chicks & bike lists nklr

DSN_KLR650
Stuart Heaslet

what am i missing about this missing

Post by Stuart Heaslet » Thu Nov 16, 2000 5:56 pm

Bogdan, It still bugs me that the problem goes away when you change the fuel selector position. Can there be a vapor lock problem in the line? Stuart

Stuart Mumford

Post by Stuart Mumford » Thu Nov 16, 2000 6:06 pm

Hey Bogdan, I know you did Skip's fuel tank mod... have you considered maybe something inside the tank is wrong? Not to question your impeccable mechanical abilities, but maybe something in there is kinked or has slipped? Everyone is saying fuel , so start at the petcock... CA Stu

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Thu Nov 16, 2000 6:47 pm

now way!...?    -----Original Message----- [b]From:[/b] Fred Hink [mailto:moabmc@...] [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, November 16, 2000 7:53 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_klr650@egroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: FW: What Am I Missing About This Missing
[quote] [b]I know what your missing problem is.  You say your problem started after arriving to the Moab rally?  Ever ridden past the Uranium tailings pile on the banks of the Colorado river north of Moab?  Ever seen the green glow over the tailings after dark?  [/b] [b][/b]  [b]I bet if you were riding your bike past these tailings with the wind direction just right, your CDI could be suffering from Radiation Poisoning.  Next time to Moab you better wrap your CDI with lead or wait till the winds are out of the north.[/b] [b][/b]  [b]Most CDIs can only be tested by switching them with a known good one.[/b] [b][/b]  [b]Fred[/b] [b][/b]  [b][/b]  ----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] bSwider@... [b]To:[/b] bSwider@... ; DSN_klr650@egroups.com ; 'k650dsn@...' ; heaslet@... [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:34 PM [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: FW: What Am I Missing About This Missing > A couple of crazy ideas:  What is status of plug wire itself?   And, > possibly more important, has anyone (Skip?) had experience with some kind > of plant (anerobic?) growth in fuels?  This stuff has occurred in aircraft > > fuel tanks in past years, and may be stuck in the 'regular' intake tube > inside the tank as opposed to the reserve intake.  The only other thing I > can think of is to be sure to verify a solid ground circuit.  It does > sound > like it would be more of an electrical problem.  The manual has a number > of > component tests that you can do at home with the multimeter to verify > integrity. > > Stuart > Thanks Fireball, I'll take your advice on the ground circuit and think I'll replace the plug wire. I like your "Blob" theory but I scrubbed the hell out of the stem when I was messing with the petcock. BTW I heard that you sat on your bike overlooking Salt Lake City and said "This is not the place". Bogdan Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com
Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com [/quote]

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Nov 16, 2000 6:53 pm

[b]WAY!![/b] [b][/b]  [b]What do you think it is that brings folks back to Moab every year?  It sure isn't these dumb red rocks.[/b] [b][/b]  [b][/b] 
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] Peter_Dahlheimer@... [b]To:[/b] moabmc@... [b]Cc:[/b] DSN_klr650@egroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, November 16, 2000 4:47 PM [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: FW: What Am I Missing About This Missing now way!...?    -----Original Message----- [b]From:[/b] Fred Hink [mailto:moabmc@...] [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, November 16, 2000 7:53 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_klr650@egroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: FW: What Am I Missing About This Missing [quote] [b]I know what your missing problem is.  You say your problem started after arriving to the Moab rally?  Ever ridden past the Uranium tailings pile on the banks of the Colorado river north of Moab?  Ever seen the green glow over the tailings after dark?  [/b] [b][/b]  [b]I bet if you were riding your bike past these tailings with the wind direction just right, your CDI could be suffering from Radiation Poisoning.  Next time to Moab you better wrap your CDI with lead or wait till the winds are out of the north.[/b] [b][/b]  [b]Most CDIs can only be tested by switching them with a known good one.[/b] [b][/b]  [b]Fred[/b] [b][/b]  [b][/b]  ----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] bSwider@... [b]To:[/b] bSwider@... ; DSN_klr650@egroups.com ; 'k650dsn@...' ; heaslet@... [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:34 PM [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: FW: What Am I Missing About This Missing > A couple of crazy ideas:  What is status of plug wire itself?   And, > possibly more important, has anyone (Skip?) had experience with some kind > of plant (anerobic?) growth in fuels?  This stuff has occurred in aircraft > > fuel tanks in past years, and may be stuck in the 'regular' intake tube > inside the tank as opposed to the reserve intake.  The only other thing I > can think of is to be sure to verify a solid ground circuit.  It does > sound > like it would be more of an electrical problem.  The manual has a number > of > component tests that you can do at home with the multimeter to verify > integrity. > > Stuart > Thanks Fireball, I'll take your advice on the ground circuit and think I'll replace the plug wire. I like your "Blob" theory but I scrubbed the hell out of the stem when I was messing with the petcock. BTW I heard that you sat on your bike overlooking Salt Lake City and said "This is not the place". Bogdan Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com
Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com [/quote] Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Dan Oaks

