Re: Going to try a new Power Supply

deroseje

Going to try a new Power Supply

Post by deroseje » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
I think I'm going to try a new power supply in my build.  As I've mentioned in the past, I'm hunting down a gremlin in my system that is causing the neon to blink randomly when no voice files are playing.  My system is quite simple, so I'm a bit puzzled by this.
Anyway, I've never been happy with the noise level coming from the fan in my current power supply, so I figured I'd upgrade and hopefully solve both problems (random blinking and loud fan).
I currently am using the Mean-Well SP320-12 (12v, 300W and 25amps).  I paid something like $61 for it.  At the time, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on what I thought was an identical PS sold by Astrodyne for $163.  Please see a message posted by Craig R on 6/23/14, "Power Supply Question".  There he talks about these two supplies and questions if they are the same (he uses the Astrodyne version with no extra fan noise or apparent problems).
Astrodyne now sells theirs for $61, which leads me to believe that they are now selling the version I purchased from Mean-Well.  I'd hate to just purchase the same power supply again and experience the same results.
Anyone have suggestions on a single power supply with similar properties (12v, 300W, 25amps)?
Thanks!
Jeff- 

Jim Easley

Post by Jim Easley » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:54 am

Jeff,   Many of the off shore power supplies have noisy fans. Fairly easy procedure to replace the fan with a higher quality part. Another solution would be a high current 12 volt computer supply like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059 . Reasonable cost, very quiet, factory warranty and 650 watts on the 12 volt rail. As a bonus you get additional voltage rails for other needs. Unless your current supply is outputting noise it probably isn t the cause of your neon problem. Find someone with an oscilloscope and measure the output.   Jim   From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 6:59 AM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: [B9Builders] Going to try a new Power Supply    
Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
I think I'm going to try a new power supply in my build.  As I've mentioned in the past, I'm hunting down a gremlin in my system that is causing the neon to blink randomly when no voice files are playing.  My system is quite simple, so I'm a bit puzzled by this.
Anyway, I've never been happy with the noise level coming from the fan in my current power supply, so I figured I'd upgrade and hopefully solve both problems (random blinking and loud fan).
I currently am using the Mean-Well SP320-12 (12v, 300W and 25amps).  I paid something like $61 for it.  At the time, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on what I thought was an identical PS sold by Astrodyne for $163.  Please see a message posted by Craig R on 6/23/14, "Power Supply Question".  There he talks about these two supplies and questions if they are the same (he uses the Astrodyne version with no extra fan noise or apparent problems).
Astrodyne now sells theirs for $61, which leads me to believe that they are now selling the version I purchased from Mean-Well.  I'd hate to just purchase the same power supply again and experience the same results.
Anyone have suggestions on a single power supply with similar properties (12v, 300W, 25amps)?
Thanks!
Jeff-

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 am

Does your neon blink when you turn off whatever device you use to provide audio? What about if the sound interface is disconnected from the amplifier?
-Bob
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 7:59 AM, jeff.derose@comcast.net [B9Builders] wrote:

Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
I think I'm going to try a new power supply in my build. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm hunting down a gremlin in my system that is causing the neon to blink randomly when no voice files are playing. My system is quite simple, so I'm a bit puzzled by this.
I currently am using the Mean-Well SP320-12 (12v, 300W and 25amps). I paid something like $61 for it. At the time, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on what I thought was an identical PS sold by Astrodyne for $163. Please see a message posted by Craig R on 6/23/14, "Power Supply Question". There he talks about these two supplies and questions if they are the same (he uses the Astrodyne version with no extra fan noise or apparent problems).
Astrodyne now sells theirs for $61, which leads me to believe that they are now selling the version I purchased from Mean-Well. I'd hate to just purchase the same power supply again and experience the same results.
Thanks!
Jeff-

David Schulpius

Post by David Schulpius » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm

I like the computer PS Jim pointed to. I've avoided this kind of PS in the past because I read they have issues supplying start up load demands of DC motors and servos (which are really just little DC motors). However that was a while ago and I haven't really researched this lately. Things may have changed. I like the power ratings available on this unit and the whisper quiet fan. You know that this being a computer PS it won't be bleeding noise into the device it's feeding. Still before placing one of these in my power hungry robot I'd like to do a few tests on it to see how it handles induction loads from DC motors and the inrush draw from servos (and DC Motors). A guy could always run this as a second PS feeding just the sound system and neon system and keep it's DC side neutrals isolated from the other Mean-Well PS. That would insure your not getting any electronic bleed from other noisy devices.
As far as the noisy fan on the Mean-Well that was mentioned above it's an easy fix just by changing it. The hard part is finding a good and quiet fan that will fit. I recently bought a Mean-Well PS that supplies 80 amps at 12vdc. I was shocked at how noisy the factory fan was. It sounded like a plane taking off! Not acceptable at all in my robot. I had to keep in mind that faster fan speed = noise but better engineering can quiet it down. So I went cyber shopping. I looked for days and found a nice replacement fan that sounded (pun intended) like it would run at an acceptable noise level. It was pricey at $15 USD but is well built with lots of positive feedback from lots of customers. I did sacrifice some air flow for lower sound level but I figured I'd be OK as I rarely will be running the PS at full capacity for long periods of time. After I installed it I was thrilled at how quiet it was and the air flow seemed like it would be fine. Here's the I ended up using: Noctua 60x25mm A-Series Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Fan - Retail Cooling NF-A6x25

