sprockets - was drilling the carb slide

DSN_KLR650
Luke in Brooklyn

drilling the carb slide question

Post by Luke in Brooklyn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:20 pm

As a matter of fact it makes so much torque it rips the knobs right off the tires. Also it is not very hard to "drill it smaller" if you know how. Oh yeah? Well MY bike can tear chunks out of those steel road plates from a stop... in THIRD GEAR! And it has a supercharged turbo-booster from dualstar! Sorry, that post just made me smile. My constructive contribution is: If you wish you hadn't drilled it out so big, you can simply put a dab of JB Weld or even a gasoline friendly sealant in the hole, then redrill it. It isn't squirting fluid/gas/mix like most carb orifices, just passing pressure, so this works fine (at least according to list banter of the last few years). Luke Brooklyn NY 92 CB750 nighthawk--naked simpleton 03 KLR650--fat girl with a dirty mind --------------------------------- Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Spike55

sprockets - was drilling the carb slide

Post by Spike55 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Lash: I've been running the stock 15T with a JT 44T rear with the stock 108 link chain for the last 7000 miles. I've run it this way on serveral +/- 1000 mile road trips and 100 mile / day dirt road trips (always traveling less than 35 mph). I still get 55-57 mpg (according to the famous 10% error KLR speedo/ odo) and my "sweet-spot" is around 4300-4500 rpms for a 60 mph (GPS verified) result. This gearing is a good all-around ratio and really not that much different from stock (obviously). Once I need to replace the stock chain, I want to change the rear to a 45T (wish a 46T was more commonly available) and carry a bag with a 14T, 15T, 16T + a prevailing torque nut so I can better match the bike to the "long term" riding situation. I now think that I (you) could have gone with a 14T-15T front / 45T rear and continue to use the stock chain since, in my case, 50% of the chain adjustment range is still avaiable. Don R100, A6F
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Gary LaRue wrote: > > Hey all; > > A guy once told me that if I wanted to gear my bike down a little for going into the really snarly stuff, it was better to buy a back sprocket with two or three teeth more, rather than go down one tooth on the counter sprocket. His reasoning made sense to me: If you go a smaller counter sprocket, you are bending the chain into a tighter loop there and putting the same power into one fewer links. Obviously, this would increase the strain and wear. With a larger rear sprocket that is not so. > > Of course, if you want to ride the freeway to a location, then do a quck change along the road, it would be more practical to change the countershaft sprocket. *Duhh!* However, if you do most of your riding at slower speeds, and you stay at the lower sprocket gearing, his point makes good sense to me. > > For me, moving in the opposite direction is indicated because I do almost all my riding at highway speeds, or at least very fast dirt roads. (usually 40+ MPH.) Therefor, a higher gearing makes sense. When my original chain and sprockets are shot I could try to find a 44 tooth rear sprocket which is almost a perfect match for going up one tooth on the counter sprocket. I would expect that I would need a chain which is a link or two shorter, but maybe not. Why not go up one on the counter sprocket to get more links into the action instead? I may, but first I need to look at clearance issues. This is my first KLR and I'm not sure how much room there is down there and some bikes I've had over the years was a little too close for that. If there is plenty of room, I may very well do it that way. I suspect it will be fine since many of you have been doing it that way for a long time. > > Lash > > > > > ----- Original Message ---- > From: GMac999 > To: Luc Legrain > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:13:46 PM > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] KLR650 : Drilling the carb slide > > Luc, > > I think it's the opposite. The smaller in front and larger in rear, > the > faster the engine turns for the same speed. The 14/47 is great for > off-road. The 16/47 extremely close to the factory 15/43. I use the > 15/47 > as a compromise between added torque/power at lower speeds and the > capability to maintain 65 down the interstate. I don't usually try > to run > 75-85 down the interstate, but if I need to, I go to the 16/47 > combination. > > On my '95 it's 5 screws to change the countershaft sprocket, 3 for > the cover > and 2 for the sprocket, then adjust the chain if I'm going from the > 16 to > the 14. If going from the 14 to the 16, then I have to loosen it > before I > start. > > GregM > > -----Original Message----- > From: Luc Legrain [mailto:zrislois2klr@ yahoo.com] > Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:38 PM > To: GMac999; 'Jeff Saline' > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogro ups.com > Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] KLR650 : Drilling the carb slide > > Thanks y'all for the fantastic, hands on, " been there,done that > "feed > back on the carb. Now, for some reasons the conversation switched to > sprockets.. > That's good.. 'cause I'm kind of lost when it comes to teeth. On my > childhood bicycle, the smaller the sprocket in front and the bigger > in the > rear the faster you would go depending on how strong your muscles > were. On a > 35-40 HP ( ?) engine what would be > the "Ideal " combination? > --- GMac999 wrote: > > > Jeff, > > > > I have the 14/47 combo also. You're right, it's great in the tight > > > stuff. > > I'd even considered the 13/47, but couldn't locate one for the two > > bolt earlier models. I use it when it's a weekend of mostly off > road > > riding. > > When I have to run short commutes, less than 150 miles, I'll just > run > > the > > 15/47 as an all around. Longer runs, 4 -500 miles, I go to the > 16/47. > > > > GregM > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Jeff Saline [mailto:salinej1@juno. com] > > Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:38 PM > > To: gmac999@yahoo. com > > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogro ups.com > > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] KLR650 : Drilling the carb slide > > > > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:53:48 -0800 (PST) GMac999 > > > writes: > > > Jeff, > > > > > > I drilled the slide out to 1/8" on my '95. What > > it took care of > > for > > > me was a slight lag at lower rpms when you twisted > > the throttle. I > > > > > can't tell any difference with the middle and > > upper rpms. > > > > > > SNIP > > > > > > GregM > > <><><><><><> <><><><>< > > > <><><><><><> <><><><>< > > > > > Greg, > > > > Thanks for another very good explanation. First it was a tire > > evaluation and now it's performance based on an internal carb > > modification. > > You're on > > a roll. : ) > > > > It sure looks like you scored well with drilling the slide. > > > > I'm running a 14/46 combo in the dirt. Your 15/47 is about > mid-point > > between my 14/46 and 15/46 combos. Looks like it would be pretty > > comparable to a 14/44 combo. I know it's a significant improvement > > > compared to the stock 15/43 combo. I bet you'd really like a 14/47 > > > combo in the dirt. It might be a bit slow in twisties. > > > > I sure appreciate your detailed and complete comments. > > > > Best, > > > > Jeff Saline > > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads. org > > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ > ________ > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. > > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ > ________ > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. > http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ > Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Andrus Chesley

drilling the carb slide question

Post by Andrus Chesley » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:55 am

3.175mm .125" 1/8" 3.2639mm .1285" #30 According to the Drill bit chart sizes I use at times, a 1/8 is actually just a hair bigger than a #30. http://bobmay.astronomy.net/misc/drillchart.htm Good information there. Andy 64 yr miles ;-)> Offshore Louisiana till tomorrow I hope, then 14 days off Yeah! '00 KLR650 23K miles '06 DL1000 16K miles '03 Chevy truck 31K miles