potential caliper swap questio

DSN_KLR650
Zachariah Mully

rebuild 91' klr650

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:51 pm

Quoting Dooden :
> Vehicle Inspection line, for a motorcycle ? Even Illinois did'nt > test motorcycles AFAIK. > > Assuming smog test here and not saftey.
Dooden, you forget that I live at the bureaucratic center of the universe. If it doesn't involve surly, rude employees, waiting in line, unclear directions, frequent spontaneous changes in law and a blatent disregard for citizen's rights, it doesn't belong here ;) It wasn't even a smog test, just "high beam, low beam, left blinker, right blinker, foot brake, hand brake". So I waited in line for 2 hours, then had to wait for another 35 minutes because the attendant couldn't figure out where to put the inspection sticker. I told him not to stick it to the forks, but he insisted and it came right off (maybe because I sprayed WD40 on them just in case they tried to put it there? ;). Then he had to go print out another inspection sticker which after much persuading he finally just handed to me. The bike idles nice, that's for sure ;) Z DC A5X A12X

Devon Jarvis

potential caliper swap questio

Post by Devon Jarvis » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:35 pm

The KLR has a single-piston caliper, not a two-piston. The four-piston caliper is a great idea, but you have to make sure that it will clear the spokes, since it was designed to fit the mag wheel of a GSXR. The two pistons on the back side make it a LOT bigger than the fingers that hold the "dead" brake pad on the KLR caliper. Banjo fittings will be the easy part. Devon A15 Rick wrote:
>I am currently restoring a 1987 GSX-R750, it's been a fun winter >project (not that we can't ride during winter in California). > >I just noticed something the other day....the 4-piston caliper from >the GSX-R has the same bolt pattern as the 2-piston caliper on the >KLR. I happen to have an extra set of GSX-R calipers. Can you see >where I'm going with this? :) > >Anybody else tried this caliper swap? There will likely be some >incompatibilities with the banjo fittings, but whenever I get some >free time I'm gonna explore this further. > >This may turn out to be a low-buck brake upgrade for the KLR as these >first-generation GSX-R calipers are basically worthless (I'm thinking >$5-$10 for one caliper) since most owners of the '80s GSX-Rs like to >install 6-piston calipers. Which means there are a lot of GSX-R >calipers just sitting there, doing nothing. > >Rick (Dept of Hare-Brained Schemes) > > >