Another option to quiet down a noisy fan in a PS would be to install a larger fan. If there is any way to adapt a larger one and channel the wind through the smaller opening where the smaller fan was mounted. Larger fans are much quieter. There are adaptors available for this purpose and you can also build your own adaptor. I thought of doing this but decided to just get a fan that fit but was better engineered and a little slower than the factory installed one. DANGER WILL ROBINSON: Reduce your fan speed at your own risk though!! Heat kills, crushes and destroys!
Good luck and have fun!!
Dave Schulpius
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Does your neon blink when you turn off whatever device you use to provide audio? What about if the sound interface is disconnected from the amplifier?
-Bob

Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
I think I'm going to try a new power supply in my build. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm hunting down a gremlin in my system that is causing the neon to blink randomly when no voice files are playing. My system is quite simple, so I'm a bit puzzled by this.
I currently am using the Mean-Well SP320-12 (12v, 300W and 25amps). I paid something like $61 for it. At the time, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on what I thought was an identical PS sold by Astrodyne for $163. Please see a message posted by Craig R on 6/23/14, "Power Supply Question". There he talks about these two supplies and questions if they are the same (he uses the Astrodyne version with no extra fan noise or apparent problems).
Astrodyne now sells theirs for $61, which leads me to believe that they are now selling the version I purchased from Mean-Well. I'd hate to just purchase the same power supply again and experience the same results.
Thanks!
Jeff-

deroseje

Post by deroseje » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Attachments :I have not tried this Bob.  But will at my next opportunity.

Sent from my iPad
------ Original Message ------

To: B9 Robots Builders Club
Sent: December 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Going to try a new Power Supply

Does your neon blink when you turn off whatever device you use to provide audio?  What about if the sound interface is disconnected from the amplifier?  
-Bob

Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
I currently am using the Mean-Well SP320-12 (12v, 300W and 25amps).  I paid something like $61 for it.  At the time, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on what I thought was an identical PS sold by Astrodyne for $163.  Please see a message posted by Craig R on 6/23/14, "Power Supply Question".  There he talks about these two supplies and questions if they are the same (he uses the Astrodyne version with no extra fan noise or apparent problems).
Thanks!
Jeff- 

deroseje

Post by deroseje » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Attachments :Thank you Jim!

Sent from my iPad

To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com
Sent: December 11, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Jeff,   Many of the off shore power supplies have noisy fans. Fairly easy procedure to replace the fan with a higher quality part. Another solution would be a high current 12 volt computer supply like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059 . Reasonable cost, very quiet, factory warranty and 650 watts on the 12 volt rail. As a bonus you get additional voltage rails for other needs. Unless your current supply is outputting noise it probably isn’t the cause of your neon problem. Find someone with an oscilloscope and measure the output.   Jim   From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 6:59 AM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: [B9Builders] Going to try a new Power Supply     Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
I currently am using the Mean-Well SP320-12 (12v, 300W and 25amps).  I paid something like $61 for it.  At the time, I thought I was getting a screaming deal on what I thought was an identical PS sold by Astrodyne for $163.  Please see a message posted by Craig R on 6/23/14, "Power Supply Question".  There he talks about these two supplies and questions if they are the same (he uses the Astrodyne version with no extra fan noise or apparent problems).
Thanks!
Jeff-

Jim Easley

Post by Jim Easley » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:30 pm

You are welcome.   From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 2:20 PM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Going to try a new Power Supply    
Thank you Jim!

Sent from my iPad

To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com
Sent: December 11, 2015 at 7:54 AM
  Jeff,   Many of the off shore power supplies have noisy fans. Fairly easy procedure to replace the fan with a higher quality part. Another solution would be a high current 12 volt computer supply like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059 . Reasonable cost, very quiet, factory warranty and 650 watts on the 12 volt rail. As a bonus you get additional voltage rails for other needs. Unless your current supply is outputting noise it probably isn t the cause of your neon problem. Find someone with an oscilloscope and measure the output.   Jim   From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 6:59 AM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: [B9Builders] Going to try a new Power Supply     Hi Gang,
Happy Friday!
Thanks!
Jeff-