Re: Trip Through The Robot

ponyboy8844

Trip Through The Robot

Post by ponyboy8844 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:14 pm

I was watching the episode "Trip Through The Robot" that I recorded from Metv last night and noticed something I never saw before. When Will and Dr. Smith find the now HUGE robot lying on his back, they run up to the bottom of his tread section. Interestingly the middle rubber treads are one piece! There's no split between them. This is the forced perspective shot where the Robot is actually closer to the camera and Bill Mumy and Jonathan Harris are actually further back to make them look small. Now why in the world did they decide to alter the Robot's middle treads to a solid piece? You can see how the solid piece is on top of the original rubber treads. Also you can tell they attached some panels on the flat areas between the rubber treads in order to hide the holes on the bottom where the pull cables attach.  -Roy

Mark Boyle

Post by Mark Boyle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Attachments :
[img]cid:74a9bb30-931c-4c40-b779-05f0d1c102b8[/img]So it is...never noticed that before...

From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com on behalf of ponyboy8844 ponyboy8844@comcast.net [B9Builders]
Sent: Monday, 21 December 2015 12:14 PM
To: Robot Builders
Subject: [B9Builders] Trip Through The Robot
    I was watching the episode "Trip Through The Robot" that I recorded from Metv last night and noticed something I never saw before. When Will and Dr. Smith find the now HUGE robot lying on his back, they run up to the bottom of his tread section. Interestingly the middle rubber treads are one piece! There's no split between them. This is the forced perspective shot where the Robot is actually closer to the camera and Bill Mumy and Jonathan Harris are actually further back to make them look small. Now why in the world did they decide to alter the Robot's middle treads to a solid piece? You can see how the solid piece is on top of the original rubber treads. Also you can tell they attached some panels on the flat areas between the rubber treads in order to hide the holes on the bottom where the pull cables attach.  -Roy

ponyboy8844

Post by ponyboy8844 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Ooo! That's a great screen grab Mark! Thank you! I noticed in the next scene when Bill and Jonathan are right next to the large mock up of the Robot's tread section that the center treads are one piece also. Could it be that someone noticed they built the mock up incorrectly and tried to make the forced perspective shot match? Although I can't imagine them going through so much trouble considering how many bloopers are in the show.  -Roy

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/20/2015 7:19 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Trip Through The Robot

[img]cid:74a9bb30-931c-4c40-b779-05f0d1c102b8[/img]So it is...never noticed that before...

From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com on behalf of ponyboy8844 ponyboy8844@comcast.net [B9Builders]

Mark Boyle

Post by Mark Boyle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Attachments :
As clean as it looks I wonder if the complete underside of the tread section we see is a life size mock up. Held in sync with the B9 blow up behind it ?

Sent: Monday, 21 December 2015 12:34 PM
  Ooo! That's a great screen grab Mark! Thank you! I noticed in the next scene when Bill and Jonathan are right next to the large mock up of the Robot's tread section that the center treads are one piece also. Could it be that someone noticed they built the mock up incorrectly and tried to make the forced perspective shot match? Although I can't imagine them going through so much trouble considering how many bloopers are in the show.  -Roy

ponyboy8844

Post by ponyboy8844 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:54 pm

I don't think it is because if you look at the solid middle tread, you can see the layers of rubber where the solid piece and the original rubber meet. But when Will and Dr. Smith are next to the mock up, you can tell the middle tread is not layered and is probably made of wood. Plus there's no access panel in the far shot. It's very strange and I've never noticed it until now.   -Roy

Date: 12/20/2015 7:38 PM (GMT-07:00)

As clean as it looks I wonder if the complete underside of the tread section we see is a life size mock up. Held in sync with the B9 blow up behind it ?

Mark Boyle

Post by Mark Boyle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Attachments :
Yes strange indead youd wonder why they did it that way and for what reason.

Sent: Monday, 21 December 2015 12:53 PM
  I don't think it is because if you look at the solid middle tread, you can see the layers of rubber where the solid piece and the original rubber meet. But when Will and Dr. Smith are next to the mock up, you can tell the middle tread is not layered and is probably made of wood. Plus there's no access panel in the far shot. It's very strange and I've never noticed it until now.   -Roy

Jeff DeRose

Post by Jeff DeRose » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:58 am

It's amazing that it took 50 years and this group of nerds to discover something so obvious!

Sent from my iPad
On Dec 20, 2015, at 7:02 PM, "Mark Boyle markboyle323@hotmail.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

So it is...never noticed that before...

Mark Boyle

Post by Mark Boyle » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:26 am

true that...and what have we not yet discovered ???????????

From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Jeff DeRose jeff.derose@comcast.net [B9Builders]
Sent: Monday, 21 December 2015 4:58 PM
    It's amazing that it took 50 years and this group of nerds to discover something so obvious!

Sent from my iPad
On Dec 20, 2015, at 7:02 PM, "Mark Boyle markboyle323@hotmail.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Herb

Post by Herb » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:13 am

I had noticed this before since it is and has been one of my favorite episodes since I was very little, but I never thought much about it, just assumed it was there to project an image of increased ground friction so the robot could better travel. 

Sent from my iPad
On Dec 20, 2015, at 10:02 PM, Mark Boyle markboyle323@hotmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

I don't think it is because if you look at the solid middle tread, you can see the layers of rubber where the solid piece and the original rubber meet. But when Will and Dr. Smith are next to the mock up, you can tell the middle tread is not layered and
is probably made of wood. Plus there's no access panel in the far shot. It's very strange and I've never noticed it until now.   -Roy

Ooo! That's a great screen grab Mark! Thank you! I noticed in the next scene when Bill and Jonathan are right next to the large mock up of the Robot's tread section that the center treads are one piece also. Could it be that someone noticed they built
the mock up incorrectly and tried to make the forced perspective shot match? Although I can't imagine them going through so much trouble considering how many bloopers are in the show.  -Roy

I was watching the episode "Trip Through The Robot" that I recorded from Metv last night and noticed something I never saw before. When Will and Dr. Smith find the now HUGE robot lying on his back, they run up to the bottom of his tread section. Interestingly
the middle rubber treads are one piece! There's no split between them. This is the forced perspective shot where the Robot is actually closer to the camera and Bill Mumy and Jonathan Harris are actually further back to make them look small. Now why in the
world did they decide to alter the Robot's middle treads to a solid piece? You can see how the solid piece is on top of the original rubber treads. Also you can tell they attached some panels on the flat areas between the rubber treads in order to hide the
holes on the bottom where the pull cables attach.  -Roy

sjb0459

Post by sjb0459 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:10 pm

I noticed on 'wish upon a star' when Will and Penny hold the model Jupiter 2 you can see the holes in the fuselage where the model ran along wires for the crash sequence.
Steve