ponyboy8844

Re: Original Hero and Long Distance Robot Side by Side [1 Attachment

Post by ponyboy8844 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Well I stand corrected!  :)   -Roy

-------- Original message --------
From: "Rock-O River sandrockriver996@yahoo.com [B9Builders]"
Date: 01/23/2016 4:36 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: "ponyboy8844 ponyboy8844@comcast.net [B9Builders]"
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Original Hero and Long Distance Robot Side by Side [1 Attachment]

Restored B9, Bobby May and myself years ago.
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Jan 23, 2016 1:05 PM, "ponyboy8844 ponyboy8844@comcast.net [B9Builders]" wrote:

Hmmm... This picture is indeed an enigma. I think I remember many years ago someone said this picture was taken when Greg Jein was restoring the original or creating the duplicate. I can't remember which. Greg had partially restored the stunt, restored the hero and built the duplicate. The brain on the stunt is for sure wearing Jein's alteration to it. He pretty much covered the brain with silver tape so it didn't have the Sharpie pen hieroglyphics look anymore and this pic shows that. Jein's hieroglyphics were much less taller and at a very straight line across. I'm still not convinced that's the hero. Mainly because the legs on the restored hero didn't look as good as on the duplicate. These legs look like the nicer duplicate legs. Also the hero didn't have the one piece upper knee plate. Quite franky I never noticed this before in the pic and never saw these on either the hero or the duplicate before. It's very strange. I'm pretty sure the hero had the bent claws and correct ear sensor curve even after the restoration. The claws in the pic are straight and the red ear sensor has the wrong curve as the duplicate did and still does as far as I know.  -Roy

From: "Rock-O River sandrockriver996@yahoo.com [B9Builders]"
Date: 01/23/2016 1:34 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: "quadrant-6@nyc.rr.com [B9Builders]"
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Original Hero and Long Distance Robot Side by Side

I remember years ago seeing the real hero legs auctioned off on eBay, but what I don't understand is when I saw the Mystery Island Robot in the 80's, the legs where from what I could see "The Original", so someone must have sold them. But the legs I saw on eBay looked very warped and old, like 60's old. I have also seen them on older photos where the Robot was displayed after he was purchased by K.B. The legs I saw and felt fro the Mystery Robot looked good and felt strong, but that could have been because the paint they used sealed the material like a cast. When I went to stretch out the arms, they were very, very stiff. Would just hang, but you could tell they were Original. Perhaps K.B. tried to remove the paint and the material then sagged. Then the copies where made???
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Jan 23, 2016 11:23 AM, "quadrant-6@nyc.rr.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

I think I got this photo from Flint probably in the late 80 s. He should definitely know the source.

Some good observations but let me dispel some. These are the stunt and hero, no question.  I believe this is way before the Kevin Burns dupe. I can t pinpoint what it is exactly but I can always tell when they use Kevin Burn's robot on toy or DVD packaging because it just doesn t look right.

The claws could always rotate all the way around, Bob just held them the way he did when he was in it. Many robot toys feature the claws that way. I know some manufactures were given access to the robot and the toys look the way they do because this is how they may have seen the robot with no one inside of it. As far as one of the robots floating, I mentioned in my post that one is slightly closer to the camera which I would think creates that floating and taller effect.

What I am enlightened by are Craig s comments about some of the details. My first thought is OK, it s not during the show s production and maybe was around the time of the Greg Jein era. I have pictures of the stunt in several diff states of restore from that period and can see that the stunt may look like Jein s restore .

However! when the hero was rescued (as the Mystery Island robot) and then restored, the original legs were never to be seen on the robot again. I don t know if they were wrecked by the Mystery Island alteration but I ve only ever seen (bad) duplicate legs on the hero after restoration. Azarian has a pair of legs on his web site but I don t know the source of them. 

These are clearly the hero legs we know from the show, so that would date this photo before Jein s time and the Mystery Island time. It s also clear that the photo is from a newspaper (scanned from newsprint) so it s either press from the original show s time or it s from a Lisfan which puts us right back where we started.

