four minutes (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Analog Aardvark

chains & sprockets

Post by Analog Aardvark » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:56 pm

> If your chain died at 8600, it > is because of using WD40!
I thought that as long as you were running a motorcycle specific full-synth oil, the friction in the transmission would balance out to the (now) low friction of the WD40 driveline, not only extending chain life, but also adding nearly 9 hp (when coupled with a total removal of the airbox door). Or, you can run diesel oil in the crankcase and blackstrap molasses on the chain, but some people have been having clutch slippage problems that way. Have I been lead astray??? ;) For the original poster--you'll probably find as many opinions on chain lube and cleaning as on oil types and change intervals. However, I imagine that like the oil debate, we all pretty much agree that it's more about how often than with what (assuming correct tightness, which is its own bucket o worms sometimes). My stock chain was shot to death by 11k, but I only owned the bike for half of it so I can't comment on exactly why. I'm nonetheless of the opinion that the stock chain isn't particularly good. Check your looseness, keep it clean and lubed (whatever that means to you) and enjoy the ride. -Luke __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

John Biccum

chains & sprockets

Post by John Biccum » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:23 am

The third school of thought might be to use a Scottoiler which cleans and lubes automagically. Just set it and forget it, fill it every 2nd time you fill the fuel tank. _____ From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Norm Keller Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:19 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Chains & Sprockets Dennis posted:
>Who, in their right mind, told you to use >WD40, to clean or lube your
chain. Despite the disqualification in the first 1/2 of the above sentence, I thought that I'd still chime in. (VBG) WD40 is commonly used to clean "O" ring chains because it is a solvent which is not likely to affect the chain or "O" rings. Dirt caked into the "O" rings will abrade the rings and work past the rings. There are two schools of thought with regards to "O" ring chain maintenance: clean with a gentle solvent, or use a chain lube. The interesting aspect of the difference is that both get seemingly equal results. Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

matteeanne@yahoo.com

chains & sprockets

Post by matteeanne@yahoo.com » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:07 am

I got WD40 on my hand once, I am now missing 3 fingers. It's easily as dangerous as trying to do a wheelie on a shaft drive bike. --- John Biccum wrote:
> The third school of thought might be to use a > Scottoiler which cleans and > lubes automagically. Just set it and forget it, > fill it every 2nd time you > fill the fuel tank. > > _____ > > From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On > Behalf Of Norm Keller > Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:19 PM > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Chains & Sprockets > > > > Dennis posted: > >Who, in their right mind, told you to use >WD40, to > clean or lube your > chain. > > Despite the disqualification in the first 1/2 of the > above sentence, I > thought that I'd still chime in. (VBG) > > WD40 is commonly used to clean "O" ring chains > because it is a solvent which > is not likely to affect the chain or "O" rings. Dirt > caked into the "O" > rings will abrade the rings and work past the rings. > > > There are two schools of thought with regards to "O" > ring chain maintenance: > clean with a gentle solvent, or use a chain lube. > The interesting aspect of > the difference is that both get seemingly equal > results. > > Norm > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > >
Sean Brown International Order of the KLR. "yeh, unto the ride, the thumper, yeh, and it was good, and thine did rejoice" amen matteeanne@... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

dooden

chains & sprockets

Post by dooden » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:22 am

Feel for ya Glenn.. I got just over 7500 miles on my chain and I plan on using the dremel on it tonight to cut it off and replace it with a cheapy chain I ordered in through work. Basic 520 chain no O or X rings.. just a cheap chain. RK I think. for under $20 I was hoping it would last at least long enough to make it till the end of this riding season anyway or if really lucky till this set of sprokets is toast also.. Reckon being submerged in a swamp for a few hours must have had a lasting effect on it, wheel bearings were not so lucky. I ride in alot of dirt/dust/mud and looking at the near shredded O- rings is what made me think cheapy chain. Dooden A15 Green Ape --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Gern Blanston" wrote:
> > I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, been cleaning (bi-weekly) the > chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the Hwy. My chain Is > shot, needs to be replaced - soon. Now, at 3500 miles I replaced my > counter sprocket with a 16 tooth. I have moved the chain one tooth
at
> 6500 miles and was going to move it again with the bad chain hit me. > ANY THOUGHTS? >

