four minutes (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
clint lee jin yew

chains & sprockets

Post by clint lee jin yew » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:10 am

about the 16t front. after one fits the chain, there would be just a small gap between the chain and the wires up front. is this safe?? clint --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Copeland" wrote:
> > That's what I'm thinkin. > Contrary to those who claim to get 20,000 out of the whole shiteree, > I changed the front sprocket three times before the rear and chain > were wore out at 20K. > Rod > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Saline
wrote:
> > > > John, > > > > Why not try replacing the front only and see how long things
last.
> Cost > > of a front is probably about $25 or less. If the chain is good
and
> the > > rear sprocket is too, I think I'd just change what was worn. The > front > > turns 2.68 times for each rotation of the rear if you have a 16 > front/43 > > rear combo. It just makes sense that the front would wear out > first. > > > > You must be pretty good with your chain adjustment and
maintenance
> to get > > 22K out of the set. > > > > Best, > > > > Jeff Saline > > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > > > > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:36:38 -0000 "greasedog123" > > writes: > > > Looking for opinions and suggestions regarding chains. I
have
> > > almost 22,000 miles on my original chain(80% road miles) and it > > > still > > > looks good. My front 16T sprocket(which I put on at about 1000 > > > miles) > > > is showing wear- rear still looks good. I do oil and clean > > > especially > > > after riding down dirt roads and trails. My question is should
I
> > > just > > > replace the front spocket or is it time to do the whole > > > chain/sprockets > > > deal and where is the best deal for just a basic replacement?
I
> was > > > > > > overwhelmed at the choices of chains and types. I would like a > DID > > > > > > chain but even they have a lot of options. > > > > > > Thanks for any response. > > > > > > John in Ocala, Fl. > > > > > > '03 KLR 650 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > > > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > > > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at:
www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
> > > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Gern Blanston

chains & sprockets

Post by Gern Blanston » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:42 am

I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, been cleaning (bi-weekly) the chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the Hwy. My chain Is shot, needs to be replaced - soon. Now, at 3500 miles I replaced my counter sprocket with a 16 tooth. I have moved the chain one tooth at 6500 miles and was going to move it again with the bad chain hit me. ANY THOUGHTS?

Blake Sobiloff

chains & sprockets

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:07 am

On Aug 31, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Gern Blanston wrote:
> I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, been cleaning (bi-weekly) the > chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the Hwy.
How many miles do you go every two weeks? I try to clean my chain every 250 miles. Also, what makes you think your chain is shot? Kinked links, too much distance between pins, or something else? This will help diagnose why your chain died. Lastly, is it possible the chain was over-tightened at some point? Dealers, in my experience, love to do this--or I like a chain on the loose side. (Hush, Norm! :-) A too-tight chain will wear out in no time flat, but a slightly too-loose chain just makes jangly noises, so I always aim for the loose side of the recommended tension. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA)

Don S

chains & sprockets

Post by Don S » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:31 am

Chain too tight. Should be 2.5" vertical play in the chain with the bike on the side stand. Nothing worse for a drive system than a tight chain. If for whatever reason, a choice must be made, between no lubing and a tight chain, I'd choose no lube. I have over 5000 miles on my '06 and the chain looks and works like new. Don. Gern Blanston wrote: I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, been cleaning (bi-weekly) the chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the Hwy. My chain Is shot, needs to be replaced - soon. Now, at 3500 miles I replaced my counter sprocket with a 16 tooth. I have moved the chain one tooth at 6500 miles and was going to move it again with the bad chain hit me. ANY THOUGHTS? --------------------------------- Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dennis Holm

chains & sprockets

Post by Dennis Holm » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Who, in their right mind, told you to use WD40, to clean or lube your chain. WD40 is mostly a solvent and will disolve the lube packed in an "O" ring chain that you bike came with. The proper way to care for an 'O' ring chain is to wash the dirt off the outside of the chain with a rag and soap and water. Let it air dry. Apply an approved 'O' ring chain lube such as Silkolene Semi-Synthetic Chain & Sprcket Lubricant. If your chain died at 8600, it is because of using WD40! Bigdroptwo Blake Sobiloff wrote:
On Aug 31, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Gern Blanston wrote: > I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, been cleaning (bi-weekly) the > chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the Hwy. How many miles do you go every two weeks? I try to clean my chain every 250 miles. Also, what makes you think your chain is shot? Kinked links, too much distance between pins, or something else? This will help diagnose why your chain died. Lastly, is it possible the chain was over-tightened at some point? Dealers, in my experience, love to do this--or I like a chain on the loose side. (Hush, Norm! :-) A too-tight chain will wear out in no time flat, but a slightly too-loose chain just makes jangly noises, so I always aim for the loose side of the recommended tension. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) --------------------------------- How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger s low PC-to-Phone call rates. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Blake Sobiloff

chains & sprockets

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:42 pm

On Aug 31, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Dennis Holm wrote:
> If your chain died at 8600, it is because of using WD40!
[chuckle] -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

matteeanne@yahoo.com

chains & sprockets

Post by matteeanne@yahoo.com » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:01 pm

I have 20000 miles on my 04 drive train it still looks good (not great, shopping for replacements now) I clean with wd 40 and use whatever chainlube is on the shelf --- Don S wrote:
> Chain too tight. Should be 2.5" vertical play in > the chain with the bike on the side stand. Nothing > worse for a drive system than a tight chain. If for > whatever reason, a choice must be made, between no > lubing and a tight chain, I'd choose no lube. > > I have over 5000 miles on my '06 and the chain > looks and works like new. > > Don. > > Gern Blanston wrote: > I have an 06 KLR and 8600 miles on it, > been cleaning (bi-weekly) the > chain with WD40 as suggested, I only ride on the > Hwy. My chain Is > shot, needs to be replaced - soon. Now, at 3500 > miles I replaced my > counter sprocket with a 16 tooth. I have moved the > chain one tooth at > 6500 miles and was going to move it again with the > bad chain hit me. > ANY THOUGHTS? > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small > Business. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > >
Sean Brown International Order of the KLR. "yeh, unto the ride, the thumper, yeh, and it was good, and thine did rejoice" amen matteeanne@... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Norm Keller

chains & sprockets

Post by Norm Keller » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:40 pm

Dennis posted:
>Who, in their right mind, told you to use >WD40, to clean or lube your chain.
Despite the disqualification in the first 1/2 of the above sentence, I thought that I'd still chime in. (VBG) WD40 is commonly used to clean "O" ring chains because it is a solvent which is not likely to affect the chain or "O" rings. Dirt caked into the "O" rings will abrade the rings and work past the rings. There are two schools of thought with regards to "O" ring chain maintenance: clean with a gentle solvent, or use a chain lube. The interesting aspect of the difference is that both get seemingly equal results. Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

chains & sprockets

Post by Jud Jones » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:43 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Holm wrote:
> > Who, in their right mind, told you to use WD40, to clean or lube your chain. WD40 is > mostly a solvent and will disolve the lube packed in an "O" ring chain that > you bike came with. The proper way to care for an 'O' ring chain is to wash the dirt off > the outside of the chain with a rag and soap and water. Let it air dry. Apply an approved
'O' ring chain lube such as Silkolene Semi-Synthetic Chain & Sprcket Lubricant. If your chain died at 8600, it is because of using WD40! This is pure b*llsh*t.

biggbiker@sbcglobal.net

chains & sprockets

Post by biggbiker@sbcglobal.net » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:44 pm

I have 2 chains that I rode 20000 mi. with WD-40 90% time as lube. no problem. lube 2-300 mi. chains are stock D.I.D 90-92. newer chains are what brand starting when?