Liquid Wrench, Kroil, AeroKroil, Gunk Super Penetrant, and a number of others. If you have enough WD-40 on hand to soak your chain in, I'm sorry for you, because as a general purpose solvent of that weight you might have just as well used K-1 kerosene or Jet-A and saved a ton of money! Thor --------------------------------- Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1 /min. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]