Douglas Bouley

chains & sprockets

Post by Douglas Bouley » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:31 am

Now, wait just a minute. I've been using WD40 for manicures and personal hygiene for many years now, as well as popping wheelies on a 1962 Lambretta 175 until the drive splines wore smooth, and... um, I've been dead for years... or sumpin'... -doug matteeanne@... wrote:
> I got WD40 on my hand once, I am now missing 3 > fingers. It's easily as dangerous as trying to do a > wheelie on a shaft drive bike. > > --- John Biccum wrote: > > >

Ronald Criswell

chains & sprockets

Post by Ronald Criswell » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 am

How good is the Scott Oiler riding in a lot of dust? Seems like oiled like that would attract the dirt. Criswell
On Sep 1, 2006, at 1:57 AM, John Biccum wrote: > The third school of thought might be to use a Scottoiler which > cleans and > lubes automagically. Just set it and forget it, fill it every 2nd > time you > fill the fuel tank. > > _____ > > From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On > Behalf Of Norm Keller > Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:19 PM > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Chains & Sprockets > > Dennis posted: > >Who, in their right mind, told you to use >WD40, to clean or lube > your > chain. > > Despite the disqualification in the first 1/2 of the above sentence, I > thought that I'd still chime in. (VBG) > > WD40 is commonly used to clean "O" ring chains because it is a > solvent which > is not likely to affect the chain or "O" rings. Dirt caked into the > "O" > rings will abrade the rings and work past the rings. > > There are two schools of thought with regards to "O" ring chain > maintenance: > clean with a gentle solvent, or use a chain lube. The interesting > aspect of > the difference is that both get seemingly equal results. > > Norm > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ronald Criswell

chains & sprockets

Post by Ronald Criswell » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:42 am

Yeah but with using that combo you can't wheelie. Criswell
On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:56 PM, Analog Aardvark wrote: > > If your chain died at 8600, it > > is because of using WD40! > > I thought that as long as you were running a > motorcycle specific full-synth oil, the friction in > the transmission would balance out to the (now) low > friction of the WD40 driveline, not only extending > chain life, but also adding nearly 9 hp (when coupled > with a total removal of the airbox door). Or, you can > run diesel oil in the crankcase and blackstrap > molasses on the chain, but some people have been > having clutch slippage problems that way. Have I been > lead astray??? > > ;) > > For the original poster--you'll probably find as many > opinions on chain lube and cleaning as on oil types > and change intervals. However, I imagine that like > the oil debate, we all pretty much agree that it's > more about how often than with what (assuming correct > tightness, which is its own bucket o worms sometimes). > My stock chain was shot to death by 11k, but I only > owned the bike for half of it so I can't comment on > exactly why. I'm nonetheless of the opinion that the > stock chain isn't particularly good. Check your > looseness, keep it clean and lubed (whatever that > means to you) and enjoy the ride. > > -Luke > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Doug Herr

chains & sprockets

Post by Doug Herr » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:52 pm

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Ronald Criswell wrote:
> How good is the Scott Oiler riding in a lot of dust? Seems like oiled > like that would attract the dirt.
Have not used one, so I could be wrong, but I think you just turn it up to full blast and it will add enough new oil to keep the chain clean via a high fling rate. -- Doug Herr doug@...

E.L. Green

chains & sprockets

Post by E.L. Green » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:30 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Criswell wrote:
> How good is the Scott Oiler riding in a lot of dust? Seems like oiled > like that would attract the dirt.
Yeah, like with WD-40, it does attract the dirt. However, it's a light oil (basically ATF -- i.e., around 10W, a little thicker than the light machine oil that WD-40 leaves behind once the Stoddard solvent evaporates away but not by much) thus doesn't turn into the gummy paste that you get with the sticky chain lubes. Once you hit the street again, you turn up the oil flow for a while, and just as if you were spraying it with WD-40 it (eventually) flings all that dirt off and onto your luggage and license plate (HEH!) and leaves the chain nicely oily and clean again. -E

Norm Keller

chains & sprockets

Post by Norm Keller » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Chain lubrication warning! All listers should be aware of the extreme danger of using WD40 as a chain lubricant on shaft drive motorcycles! This is not recommended by any of the major manufacturers! Just thought you'd like to know, Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]