nklr risks and wandering

DSN_KLR650
Chris

klr seat height

Post by Chris » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:54 pm

Try finding any bike to fit when you're 6'5". Most bikes are for the little people. Stop whining ;-).
On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:53:53PM -0700, Jim The Canoeist wrote: > Hardly any offroad bike/rider combo's allow for that any more. Just the > taller riders have that advantage. I agree on the safety concern but we > have created a market for long wheel travel and soft seats and that somehow > translates to the engineers that it is OK to design unacceptable seat > heights for shorter riders. It's universal. Try to find even a 400cc class > dirt bike to fit. The KLR ain't bad and it's modifiable. > -Jim in AZ > -- ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ http://www.panix.com/~cesser/mybike/

Stuart Mumford

klr seat height

Post by Stuart Mumford » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:04 pm

> -----Original Message----- > Subject: Re: Re: KLR seat height > > On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:56:38PM -0500, Jeff wrote: > > I have a 30" inseam.... i heard from my MSC instructor that for > safety, you > > should be able to flatfoot both feet.... > > > > -Jeff Hughes > > As a new rider, yeah I'd have to agree with him. It will give you a > lot more confidence on the bike if you can.
I remember from my MSF course, the instructor made a point of saying to just put down your left foot so you can depress the rear brake pedal whilst stopped. The only time I put down both feet is when I'm preparing to race someone at a light. Makes for a better start, ya know. I reckon if it's your first time riding, you may want the illusion of safety that being able to stand straddling you bike will give you, but it really isn't good for anything. All these seat height questions are moot, IMHO, because as some knowledgeable lister once pointed out, if you can put your feet down, you're going too slow. Thanks CA Stu A13

planetequipment

klr seat height

Post by planetequipment » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:51 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim The Canoeist" wrote: //snip
> If you are anywhere near Peoria, AZ, you can test > yourself on mine which is 3" lower in the saddle and I am 5'6"
with 28"
> > -Jim in AZ
I can touch my toes to the ground - on a level surface. My bike is lowered 1 1/2", but my Mayer seat puts me back up at the stock height. Also 5'6". Also 28" inseam. Also in AZ. Ron Gilbert, AZ

bigfatgreenbike

klr seat height

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:47 am

bowman@... wrote:
>On Friday 05 December 2003 18:47, CA Stu wrote: > > >>I reckon if it's your first time riding, you may want the illusion of >>safety that being able to stand straddling you bike will give you, but it >>really isn't good for anything. >> >> > >I find it convenient to stand up and stretch, rearrange my jockey shorts, etc, >at stop lights when I'm on the Sportster. > >
I just stand on the pegs at highway speeds, and use my clutch hand to pick the wedgie out (Sorry if you were driving behind me with your family in the car....) -- Devon Brooklyn, NY A15-Z '01 KLR650 '81 SR500 cafe racer "The truth's not too popular these days....." Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man

Lujo Bauer

klr seat height

Post by Lujo Bauer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:24 am

I think using your feet as outriggers for riding (on roads) in the snow wouldn't work nearly as well if you can't put both feet down flat. That was the only occasion when I cared about being able to reach the ground easily. -Lujo bigfatgreenbike wrote:
> > bowman@... wrote: > > >>On Friday 05 December 2003 18:47, CA Stu wrote: >> >> >> >>>I reckon if it's your first time riding, you may want the illusion of >>>safety that being able to stand straddling you bike will give you, but it >>>really isn't good for anything. >>> >>> >> >>I find it convenient to stand up and stretch, rearrange my jockey shorts, etc, >>at stop lights when I'm on the Sportster. >> >> > > I just stand on the pegs at highway speeds, and use my clutch hand to > pick the wedgie out (Sorry if you were driving behind me with your > family in the car....) > >

Guy B. Young II - COG Tech. Ed.

klr seat height

Post by Guy B. Young II - COG Tech. Ed. » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:15 am

Lujo, Several years ago a picture appeared in American Motorcyclist, or Rider (senior moment) that showed a bundled-up gent on a Gold Wing in one of the Scandinavian countries during winter. Snow was everywhere, including the road he was on. The bike was fitted with outrigger skies that were connected through a parallelogram-type linkage arrangement which allowed them to raise and lower evenly as the bike was leaned over. The rider positioned his feet on the LH/RH respective ski and shifted his weight to keep the bike up-right. I thought it right ingenious. Necessity is the mother of invention, or more simply, where there is a will, there is a way. :-) Guy At 10:23 AM 12/6/03 -0500, Lujo Bauer wrote:
>I think using your feet as outriggers for riding (on roads) in the snow >wouldn't work nearly as well if you can't put both feet down flat. That >was the only occasion when I cared about being able to reach the ground >easily. > >-Lujo

Judson D. Jones

nklr risks and wandering

Post by Judson D. Jones » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:39 pm

, my Pitbull was blessed by a priest. (The only
> dog who had to have his head held while the priest blessed his
butt. Well,
> maybe not the only dog but dogs don't have lawyers.) As we were
about to go
> on our separate ways, I said, "I don't live to ride or ride to
live. I ride
> to ride and live to live."
I beg to differ. Some of my best clients have been dogs. "Ride to eat, eat to ride".