big a$$ helmet cam video: blair klr project?

DSN_KLR650
dooden

nklr-snake bites

Post by dooden » Thu May 20, 2004 1:09 pm

millerized, Is that why you wear them bunny ears on your helmet to add a bit of of cushion material for crashing ? Can we go back to the oil thread now ? Dooden A15 Green Ape White 850 Snowthower (finally put away for summer, also a Thumper) --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Miller Jr." wrote:
> The "til out of blood" should have given you a hint that "that" was
a
> joke. If it wasn't , I'd have just left well enough alone or told > them to use the jugular (sp)vein. Some people are just too quick to > post, as if it's a race to belittle or out-do someone else. Humor, > my friend. If you even slightly knew me, you'd have figured that
out
> in the first sentence. > Figure in, tho, most places you're going to get bit are far
enough
> from the general public that anything other than just setting
waiting
> for help are better. If you're alone, other than just waiting,
what
> are your choices? Yeah, cut and bleed aren't the best solutions to > this problem, but again, that's why I posted the Google link. The > send for help is not always the best option either. Your friend, > hopefully trained, most likely not, who now has it in his mind that > he is the only link between you and death, isn't going to be on his > most careful riding to go get help. He's going to take more
chances
> thinking that he's the one that's going to get you through this. > Medivac: If you can get to a phone, if you have cell service,
if
> you have another rider. Hell, some places you might as well send > smoke signals. Too many "if's" for me. I would have to have a > different set of fixes than the norm. Too many places I ride here
in
> WV have NO cell service. I kinda like it that way. I also ride > alone. Again, I kinda like it that way. Of course, with that > extra "risk" I have taken precautions to fit MY situation. > Relax, read the information, and it'll let you live through most > anything. Anyone who doesn't read the whole situation and prepare > for that same is doomed to cause more problems than they'll solve. > Another Darwin candidate? If that were the case, we'd have less > helmeted riders out there. > millerized > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Eric L. Green"
> wrote: > > On Thu, 20 May 2004, James L. Miller Jr. wrote: > > > Tie it off, cut, suck, repeat until out of blood. There are > snake > > > > *THIS IS NOT CURRENTLY RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE*. Please do not > encourage > > people to do all these old school things. Next thing you'll be > > recommending is using leaches for treating pneumonia, and holding > an > > exorcism to deal with epilepsy? > > > > Current recommended procedure: a) Immobilize the subject as much
as
> > possible to slow movement of venom. b) Medivac the subject to a > hospital > > as swiftly as possible for treatment with antivenim, anti- > inflamatories, > > or whatever else is appropriate for the given set of symptoms. In > many > > cases no treatment at all is necessary. > > > > It was found that the old school cut'n'suck procedure not only > didn't work > > (no effect on the outcome), it actually caused more damage than
the
> snake > > bite itself in many cases. Western rattlers rarely kill a full > grown man > > even if the bite is completely untreated. (You may WISH you were > dead -- > > they make you sick and cause a lot of pain -- but you won't die > unless you > > already had a bad ticker or other such health problems). > > > > http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_snakes.html > > > > -E

James L. Miller Jr.

nklr-snake bites

Post by James L. Miller Jr. » Thu May 20, 2004 1:10 pm

Which is exactly why animal wounds are cleaned and sewn shut while human bites are covered w/ gauze and left to drain. The bacteria in the human mouth is worse that a dogs. And the dog licks his ass and other private parts. (Yeah, cause he can, I know) But, anyone who comes down to having to cut/suck/bleed would probably be worse off from the poison than what the bacterial problem would cause in the same time frame. Some of the rare cases you won't, but from most you'll walk away from them. Eventually. Unlike these poor saps: http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/attachment.php? s=3165dff2d9f8f82ed45e9eb6a44cd196&attachmentid=845 http://www.tongs.com/gallery/snakebites/15.jpg http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/collections/nuer/slides/full/052.jpg millerized -- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Devon wrote:
> People have also swallowed venom, and given people extremely nasty > infections from bacteria in their mouth (snakebites are often deep > puncture wounds). > > > > > >

James L. Miller Jr.

