Re: Starting my first B9 build with the collar . V2 or previous tors

aj.brescia

Starting my first B9 build with the collar . V2 or previous torso ?

Post by aj.brescia » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:44 pm

I decided to start my first build with the collar since it is within immediate budget and workspace. Should I go with the V2 torso for my project? I understand the different collar sizes but it gets confusing on two points.
1. Collar rings seem to be made a variety of ways , aluminum and acrylic
2. The ribs are sized differently but also in the ends of the ribs are shown to be cut flush with each other in the builders club page here. The B9 Robot Builders Club
  Image The B9 Robot Builders Club Collar Construction   By Dewey H.   View on www.b9robotbuilders... Preview by Yahoo

All templates for the ribs have the ends not flush vertically which would make sense since the collar rings are different sizes.
Is the collar a good starting point for my v2 build since I have not purchased any club parts yet?
Andy Brescia

Gary Olley

Post by Gary Olley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Attachments :If I was starting now I would go the most accurate I could therefore v2 is the only way to go.Craigs V2 torso is great and you can now have the holes cut.The plans for the V2 collar are on the B9 site.Bobs site show a great building methodhttp://bobgreiner.tripod.com/id30.htm  I see Bob Greiner s often referred to or recommended I would like to add my Thanks to Bob for making his great site available to us.  Gary      From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:B9Builders@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 November 2015 7:15 AM
To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [B9Builders] Starting my first B9 build with the collar . V2 or previous torso ?   
I decided to start my first build with the collar since it is within immediate budget and workspace. Should I go with the V2 torso for my project? I understand the different collar sizes but it gets confusing on two points.
1. Collar rings seem to be made a variety of ways , aluminum and acrylic
2. The ribs are sized differently but also in the ends of the ribs are shown to be cut flush with each other in the builders club page here. The B9 Robot Builders Club
 [img]cid:image001.jpg@01D12689.1DA4CE10[/img]The B9 Robot Builders Club Collar Construction   By Dewey H.   View on www.b9robotbuilders... Preview by Yahoo

All templates for the ribs have the ends not flush vertically which would make sense since the collar rings are different sizes.
Is the collar a good starting point for my v2 build since I have not purchased any club parts yet?
Andy Brescia
 No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7227 / Virus Database: 4460/11053 - Release Date: 11/23/15

aj.brescia

Post by aj.brescia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks, Gary.
It looks like my timing for starting my V2 build with the collar could not have come at a better time. I would consider producing the V2 collar  for the group if no one else commits to "picking up the torch" that Craig no longer carries. First step will be to contact Craig to get a clear understanding of what that would take.

Andy Brescia

David Schulpius

Post by David Schulpius » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Andy, Greg Logue is the collar guy you want to talk to. Dave Schulpius
On Nov 24, 2015 11:09 AM, "aj.brescia@yahoo.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Thanks, Gary.
It looks like my timing for starting my V2 build with the collar could not have come at a better time. I would consider producing the V2 collar for the group if no one else commits to "picking up the torch" that Craig no longer carries. First step will be to contact Craig to get a clear understanding of what that would take.

Andy Brescia

aj.brescia

Post by aj.brescia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks, my old age " name sound alike" kicked in !

Andy

JAMES HARE

Post by JAMES HARE » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Fellow Builders,

I have been working with Craig and Greg on developing a V2 Collar. Unfortunately, just closed on a new home and moved in on Saturday, so my production will not begin until after the new year. I have some new designs in Autocad that are being tweaked based upon the V2 and I am planning to retro it to the V1 torso's as well.

Jim Hare

B9-0661

On 11/24/2015 12:09 PM, aj.brescia@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Thanks, Gary.
It looks like my timing for starting my V2 build with the collar could not have come at a better time. I would consider producing the V2 collar for the group if no one else commits to "picking up the torch" that Craig no longer carries. First step will be to contact Craig to get a clear understanding of what that would take.

Andy Brescia

-- "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." - Alexis de Tocqueville

aj.brescia

Post by aj.brescia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks James for the update on the V2 collar. As a new member of the club, I have a question on protocol when it comes to sharing CAD drawings and such. There are some parts that I plan on fabricating myself and many I will buy from vendors. Is it appropriate to ask club vendors for copies of CAD drawings they have put many hours into, for use on my own build ? Or is it more times depending on the club vendor. If they want to share I would see the plans published when they are completed. 

Andy Brescia

Thanks all and have a Happy Thanksgiving !!

Greg

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm going to put in my two cents on this question.

Personally, if I put all the effort into creating a working cad file for the purpose of selling the part to the club - in an effort to fiance my own robot. No, you should not ask for the files.

Now, as that I had decided to retire from collar building - I gave my files to the club. Granted, it was discovered just a little that my files were wrong. Oh well.

Later,

Greg

On 11/26/2015 7:47 AM, aj.brescia@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Thanks James for the update on the V2 collar. As a new member of the club, I have a question on protocol when it comes to sharing CAD drawings and such. There are some parts that I plan on fabricating myself and many I will buy from vendors. Is it appropriate to ask club vendors for copies of CAD drawings they have put many hours into, for use on my own build ? Or is it more times depending on the club vendor. If they want to share I would see the plans published when they are completed.

Andy Brescia

Mike Handley

Post by Mike Handley » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Well i think it's always ok to ask, after all if the person doesn't want to share they can always say no. 
Personally I've benefited many times from open source hardware and software, if i can give back, with no effort,  something I've put time into, then I see it as simply repaying a small part of that debt. 

Mike H

On Nov 27, 2015, at 2:36 AM, Greg b9greg@rap.midco.net [B9Builders] wrote:

I'm going to put in my two cents on this question.

Personally,  if I put all the effort into creating a working cad file for the purpose of selling the part to the club - in an effort to fiance my own robot.  No, you should not ask for the files.

Now,  as that I had decided to retire from collar building - I gave my files to the club.  Granted, it was discovered just a little that my files were wrong.  Oh well.

Later,

Greg

On 11/26/2015 7:47 AM, aj.brescia@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Thanks James for the update on the V2 collar. As a new member of the club, I have a question on protocol when it comes to sharing CAD drawings and such. There are some parts that I plan on fabricating myself and many I will buy from vendors. Is it appropriate to ask club vendors for copies of CAD drawings they have put many hours into, for use on my own build ? Or is it more times depending on the club vendor. If they want to share I would see the plans published when they are completed. 

Andy Brescia

aj.brescia

Post by aj.brescia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:11 pm

I can easily see both sides and I appreciate the responses. It was my intent to understand the way a builders group works, so not to offend as I start off on my project. I also manage a not-for -profit group and things work better when everyone has a clear understanding and respect of everybody's roles. 

Andy Brescia