Re: Wheels for my B9

muzz122000

Wheels for my B9

Post by muzz122000 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:41 pm

I got out my plans for the wood leg sections from Mark, and I am planning my build at the moment, but I would like some advise if possible.  My build would be static, no motors to power the movement.  How have others overcome this?  I have considered casters set in the bottom leaving only about 2cm protruding so he can be wheeled about.

Is that feasible?  Would it make B9 unstable or is there some other solution?  I would love a few ideas, and especially any build diaries that show a few ideas.

Murray 

Frank S

Post by Frank S » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:37 am

Hello Murray,   I added heavy duty castors to the bottom of my robot, not castors but more of the metal wheels with hard rubber, like you see on a heavy duty metal carts. I bought them at home depot, they come in different sizes and I used thick steel heavy gauge L brackets pre-drilled holes on both sides of the bracket to bolt the wheels on. I left them close enough to the floor so you cannot tell he is lifted, now I can move him around easily without messing up the rubber threads.    Frank  
----- Original Message ----- From: murrayj@supernerd.com.au [B9Builders] To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:41 PM Subject: [B9Builders] Wheels for my B9

I got out my plans for the wood leg sections from Mark, and I am planning my build at the moment, but I would like some advise if possible.  My build would be static, no motors to power the movement.  How have others overcome this?  I have considered casters set in the bottom leaving only about 2cm protruding so he can be wheeled about.

Is that feasible?  Would it make B9 unstable or is there some other solution?  I would love a few ideas, and especially any build diaries that show a few ideas.

Murray 

muzz122000

Post by muzz122000 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Any photos or a build diary?  any other info in the wheels?

David Schulpius

Post by David Schulpius » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:16 pm

What do you want to see or know? Making the wheels, mounting them or both?
On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 6:03 PM, murrayj@supernerd.com.au [B9Builders] wrote:

Any photos or a build diary? any other info in the wheels?

muzz122000

Post by muzz122000 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:00 pm

Just like to see the best way to attach some small casters, probably 2" ones. Would they need to be inset, best way to attach them so they are strong enough, location to attach etc. 
As I said I am making wooden non functioning legs, so I was worried about the attachment not being strong enough with so much weight on top when finished.
Murray

dmw0dmw

Post by dmw0dmw » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:06 am

I used wheels I already had but this would work great. It is easy to set up axles and mounts inside the tread sections without drilling or cutting new holes.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... piderpress

To: "B9Builders"
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:41:53 PM
Subject: [B9Builders] Wheels for my B9

Murray