nklr-snake bites

Post by James L. Miller Jr. » Thu May 20, 2004 1:17 pm

Tiger. T-EYE-GRR. Man, that navy life and living on boats/ships/floating palaces really screwed up your species identification skills, didn't it?! :-) Cushioning, yeah, but the fact that I still have enough hair (barely) that the suction cups wouldn't stick to my skull. that's why I wear a helmet! millerized -- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote:
> millerized, > > Is that why you wear them bunny ears on your helmet to add a bit of > of cushion material for crashing ? > > Can we go back to the oil thread now ? > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape > White 850 Snowthower (finally put away for summer, also a Thumper) > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Miller Jr." > wrote: > > The "til out of blood" should have given you a hint that "that"
was
> a > > joke. If it wasn't , I'd have just left well enough alone or
told
> > them to use the jugular (sp)vein. Some people are just too quick
to
> > post, as if it's a race to belittle or out-do someone else.
Humor,
> > my friend. If you even slightly knew me, you'd have figured that > out > > in the first sentence. > > Figure in, tho, most places you're going to get bit are far > enough > > from the general public that anything other than just setting > waiting > > for help are better. If you're alone, other than just waiting, > what > > are your choices? Yeah, cut and bleed aren't the best solutions
to
> > this problem, but again, that's why I posted the Google link. The > > send for help is not always the best option either. Your friend, > > hopefully trained, most likely not, who now has it in his mind
that
> > he is the only link between you and death, isn't going to be on
his
> > most careful riding to go get help. He's going to take more > chances > > thinking that he's the one that's going to get you through this. > > Medivac: If you can get to a phone, if you have cell service, > if > > you have another rider. Hell, some places you might as well send > > smoke signals. Too many "if's" for me. I would have to have a > > different set of fixes than the norm. Too many places I ride
here
> in > > WV have NO cell service. I kinda like it that way. I also ride > > alone. Again, I kinda like it that way. Of course, with that > > extra "risk" I have taken precautions to fit MY situation. > > Relax, read the information, and it'll let you live through
most
> > anything. Anyone who doesn't read the whole situation and
prepare
> > for that same is doomed to cause more problems than they'll
solve.
> > Another Darwin candidate? If that were the case, we'd have less > > helmeted riders out there. > > millerized > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Eric L. Green" > > > wrote: > > > On Thu, 20 May 2004, James L. Miller Jr. wrote: > > > > Tie it off, cut, suck, repeat until out of blood. There are > > snake > > > > > > *THIS IS NOT CURRENTLY RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE*. Please do not > > encourage > > > people to do all these old school things. Next thing you'll be > > > recommending is using leaches for treating pneumonia, and
holding
> > an > > > exorcism to deal with epilepsy? > > > > > > Current recommended procedure: a) Immobilize the subject as
much
> as > > > possible to slow movement of venom. b) Medivac the subject to
a
> > hospital > > > as swiftly as possible for treatment with antivenim, anti- > > inflamatories, > > > or whatever else is appropriate for the given set of symptoms.
In
> > many > > > cases no treatment at all is necessary. > > > > > > It was found that the old school cut'n'suck procedure not only > > didn't work > > > (no effect on the outcome), it actually caused more damage than > the > > snake > > > bite itself in many cases. Western rattlers rarely kill a full > > grown man > > > even if the bite is completely untreated. (You may WISH you
were
> > dead -- > > > they make you sick and cause a lot of pain -- but you won't die > > unless you > > > already had a bad ticker or other such health problems). > > > > > > http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_snakes.html > > > > > > -E

Devon

nklr-snake bites

Post by Devon » Thu May 20, 2004 1:20 pm

We have rattlers in the East as well. Forgot the name, but there's an island off the coast of Georgia that's been turned into a national park. I was there for work a long time ago, and particularly the dark-colored stones at one set of ruins, there can be a half-dozen rattlers or more sunning themselves. They let you know well in advance that you're getting too close. A rattlesnake plays fair usually. Devon jettand11@... wrote:
>Yeah, Eric's on the money here. I've been in central Arizona for 12 >years and rattlers are common, but not really that troublesome. > > >

Matthew

nklr-snake bites

Post by Matthew » Thu May 20, 2004 1:25 pm

Ive spent a fair amount of time in southeastern AZ and seen plenty O rattlers. IMO they ARE dangerous and you can just walk up on one. I walked up and almost steped on a 5 ft diamond back before he started rattling and I LEAPED back before he got his witts enough to strike. The wind makes more niose than a person walking. If your walking in deep grass or places where the snake might be just stomp every 5th step or so or make noise as u go. He will be more than happy to get out of your way unless your near its nest. In that case it might come after you but at least it'll rattle. The "Mojave" rattler is deadly aggresive and its rattle is hard to hear as its a smaller snake. He's one to watch out for. Matthew A14

George Basinet

nklr-snake bites

Post by George Basinet » Thu May 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Gary, The Discovery Channel has been rerunning a program about a EM Doctor out in the Mojave Desert. Seems that all the housing developments have moved out into the traditional snake habitat. They have treated quite a few bits. One patient did die but they said that was very unusual. George Escondido, Ca
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Parece" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 6:13 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR-Snake bites > Hi, being from the east coast we don't really run into (at least I don't ) snacks that are a threat. but i'm a little concerned with running into them and what to do before hand to be prepared just in case I get bitten by a snake ( rattle and other harmful snakes ) while in Moab and the southwest. > Is there medicine that can be bought over the counter while out there or is