Jinkies,I love a good mystery, hopefully Flint will chime in and let us know the true hollywood story.

sandrockriver996

Re: Original Hero and Long Distance Robot Side by Side [1 Attachment

Post by sandrockriver996 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Nothings ever sure anymore Roy, the only ones who know who is who are the owners. But this is what I was referring to with the leg plates. there was no tread section, so someone had to build a quick fix to get him exposed....? That's probably why his legs look that way in photo. Sorry but I had to research some more. If you have the book Lost in Space 25th Anniversary Celebration, the photo's on page 32 clearly shows it to be the restored Robot (see attached).  Sandy (All this over a photo - Definitely my Bipolar kicking in for research).   I'm trying to attach the photo's but unable to, so if you have the book, you will see incorrect leg support in it.  
These are the Hero legs that were sold on eBay for a hefty purchase if I remember correctly..Image

---In B9Builders@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Well I stand corrected!  :)   -Roy

Date: 01/23/2016 4:36 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: "ponyboy8844 ponyboy8844@... [B9Builders]"
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Original Hero and Long Distance Robot Side by Side [1 Attachment]

Restored B9, Bobby May and myself years ago.
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Jan 23, 2016 1:05 PM, "ponyboy8844 ponyboy8844@... [B9Builders]" wrote:

Hmmm... This picture is indeed an enigma. I think I remember many years ago someone said this picture was taken when Greg Jein was restoring the original or creating the duplicate. I can't remember which. Greg had partially restored the stunt, restored the hero and built the duplicate. The brain on the stunt is for sure wearing Jein's alteration to it. He pretty much covered the brain with silver tape so it didn't have the Sharpie pen hieroglyphics look anymore and this pic shows that. Jein's hieroglyphics were much less taller and at a very straight line across. I'm still not convinced that's the hero. Mainly because the legs on the restored hero didn't look as good as on the duplicate. These legs look like the nicer duplicate legs. Also the hero didn't have the one piece upper knee plate. Quite franky I never noticed this before in the pic and never saw these on either the hero or the duplicate before. It's very strange. I'm pretty sure the hero had the bent claws and correct ear sensor curve even after the restoration. The claws in the pic are straight and the red ear sensor has the wrong curve as the duplicate did and still does as far as I know.  -Roy

Date: 01/23/2016 1:34 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: "quadrant-6@... [B9Builders]"
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Original Hero and Long Distance Robot Side by Side

I remember years ago seeing the real hero legs auctioned off on eBay, but what I don't understand is when I saw the Mystery Island Robot in the 80's, the legs where from what I could see "The Original", so someone must have sold them. But the legs I saw on eBay looked very warped and old, like 60's old. I have also seen them on older photos where the Robot was displayed after he was purchased by K.B. The legs I saw and felt fro the Mystery Robot looked good and felt strong, but that could have been because the paint they used sealed the material like a cast. When I went to stretch out the arms, they were very, very stiff. Would just hang, but you could tell they were Original. Perhaps K.B. tried to remove the paint and the material then sagged. Then the copies where made???
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Jan 23, 2016 11:23 AM, "quadrant-6@... [B9Builders]" wrote:

I think I got this photo from Flint probably in the late 80 s. He should definitely know the source.

Some good observations but let me dispel some. These are the stunt and hero, no question.  I believe this is way before the Kevin Burns dupe. I can t pinpoint what it is exactly but I can always tell when they use Kevin Burn's robot on toy or DVD packaging because it just doesn t look right.

The claws could always rotate all the way around, Bob just held them the way he did when he was in it. Many robot toys feature the claws that way. I know some manufactures were given access to the robot and the toys look the way they do because this is how they may have seen the robot with no one inside of it. As far as one of the robots floating, I mentioned in my post that one is slightly closer to the camera which I would think creates that floating and taller effect.

What I am enlightened by are Craig s comments about some of the details. My first thought is OK, it s not during the show s production and maybe was around the time of the Greg Jein era. I have pictures of the stunt in several diff states of restore from that period and can see that the stunt may look like Jein s restore .

However! when the hero was rescued (as the Mystery Island robot) and then restored, the original legs were never to be seen on the robot again. I don t know if they were wrecked by the Mystery Island alteration but I ve only ever seen (bad) duplicate legs on the hero after restoration. Azarian has a pair of legs on his web site but I don t know the source of them. 

These are clearly the hero legs we know from the show, so that would date this photo before Jein s time and the Mystery Island time. It s also clear that the photo is from a newspaper (scanned from newsprint) so it s either press from the original show s time or it s from a Lisfan which puts us right back where we started.

Jinkies,I love a good mystery, hopefully Flint will chime in and let us know the true hollywood story.