nklr mexican railway doable

DSN_KLR650
Michael T

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Michael T » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:09 pm

Has anyone used Tammys (looking for assessment on illumination comparison vs. stock)? Michael T A16 lasvegasrider -----Original Message----- From: dumbazz_650 [mailto:dumbazz_650@...] Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 12:03 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Meter Assembly bulbs
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Saltzer" wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > > I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look > identical, > > and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and > forth > > didn't reveal otherwise. I think 168 and 194 are compatible but > more > > common designations. > > > > -Lujo > > Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. > Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them? > > MrMoose > A8 (Barbie and Ken special) Tammy has them listed on her site. Note that the turn indicator is special in that it passes current both directions, so I suspect there is no subst yet for the incandescant version. MarkB List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

Paul Wilson

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Paul Wilson » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:16 pm

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:09:54 -0800, Michael T wrote:
> > Has anyone used Tammys (looking for assessment on illumination comparison > vs. stock)? > > > Michael T > A16 > lasvegasrider > > -----Original Message----- > From: dumbazz_650 [mailto:dumbazz_650@...] > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > > > I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look > > identical, > > > and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and > > forth > > > didn't reveal otherwise. > > > > > > -Lujo > > > > Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. > > Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them? > > > > MrMoose > > A8 (Barbie and Ken special) > > Tammy has them listed on her site. Note that the turn indicator is special > in that it passes current both directions, so I suspect there is no subst > yet for the incandescant version. > MarkB >
OK, how about the Dual Star plug'n'play LED replacement for the tail-light/brakelight? Kinda spendy, but that will free up a few watts too. And, has the flashing feature to wake up (potentially) the somnolent cagers on your six. -- Paul in DC - www.wilsonline.org 95 VFR - 90 KLR

Tengai Mark Van Horn

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:30 pm

My b'day was yesterday. Anyway, I've tried a few different ones and I like the amber 6-LED 194 bulb from superbrightleds.com. Mark At 4:14 PM -0500 1/3/05, Guy B. Young II wrote:
>Hey!, It's my b'day. I know not what I do. > >:-) > >Your review tells exactly what I experienced. FWIW - I also >installed a set in my Concours, with the same results. All the ones >that provide backlighting for the instruments have come out and >incadescents put back in. > >Guy

a14@att.net

meter assembly bulbs

Post by a14@att.net » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:06 pm

My b'day was Saturday. Hope you both enjoyed yours. Who's b'day is tomorrow? Oh yea, haven't tried LED's but love the studs. Walt
> > My b'day was yesterday. > Anyway, I've tried a few different ones and I like the amber 6-LED > 194 bulb from superbrightleds.com. > > Mark > > At 4:14 PM -0500 1/3/05, Guy B. Young II wrote: > >Hey!, It's my b'day. I know not what I do. > > > >:-) > > > >Your review tells exactly what I experienced. FWIW - I also > >installed a set in my Concours, with the same results. All the ones > >that provide backlighting for the instruments have come out and > >incadescents put back in. > > > >Guy >

Lujo Bauer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Lujo Bauer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:54 pm

Well happy birthday to you too then! And you also, Walt! Mark, do the 6-LED bulbs provide as much illumination as the stock incandescent bulbs? -Lujo
On Jan 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Tengai Mark Van Horn wrote: > My b'day was yesterday. > Anyway, I've tried a few different ones and I like the amber 6-LED 194 > bulb from superbrightleds.com. > > Mark > > At 4:14 PM -0500 1/3/05, Guy B. Young II wrote: >> Hey!, It's my b'day. I know not what I do. >> >> :-) >> >> Your review tells exactly what I experienced. FWIW - I also >> installed a set in my Concours, with the same results. All the ones >> that provide backlighting for the instruments have come out and >> incadescents put back in. >> >> Guy

Guy B. Young II

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Guy B. Young II » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:38 am