Harry Seifert

nklr-snake bites

Post by Harry Seifert » Thu May 20, 2004 1:56 pm

I'm glad you brought up my personal; favorite, the Mojave Green........no relation to Steve or Eric..........It's different from your basic pacific or East coast rattler in two major ways, it's every bit as aggressive as a water moccasin and more importantly, it possesses a neurotoxic venom rather than the hemolytic venom that every other rattler has. In other words, it has a venom very similar to the coral snake and cobras and the grass viper or two step. And it is deadly. Luckily they are rare in San Diego County. I respond to 5 or 6 rattlesnake removals over the course of the summer with the FD and we were confronted with a Mojave last summer. What a son of a bitch. I'm really glad I had a 6' snake stick to deal with him. He made a really cool hat band for one of the medics. from the enlightened KLR of Harry Seifert bseifert71@...
> [Original Message] > From: Matthew > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Date: 5/20/04 11:26:46 AM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: NKLR-Snake bites > > Ive spent a fair amount of time in southeastern AZ and seen plenty O > rattlers. IMO they ARE dangerous and you can just walk up on one. I > walked up and almost steped on a 5 ft diamond back before he started > rattling and I LEAPED back before he got his witts enough to strike. > > The wind makes more niose than a person walking. > If your walking in deep grass or places where the snake might be > just stomp every 5th step or so or make noise as u go. He will be > more than happy to get out of your way unless your near its nest. In > that case it might come after you but at least it'll rattle. > The "Mojave" rattler is deadly aggresive and its rattle is hard to > hear as its a smaller snake. He's one to watch out for. > > Matthew > A14 > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ
courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
> Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

Mike Frey

nklr-snake bites

Post by Mike Frey » Thu May 20, 2004 2:35 pm

Most east coast rattlesnakes are larger than the western ones. The Eastern Diamondback is the largest venomous snake in the US. **** (Sorry guys, we have to have *something* that's bigger than yours) ***** ;-) Generally, more poisonous ones are found in the east. The Mojave Rattlesnake is the most poisonous rattler, the Western Diamondback is more aggressive than the Eastern. Thus, more press from snake bites out west. In any case, I say don't worry too much about them, east or west. The road (cars) and golf course (lightning strikes) is a far more dangerous place to be than biking where snakes are. Mike "I like Bikes, Snakes, and Golf" Frey Gary Parece wrote:
>Hi, being from the east coast we don't really run into (at least I don't ) snacks that are a threat. but i'm a little concerned with running into them and what to do before hand to be prepared just in case I get bitten by a snake ( rattle and other harmful snakes ) while in Moab and the southwest. > Is there medicine that can be bought over the counter while out there or is there something I have to get prescribed from my doctor?? Should I be concerned at all? or is it a freak thing when somebody gets bitten by a harmful snake?? Even if it is a freak thing I would still want to be prepared! > Any insight on this subject would be very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Gary Parece >98 concours 101K, 01 VFR 5K > 02 DRZ400E,KLR650 2K > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Matthew

nklr-snake bites

Post by Matthew » Thu May 20, 2004 2:40 pm

FYI For those in AZ. I came Across that mojave rattler in Cochise Az. Texas Canyon to be exact. Its a real pretty and deadly place. lots o snakes in that area for at least 5 mi around. its becuase 1800 acers have always been protected and owned by the Amerind Foundation out there. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Seifert" wrote:
> I'm glad you brought up my personal; favorite, the Mojave
Green........no
> relation to Steve or Eric..........It's different from your basic
pacific
> or East coast rattler in two major ways, it's every bit as
aggressive as a
> water moccasin and more importantly, it possesses a neurotoxic
venom rather
> than the hemolytic venom that every other rattler has. In other
words, it
> has a venom very similar to the coral snake and cobras and the
grass viper
> or two step. And it is deadly. Luckily they are rare in San Diego
County.
> > > I respond to 5 or 6 rattlesnake removals over the course of the
summer with
> the FD and we were confronted with a Mojave last summer. What a
son of a
> bitch. I'm really glad I had a 6' snake stick to deal with him.
He made a
> really cool hat band for one of the medics. > > from the enlightened KLR of Harry Seifert > bseifert71@m... > > > > [Original Message] > > From: Matthew > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > > Date: 5/20/04 11:26:46 AM > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: NKLR-Snake bites > > > > Ive spent a fair amount of time in southeastern AZ and seen
plenty O
> > rattlers. IMO they ARE dangerous and you can just walk up on
one. I
> > walked up and almost steped on a 5 ft diamond back before he
started
> > rattling and I LEAPED back before he got his witts enough to
strike.
> > > > The wind makes more niose than a person walking. > > If your walking in deep grass or places where the snake might be > > just stomp every 5th step or so or make noise as u go. He will
be
> > more than happy to get out of your way unless your near its
nest. In
> > that case it might come after you but at least it'll rattle. > > The "Mojave" rattler is deadly aggresive and its rattle is hard
to
> > hear as its a smaller snake. He's one to watch out for. > > > > Matthew > > A14 > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List
FAQ
> courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Don Bittle

nklr-snake bites

Post by Don Bittle » Thu May 20, 2004 3:38 pm

Unless things have changed whilst I've napped, the current thinking is to do nothing if you are within 2 hours of medical help. This catches 90% of my travels, esp. when on a fast motorcycle. Worry more about scorpions (ask my wife), spiders (ask my son), bee stings and not acting like a macho shit (don't irritate snakes). Get out there amongst'em, don
----- Original Message ----- From: "takes2serious" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 11:10 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: NKLR-Snake bites >