Re: tread section build [2 Attachments]

muldokken

tread section build

Post by muldokken » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm

hi guys,dont know whetherthis has come up before but in researching the color of our buddy i found a product that has been around for quite awhile,it was or is used to paint machinery for industrial equipment and some farm implements..it is a opalescent one stage paint and when applied right it gives a 3d effect of being textured or hammerd while remaining flat and glossy.. so i decided to buy some and give it a try...the first test were on the underside of the knees then when i was happy with the mix shot the treads and got the wheels installed think it turned out pretty kool and the color looks right to me.what do you guys think? see pics,so now comes the question lol,got he treads from eric and was wondering how you go about trimming the side panels? is there a measurement on the flat part like 3/4 or 1/2 inch? thanx in advance 

muldokken

Re: tread section build

Post by muldokken » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:26 pm

muldokken

tread section build

Post by muldokken » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:31 pm

hi guys,dont know whetherthis has come up before but in researching the color of our buddy i found a product that has been around for quite awhile,it was or is used to paint machinery for industrial equipment and some farm implements..it is a opalescent one stage paint and when applied right it gives a 3d effect of being textured or hammerd while remaining flat and glossy.. so i decided to buy some and give it a try...the first test were on the underside of the knees then when i was happy with the mix shot the treads and got the wheels installed think it turned out pretty kool and the color looks right to me.what do you guys think? see pics,so now comes the question lol,got he treads from eric and was wondering how you go about trimming the side panels? is there a measurement on the flat part like 3/4 or 1/2 inch? thanx in advance 

muldokken

Post by muldokken » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Well the site seems to be stripping my pics Sent from Outlook Mobile

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM -0800, "muldokken@msn.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

deroseje

Post by deroseje » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:17 pm

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\B9YAHOO\attachments\\IMG_0770.JPG]IMG_0770.JPG[/url]
Hey there,

I don't see any pics attached.  Please do as I'd like to see what you've done!

As for the side panels, the only way may wee brain saw fit to approach it was to use cardboard as a mockup side panel.  I measured, trimmed and adjusted until I had a peice of cardboard that matched both sides of the treads exactly.  I then used it to trace the apporopriate size on the side panels.  I then used a band saw to cut the panels.  After that, I did a whole lot of sanding on the edges to get them sized just right and to also create the appropriate taper.  

Here's a couple of shots of mine.  Hope it helps.

Jeff-

Sent from my iPad
------ Original Message ------

To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com
Sent: January 13, 2016 at 11:15 AM
Subject: [B9Builders] tread section build

lynn johnson

Re: tread section build [2 Attachments]

Post by lynn johnson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Attachments : ok ill try this...   [img]cid:inlineImage0[/img]  

Muldokken

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 20:17:30 +0000
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] tread section build [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from jeff.derose@comcast.net included below] Hey there,

I don't see any pics attached.  Please do as I'd like to see what you've done!

As for the side panels, the only way may wee brain saw fit to approach it was to use cardboard as a mockup side panel.  I measured, trimmed and adjusted until I had a peice of cardboard that matched both sides of the treads exactly.  I then used it to trace the apporopriate size on the side panels.  I then used a band saw to cut the panels.  After that, I did a whole lot of sanding on the edges to get them sized just right and to also create the appropriate taper.  

Here's a couple of shots of mine.  Hope it helps.

Jeff-

Sent from my iPad

Sent: January 13, 2016 at 11:15 AM
Subject: [B9Builders] tread section build

warpig2011

Post by warpig2011 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:42 pm

See if you can load the pics into the forum Gallery.

warpig2011

Post by warpig2011 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Never mind - looks like you figured it out.

Looks great! What is the paint?

lynn johnson

Post by lynn johnson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:30 pm

its called dimenso got it through sherman williams industrial finishes,they said this formula while not offered by them in the past has been around since the 40s and was a very popular finish... i wonder if this was the stuff they used on the original?  thanks for the replys and jeff any way you could measure the lip on yours just to give me an idea on how wide it is?your treads look great too btw :)  

Muldokken

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:11:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] tread section build

deroseje

Post by deroseje » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Attachments :Will do Muldokken.  I'll check it out when I get home tonight.  Can't guarantee it'll have a truly uniform lip all the way around, though.  Good ol Jeff don't work dat way...... ;-)

Jeff-

Sent from my iPad

To: b9builders@yahoogroups.com
Sent: January 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM
Subject: RE: [B9Builders] tread section build
  its called dimenso got it through sherman williams industrial finishes,they said this formula while not offered by them in the past has been around since the 40s and was a very popular finish... i wonder if this was the stuff they used on the original?  thanks for the replys and jeff any way you could measure the lip on yours just to give me an idea on how wide it is?your treads look great too btw :)  

Muldokken

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:11:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] tread section build