Re: Paint Prep for Steel Treads

monstermodelman1

Post by monstermodelman1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Ken,
I primered mine, then applied SEM texturing, then applied Light Slate Metallic paint as the color I chose.
It turned out looking like they should. The SEM textured paint is AWESOME!

Good luck!

Bob Jaconetti
B9-0663

rockbuilt11779

Post by rockbuilt11779 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Good morning, you guys know I don't post much but I read all of them. I live on Long Island. I have the capability to powder coat parts. If you are local I will be happy to help. Joe Giannotti Rockbuilt11779
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 3, 2015, at 9:13 AM, Daniel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
I checked into powder coating. I think it was about 400.00 for the set but I bet that varies according to the shop you use.
D.Scott

Sent from my iPad
On Nov 2, 2015, at 8:45 PM, "'Jim Easley' jimeasley.tech@gmail.com [B9Builders]" wrote:

Might try powder coating. It is pretty much impervious to everything and works well with steel. Abrasive blasting will take care of rust and contaminants and preps the material for good adhesion of most materials.   From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Sent: Monday, November 02, 2015 8:27 PM To: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com Subject: [B9Builders] Paint Prep for Steel Treads    

I'm finding so many different methods of cleaning new steel in preparation for paint. I got my tread sections from Eric, so those who have the same ones can perhaps set me straight as to what to do to remove the rust & oily substance to obtain a showroom finish with the paint. I've read about acetone for cleaning, which I really don't want to use but will if it's the best way to go. Also curious about the screw holes and how they will hold up because once you screw something into the tapped holes, they'll then be un-coated & possibly begin to allow oxygen underneath the painted areas around them. That is unavoidable, I suppose but I just want a finish that will last & not be prone to any rust over many, many years. I've seen mention of conversion coatings that somehow changes ferrous metals for better protection. Anyway, those with more knowledge than myself, what are your suggestions? Thanks. Ken.