big a$$ helmet cam video: blair klr project?

DSN_KLR650
aboyandhisdawg

nklr-snake bites

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Thu May 20, 2004 3:55 pm

instead of the old razor blade and suction cup snake bite kits, get a Sawyer Exractor. http://www.sawyerproducts.com/Extractor/ Wal-Mart carries them, in addition to other sources. here in the Mojave area (Vegas) we have the Mojave Green Rattler, which is aggressive and has a venom which is both a neuro *and* hemo toxin. however, i've been hiking in this area for years and haven't yet run into any of the nasties other than hearing them. fixer KLR A1 Lost Wages, NV
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "takes2serious" wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Parece" > wrote: > > Hi, being from the east coast we don't really run into (at least I > don't ) snacks that are a threat. but i'm a little concerned with > running into them and what to do before hand to be prepared just in > case I get bitten by a snake ( rattle and other harmful snakes ) > while in Moab and the southwest. > > Is there medicine that can be bought over the counter while out > there or is there something I have to get prescribed from my doctor?? > Should I be concerned at all? or is it a freak thing when somebody > gets bitten by a harmful snake?? Even if it is a freak thing I would > still want to be prepared! > > Any insight on this subject would be very > appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Gary Parece > > 98 concours 101K, 01 VFR 5K > > 02 DRZ400E,KLR650 2K > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > I'm no expert, but I do hike in the deserts around southern Nevada > three or four tmes per week, two or three hours at a time, and I run > into a rattlesnake maybe one hike out of every ten. There's > something about the sound of a rattlesnake that always makes me jump, > regardless of how many times I've been buzzed. Guess that's a GOOD > thing. > > You can purchase basic snake bite kits, but I think the main thing is > to learn how to avoid being bitten and to obtain medical help as soon > as you can if you do get bit. I do not believe that antivenin is > available outside of hospitals or clinics, but I may be wrong. Maybe > someone who knows for sure will post. > > I always wear thick leather boots with high tops when I hike in the > desert. We've got scorpions and some nasty spiders out here also. > So it somewhat depends what you're actually doing as to what you are > at risk of encountering. For instance, if you're camping, some > critters like to crawl into things. If you're climbing in rocks, you > have to watch where you put your hands, etc. > > In terms of poisonous snakes, I have to say that when I lived back > east, I was much more concerned about copperheads and water moccasins > than I am out here about rattlers. Maybe that was a mistaken belief, > since I run into many more rattlesnakes than I ever did poisonous > snakes back east. But I found it very easy to step on a copperhead > in the fall woods, and, unsportingly, they give you no warning. I > was also wary around remote swimming holes, given cottonmounths and > snapping turtles. So I guess it's what you get used to. > > Enjoy you're trip. I bet you're going to love it.

Lujo Bauer

nklr-snake bites

Post by Lujo Bauer » Thu May 20, 2004 4:17 pm

Don Bittle wrote:
> Unless things have changed whilst I've napped, the current thinking is to do > nothing if you are within 2 hours of medical help. This catches 90% of my > travels, esp. when on a fast motorcycle. > Worry more about scorpions (ask my wife), spiders (ask my son), bee stings > and not acting like a macho shit (don't irritate snakes). > > Get out there amongst'em, > don
All right. In that case, what's one supposed to do if he gets stung by a scorpion? -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

aboyandhisdawg

nklr-snake bites

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Thu May 20, 2004 4:54 pm

"When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." - Heinlein there is a product called "Sting EZ", again, Wal-Mart or most places that sell outdoorsy/camping stuff should have it. it's in a small yellow bottle with a green(?) top. in a pinch, some people have used meat ternderizeer or vinegar applied to the sting to break down the protiens... works for fireants and such too. a scorp sting is like that of a wasp. fixer KLR A1 "relax, this won't hurt a bit!"
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > > > Don Bittle wrote: > > Unless things have changed whilst I've napped, the current thinking is to do > > nothing if you are within 2 hours of medical help. This catches 90% of my > > travels, esp. when on a fast motorcycle. > > Worry more about scorpions (ask my wife), spiders (ask my son), bee stings > > and not acting like a macho shit (don't irritate snakes). > > > > Get out there amongst'em, > > don > > All right. In that case, what's one supposed to do if he gets stung by > a scorpion? > > -Lujo > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Arden Kysely

nklr-snake bites

Post by Arden Kysely » Thu May 20, 2004 5:26 pm

In my backpacking experience, it's usually the second guy down the trail that sees the snake because he's typically watching the feet of the guy in front of him. I've been in both the 1 and 2 position and much prefer #1, as you're by the snake before either of you know it. With motorcycle boots on, your chances of getting snake bit go way down. Being careful where you sit and where you put your hands will go a long way towards keeping you un-bit. I see snakes in the local backcountry several times a year, but have never had a close call. I've nearly shat my pants a couple times when buzzworm buzzed before I saw him, but nothing close to a strike. If I see one on the road, I usually stop and annoy him till he rattles, then shoo him off the road before someone runs him over. If I was alone on a motorcycle and got snake bit, I'd probably put on a tourniquet and try to ride to help as calmly as possible, loosening the tourniquet occasionally. The poison is hard on your heart, but it also causes a lot of necrosis (rot) if left in your tissue. Depending on the bite site, I might be tempted to cut and suck--but not before rinsing my mouth with some germ killing bourbon! __Arden --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" wrote:
> Ive spent a fair amount of time in southeastern AZ and seen plenty
O
> rattlers. IMO they ARE dangerous and you can just walk up on one.
I
> walked up and almost steped on a 5 ft diamond back before he
started
> rattling and I LEAPED back before he got his witts enough to
strike.
> > The wind makes more niose than a person walking. > If your walking in deep grass or places where the snake might be > just stomp every 5th step or so or make noise as u go. He will be > more than happy to get out of your way unless your near its nest.
In
> that case it might come after you but at least it'll rattle. > The "Mojave" rattler is deadly aggresive and its rattle is hard to > hear as its a smaller snake. He's one to watch out for. > > Matthew > A14