Post by Dan Oaks » Thu Nov 16, 2000 10:39 pm

Maybe you're out of gas! bierdo http://www.dirtly.com http://www.formtechservices.com Message: 4 Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:54:38 -0500 From: Stuart Heaslet Subject: RE: Re: FW: What Am I Missing About This Missing Bogdan, It still bugs me that the problem goes away when you change the fuel selector position. Can there be a vapor lock problem in the line? Stuart

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:48 am

> I know what your missing problem is. You say your problem started after > arriving to the Moab rally? Ever ridden past the Uranium tailings pile on > the banks of the Colorado river north of Moab? Ever seen the green glow > over the tailings after dark? > > I bet if you were riding your bike past these tailings with the wind > direction just right, your CDI could be suffering from Radiation > Poisoning. Next time to Moab you better wrap your CDI with lead or wait > till the winds are out of the north. > > Most CDIs can only be tested by switching them with a known good one. > > Fred > > >
Wow ! Maybe it effected my sex life! A green radiation glow would rule. Remember it's the sizzle not the round steak. Bogdan, who will peek under the covers next time.

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:03 am

> Bogdan, > > It still bugs me that the problem goes away when you change the fuel > selector position. Can there be a vapor lock problem in the line? > Stuart >
I should have been more articulate in my original post, The stuttering was cured by changing the selector position only once because, I believe, the fuel was at a certain level. This led me to believe I found the cause of the problem and made me rebuild the petcock and when that didn't help, defeat the vacuum mechanism, After that one time when on many occasions, I changed selector position it cured nothing; the engine kept missing. Thanks Fireball, Bogdan

Kurt Simpson

Post by Kurt Simpson » Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:22 am

> > It still bugs me that the problem goes away when you change the fuel > > selector position. Can there be a vapor lock problem in the line? > > Stuart > > > I should have been more articulate in my original post, The > stuttering was cured by changing the selector position only once > because, I believe, the fuel was at a certain level. This led me to
believe
> I found the cause of the problem and made me rebuild the petcock and when
that didn't
> help, defeat the vacuum mechanism, After that one time when on many > occasions, I changed selector position it cured nothing; the engine kept > missing. Thanks Fireball, Bogdan
I have long felt that there remained two lingering and serious running problems on the KLR (not counting the sidestand and neutral safety switch). The misfiring during rain/storm/stream crossing. And, two, the occasional misfiring that came with sustained high speed running on hot days. The first is now relegated to the land of the sidestand, and neutral safety switches...the T-vent is the solution. The second is rarer and for that reason is hard to pinpoint as a condition in general rather than unrelated issues that occur on different bikes. I know that my bike would do something very similar to yours and then it would go away. I think everyone agrees it is fuel or electrical, I lean towards a fuel problem and a tough one. If it were me I would start over with every aspect of the fuel system, pulling the carb, checking the hoses, checking the jets, the floats, fuel delivery, venting, diaphragm condition, the works. Kurt

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:23 am

> ---------- > > > Hey Bogdan, I know you did Skip's fuel tank mod... have you considered > maybe > something inside the tank is wrong? Not to question your impeccable > mechanical abilities, but maybe something in there is kinked or has > slipped? > Everyone is saying fuel , so start at the petcock... > CA Stu > >
The problem started before I installed the mod. I latter did check for kinks and proper location, Thanks Stu, Bogdan

bill e goat

Post by bill e goat » Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:39 am

> > I think everyone agrees it is fuel or electrical, I lean towards a
fuel
> problem and a tough one.
Bogdan, if you listen carefully to the motor as it dies it is often possible to tell if it is fuel starvation or a cutoff of electrical current. Generally, if it is fuel, the motor will somteimes behave strangely momentarily before dying completely....like revving or sputtering. Generally, if it is electrical current loss in the ignition, the motor will die abruptly. I have had bits of fuel line stuck in float bowl years ago which kept bouncing upwards and cloggin the needle valve, miffing me for many months until I found the little pecker...it had sheard off the fuel line by the sharp edge on the carb inlet pipe (Holley carb). As for my (Palm Beach style) vote, it sounds like fuel to me, but I haven't heard how it dies....so the jury's still out.