Lujo, I'll use your message as the means to thank all for the b'day wishes, and Happy B'day to the others who have hit that milestone(?). :-) I may have to find one of them critters (6-LED - LED) to see just how much current *they* draw. At some point, multiple LED lamps in a single format are going to approach the current draw of a conventional incadescent lamp. Yeah, they may have a longer service life, but factor in the higher cost + a (potentially) similar current draw, there's not any benefit. Lujo, where'd you get your 6-LED version? TIA Guy -----Original Message----- From: Lujo Bauer Sent: Jan 4, 2005 12:53 AM To: Tengai Mark Van Horn Cc: "Guy B. Young II" , KLR 650 LIST dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Meter Assembly bulbs Well happy birthday to you too then! And you also, Walt! Mark, do the 6-LED bulbs provide as much illumination as the stock incandescent bulbs? -Lujo
On Jan 3, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Tengai Mark Van Horn wrote: > My b'day was yesterday. > Anyway, I've tried a few different ones and I like the amber 6-LED 194 > bulb from superbrightleds.com. > > Mark > > At 4:14 PM -0500 1/3/05, Guy B. Young II wrote: >> Hey!, It's my b'day. I know not what I do. >> >> :-) >> >> Your review tells exactly what I experienced. FWIW - I also >> installed a set in my Concours, with the same results. All the ones >> that provide backlighting for the instruments have come out and >> incadescents put back in. >> >> Guy List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

dsmeclipse

meter assembly bulbs

Post by dsmeclipse » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:40 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "jamackinlay" wrote:
> > Hi, > I checked the KLR FAQ and couldn't find what type of bulbs are the > ones for "Turn" and "Neutral" in the meter assy. > > The KLR FAQ says that the bullbs in the meter assy are the 158 (or > 194), but those are the ones for "Hi Beam" and meter gauges lights. > > Intotal, the meter assembly has four 158 bulbs (part #92069-1007) > plus 2 other --smaller- ones for "Turn" and "Neutral" (part#92069- > 1068). > Anubody knows what bulb model are these last two ones? > > Thanks, > Jose

Keith Saltzer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Keith Saltzer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:46 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote:
> Inspired by a reply from Guy (did you mean to cc the list as
well?), I
> decided it might be useful if I were more specific about my
experience
> with using LEDs for instrument-panel lighting. > > I used single-LED replacement units for the turn signal, high beam,
and
> neutral lights. These looked nice in the shade, but in direct
sunlight
> or shifting light they were harder to see than the original bulbs. > During a sunny day, for example, I had a hard time seeing whether
my
> high beam indicator was on. > > I used multiple-LED replacement bulbs for lighting the tach and
speedo.
> I believe the ones I used had either two or four LEDs each. > Lighting was much worse than stock. Only parts of the instruments
were
> illuminated, and I couldn't see the speedo needle well in the
darkness
> unless it was somewhere on the left (say, below 35 mph). > > I experimented with both (so called) diffuse LED bulbs and ordinary > ones. I couldn't see any difference in how they performed when > installed in the instrument panel. > > Don't get me wrong -- it's not that one *can't* light an instrument > panel with LEDs (in fact, I still have most of them in there); it's
just
> that they provide noticeably poorer illumination that incandescent > bulbs. And of course, this only applies to the LEDs I found two
years
> ago. If someone succeeds in finding LED bulbs that work well in
the
> KLR's instrument panel, I'd love to know about it. > > Cheers, > > -Lujo
Thanks for all the informative info guys. Me thinks I'll wait on the better bulbs to show up too, but at least I will know what to look out for. I like saving some wattage, but not at the cost of not seeing my instrument cluster, that's for sure. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)

Lujo Bauer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Lujo Bauer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:58 am

> I may have to find one of them critters (6-LED - LED) to see just how > much current *they* draw. At some point, multiple LED lamps in a > single format are going to approach the current draw of a conventional > incadescent lamp. Yeah, they may have a longer service life, but > factor in the higher cost + a (potentially) similar current draw, > there's not any benefit. > > Lujo, where'd you get your 6-LED version?
Mark was the one who tried the 6-LED version, and I believe he said he got them from superbrightleds.com. I've gotten LEDs from in the past as well. I share your concerns about the cost/benefit ratio. However, I just took a look at their site, and if I'm reading the specs page correctly, the 6-LED bulbs draw almost the same amount of current as the single-LED ones, while producing much more light. Seems pretty bizarre. -Lujo

Tengai Mark Van Horn

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:44 pm

At 12:53 AM -0500 1/4/05, Lujo Bauer wrote:
>Mark, do the 6-LED bulbs provide as much illumination as the stock >incandescent bulbs?
I'll try to get off my ass and do a side-by-side comparison & let you know in a day or two. All I can say right now is that I'm satisfied with the amber 6-LED bulb (I only have one of them in so far as I bought an assortment to test). I performs better than the 4-LED white and single white inverted cone LED that I also tried. I'm going to order a bunch more this week to finish the job and to do up another one of my KLRs. Mark