Randall

nklr-snake bites

Post by Randall » Thu May 20, 2004 7:18 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Seifert" wrote:
> I'm glad you brought up my personal; favorite, the Mojave
Green........no
> relation to Steve or Eric..........It's different from your basic
pacific
> or East coast rattler in two major ways, it's every bit as
aggressive as a
> water moccasin and more importantly, it possesses a neurotoxic
venom rather
> than the hemolytic venom that every other rattler has. In other
words, it
> has a venom very similar to the coral snake and cobras and the
grass viper
> or two step. And it is deadly. Luckily they are rare in San Diego
County. Hi ya Harry! I worked for Rockwell on the B1-B flightline '85 - '87 and we saw a few out there. One theory about why the "green" has the neurotoxin venom, is that when California was building the aqueducts they imported a lot of timber from South America and the Mohave green rattle snake is a hybrid of a western diamond back and a snake from S. America.

bigfatgreenbike

nklr-snake bites

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Thu May 20, 2004 8:30 pm

arden646@... wrote:
> Depending on the bite site, I might be tempted to cut and >suck--but not before rinsing my mouth with some germ killing bourbon! > >
Well, that's one more little Nalgene bottle to add to the first aid kit. -- Devon Brooklyn, NY A15-Z '01 KLR650 '81 SR500 cafe racer "The truth's not too popular these days....." Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man

robert bowman

nklr-snake bites

Post by robert bowman » Thu May 20, 2004 9:07 pm

On Thursday 20 May 2004 19:36, Arden wrote:
> Depending on the bite site, I might be tempted to cut and > suck--but not before rinsing my mouth with some germ killing bourbon!
Before you get too carried away with your Kabar, a good percentage of bites have little or no venom injected, and overreaction is the biggest concern. Supposedly the worst case is if the snake mistakes your hand or something as something it can swallow and is intent of killing and eating it. Playing catch with a snake isn't a good idea either. One AZ study of emergency room admittances concluded a lot of bites involved young, faced, males who really went out of their way to wind the snake up.

squasher_1

nklr-snake bites

Post by squasher_1 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:29 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, robert bowman wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 19:36, Arden wrote: > > Depending on the bite site, I might be tempted to cut and > > suck--but not before rinsing my mouth with some germ killing
bourbon!
> > Before you get too carried away with your Kabar, a good percentage
of bites
> have little or no venom injected, and overreaction is the biggest
concern.
> > Supposedly the worst case is if the snake mistakes your hand or
something as
> something it can swallow and is intent of killing and eating it. > > Playing catch with a snake isn't a good idea either. One AZ study
of emergency
> room admittances concluded a lot of bites involved young, faced,
males who
> really went out of their way to wind the snake up.
I talked to a snake person or someone who was an expert on snakes. and they said that by the time you get your knife out and cut, the venom has already circulated through out your body. I think it only takes a few seconds for the blood to circulate in your body. they said more deaths are caused by bleeding to death after cutting yourself than by the snake bite (adult rattle snake), the baby rattle snake doesn't have full muscle control and can inject all its venom in one bite, which can kill you. or maybe I'm wrong????? I'm not a snake expert

dumbazz650

nklr-snake bites

Post by dumbazz650 » Fri May 21, 2004 1:29 am

I lived my entire misspent youth in the wiles of southeastern AZ. We caught and played with non venomous snakes since we were walking age. As teenagers, and quite against parental orders, we also caught and handled diamondback rattlers. Dangerous and stupid thing to do, but it broke up the monotony down on that ramshackle farm. Like staying out of certain areas in the city, you learn to watch where you go, and especailly where you put your hands and your feet. Big thick can boots help. But watch where you step. My dad was snake bit by a rattler. Late one night, he stepped out onto the porch to see WTF the dogs were barking at. Gruff old marine standing there in nothing but his skivvy drawers. Got nailed good by a large rattler. He got violently ill, even though mom got him to the the hospital within 20 minutes. He spent four days going through treatment and was then released. Limped around in sneakers rather than the cowboy boots he normally wore. It was a few months before he was mostly back to his normal self. It may have taken a few years off his life, not good for you but with medical care its rarely fatal. It does happen, but locals hardly ever give it a second thought. Read up on the precautions about how you prevent getting bit and keep your wits about you. Knowledge is power. MarkB --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" wrote: > Ive spent a fair amount of time in southeastern AZ and seen plenty O > rattlers. IMO they ARE dangerous and you can just walk up on one. I > walked up and almost steped on a 5 ft diamond back before he started > rattling and I LEAPED back before he got his witts enough to strike. > > The wind makes more niose than a person walking. > If your walking in deep grass or places where the snake might be > just stomp every 5th step or so or make noise as u go. He will be > more than happy to get out of your way unless your near its nest. In > that case it might come after you but at least it'll rattle. > The "Mojave" rattler is deadly aggresive and its rattle is hard to > hear as its a smaller snake. He's one to watch out for. > > Matthew > A14