3D Printing and Robot Bulding

toborthegreat00150

Re: Thanks Vic for the chiller dvd/Today's Boston Show

Post by toborthegreat00150 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Attachments : Hey Herb:   Thank you very much. No problem. Just wish I would of done a professional job on it. Hey just wanted to send out a photo of the Boston show today. I was not there but I got this off of facebook from a friend. Don't know who's robot that is, but the chariot was parked right in there wow   [img]cid:X.MA1.1449373484@aol.com[/img]   In a message dated 12/5/2015 8:21:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, B9Builders@yahoogroups.com writes:

Hey Vic,
Just wanted to shout out to thank you for the dvd I received today. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'm sure it will be great and the artwork on the cover is fantastic. It was really sooo nice of you to send these out. I'm really glad I got a chance to meet you and so many of the other guys at chiller.
Herb Clann

rustyncc1701 COMCAST

3D Printing and Robot Bulding

Post by rustyncc1701 COMCAST » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 pm

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///C:\Users\CyberPigStudio\AppData\Local\PG Offline 4\Attachments\B9Builders\DSC04752.JPG]DSC04752.JPG[/url]
  1. [url=file:///C:\Users\CyberPigStudio\AppData\Local\PG Offline 4\Attachments\B9Builders\DSC04749.JPG]DSC04749.JPG[/url]
Everyone,   I just thought I share an interesting experience I had as I tried to finished up my build.   Everything is done except for the Ears and torso hooks.  So to make the hooks I had been picking up materials here and there for a while now, two different sizes of metal strips to make the base of the hook, 1/4 metal rod for the hook, plumbers putty to glue it all together, etc.  I assume a lot of you are like me, you plan and plan how to build each part of the robot, and I had been thinking about the hooks for a while, how to figure out the correct radius, temporarily installing the first layer and then gluing the second on to lock the correct shape, heating and bending the metal rod into the correct shape, etc, etc.   So for some other projects I have going on I had purchased a shiny new 3D printer.  So about a week ago I was reading through the 3D printer manual an I thought maybe I can just print the ear hooks.  Could it work?  Instead of spending hours working metal and glue could I just draw a picture and print a finished torso hook?    So I spent about an hours or so, using the excellent reference information from club members, drawing the hooks in my CAD program.   Then I generated the .stl file and send it to the printer, about 2 hours later I had a torso hook!!  I also had lots of plans for the ears, but again a few hours of CAD work and about 8 hours of printing and they were all done, in the perfect shape!!   I have attached a few pictures of the printed parts.   They certainly need some finishing work, but mostly just some light sanding.  The major issues come from the sides that are printed down, for example the ears were printed face down and I am going to have to use some putty to a get a smooth surface.   All and all this was still much easier then building these from scratch.   I really think this printing help us in building projects like a B-9.   Dale