Re: Reducing RPMs

Daniel Angel

Reducing RPMs

Post by Daniel Angel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 pm

I suspect I know what the answer will be but what the heck ;-)
I have a 6mm micromotor that I need to reduce the RPMs. I know the RPM range and have attempted to reduce that via a voltage controller but have had no luck. Are there any other options to bring this speed down?
Thanks,
Daniel

--
Conquering the world one robot at a time....

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Yes. You can run the motor at full or even higher voltage, but on a lower duty cycle with a PWM controller. Something like this, but probably not this exact one:
http://www.amazon.com/50A-Digital-Motor-Speed-Controller/dp/B004M5NKH4

-Bob
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

I have a 6mm micromotor that I need to reduce the RPMs. I know the RPM range and have attempted to reduce that via a voltage controller but have had no luck. Are there any other options to bring this speed down?
Thanks,
Daniel

--

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm

I just bought one of these to test out. The price is right. I'll give an opinion when it arrives in a couple weeks and will maybe even make a video:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-1-8V-to-12V-2A-PWM-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Motor-Speed-Controller/391151074442?rt=nc&_soffid=5009616002&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Bob Darlington wrote:
Yes. You can run the motor at full or even higher voltage, but on a lower duty cycle with a PWM controller. Something like this, but probably not this exact one:

-Bob

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Thanks,
Daniel

--

Gregorio Padin

Post by Gregorio Padin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:44 pm

Not that I am an expert but if you use an Arduino could it be possible to control the rpm? 
I plan on getting the brain light to blink using one and when I get there I will see if I can control the motors speed. Again I am not an expert just something to think avout.:)
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android From:"Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders]"
Date:Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:39 PM
Subject:Re: [B9Builders] Reducing RPMs

I just bought one of these to test out.  The price is right.  I'll give an opinion when it arrives in a couple weeks and will maybe even make a video:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-1-8V-to-12V-2A-PWM-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Motor-Speed-Controller/391151074442?rt=nc&_soffid=5009616002&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Yes.  You can run the motor at full or even higher voltage, but on a lower duty cycle with a PWM controller.  Something like this, but probably not this exact one:

-Bob

Thanks,
Daniel 

--

Bob Darlington

Post by Bob Darlington » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Yes, absolutely, but not directly. You'd need to use the Arduino for switching a MOSFET or similar that handles the power to the motor. It's kinda overkill. A 555 timer chip is way cheaper and would effectively be doing the same thing. Sometimes solder is the best software.
-Bob
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Gregorio Padin padingre@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Not that I am an expert but if you use an Arduino could it be possible to control the rpm?
I plan on getting the brain light to blink using one and when I get there I will see if I can control the motors speed. Again I am not an expert just something to think avout.:)
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android From:"Bob Darlington rdarlington@gmail.com [B9Builders]"

I just bought one of these to test out. The price is right. I'll give an opinion when it arrives in a couple weeks and will maybe even make a video:

-Bob

Thanks,
Daniel

--

Gregorio Padin

Post by Gregorio Padin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Good point. I never though a 555 couls be used but I will look into it.  I still have much to do before doing any dry run on motors but will keep it in mind. One the puzzle takes form I will be sharing for comments and improvements. :)
Date:Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Yes, absolutely, but not directly.  You'd need to use the Arduino for switching a MOSFET or similar that handles the power to the motor.  It's kinda overkill.  A 555 timer chip is way cheaper and would effectively be doing the same thing.  Sometimes solder is the best software.
-Bob
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Gregorio Padin padingre@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

I plan on getting the brain light to blink using one and when I get there I will see if I can control the motors speed. Again I am not an expert just something to think avout.:)

I just bought one of these to test out.  The price is right.  I'll give an opinion when it arrives in a couple weeks and will maybe even make a video:

Yes.  You can run the motor at full or even higher voltage, but on a lower duty cycle with a PWM controller.  Something like this, but probably not this exact one:

-Bob

Thanks,
Daniel 

--

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Ok. Looks like the most cost effective solution is to buy new motors at the appropriate RPMs . Around 25.00 total.
Thanks for the input. Always appreciated.
Daniel 

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 21, 2015, at 7:31 PM, Gregorio Padin padingre@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Good point. I never though a 555 couls be used but I will look into it.  I still have much to do before doing any dry run on motors but will keep it in mind. One the puzzle takes form I will be sharing for comments and improvements. :)

Yes, absolutely, but not directly.  You'd need to use the Arduino for switching a MOSFET or similar that handles the power to the motor.  It's kinda overkill.  A 555 timer chip is way cheaper and would effectively be doing the same thing.  Sometimes solder is the best software.
-Bob

-Bob

Thanks,
Daniel 

--

David Schulpius

Post by David Schulpius » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Daniel, It's certainly easier to buy motors with the right RPM's. However there are two other ways to make the motors run at the speed you want. You can reduce the voltage with a voltage regulator or using PWM as Bob mentioned. A voltage regulator will step down the voltage to a lower voltage and will make the motor spin slower. There are many regulators you can buy that can either step it down to a set level or can be manually adjustable. Eric Johnson sells one that may work but I can't say it will give you the results your looking for because I don't know what your useing: http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com/pub/parts/B90247/index.html
If you want to use PWM you'll need a motor controller or even a H-bridge. Your EZ Robot's EZB can send the PWM speed command to the controller or H-bridge and set the speed that is perfect for your taste.
Good Luck, Dave Schulpius
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Daniel danielscottangel@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Ok. Looks like the most cost effective solution is to buy new motors at the appropriate RPMs . Around 25.00 total.
Thanks for the input. Always appreciated.
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 21, 2015, at 7:31 PM, Gregorio Padin padingre@yahoo.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Good point. I never though a 555 couls be used but I will look into it. I still have much to do before doing any dry run on motors but will keep it in mind. One the puzzle takes form I will be sharing for comments and improvements. :)

Yes, absolutely, but not directly. You'd need to use the Arduino for switching a MOSFET or similar that handles the power to the motor. It's kinda overkill. A 555 timer chip is way cheaper and would effectively be doing the same thing. Sometimes solder is the best software.
-Bob

I plan on getting the brain light to blink using one and when I get there I will see if I can control the motors speed. Again I am not an expert just something to think avout.:)

-Bob

Thanks,
Daniel

--

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:51 am

That looks a very similar pwm controller to the one I used to control the
crown and finger-light motor in my B9, it works perfectly and was very
cheap. I can slow the motor down to almost a stop with ease. I removed the
control pot from the board and mounted it to the torso knob so I can
adjust the speed with ease.

Adam S B9-0557
> I just bought one of these to test out. The price is right. I'll give an
> opinion when it arrives in a couple weeks and will maybe even make a
> video:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-1-8V-to-12V-2A-PWM-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Motor-Speed-Controller/391151074442?rt=nc&_soffid=5009616002&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Bob Darlington
> wrote:
>
>> Yes. You can run the motor at full or even higher voltage, but on a
>> lower
>> duty cycle with a PWM controller. Something like this, but probably not
>> this exact one:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/50A-Digital-Motor-Speed-Controller/dp/B004M5NKH4
>>
>> -Bob
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com
>> [B9Builders] wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I suspect I know what the answer will be but what the heck ;-)
>>>
>>> I have a 6mm micromotor that I need to reduce the RPMs. I know the RPM
>>> range and have attempted to reduce that via a voltage controller but
>>> have
>>> had no luck. Are there any other options to bring this speed down?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Conquering the world one robot at a time....*
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>

Mike Handley

Post by Mike Handley » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 am

Buying close to the correct speed certainly helps, but you'll probably want to vary it a little to get the speed that looks right to you. 
If we are talking about the micro motors for the radar ears, then the ones i got had a gear ratio of about 700:1 and a rated speed of 28rpm. They run a bit faster with no load, and the mass of the radar ears is almost no load, but can be slowed down by dropping the voltage. Running at 1.5v was no problem but with this method you do lose torque as well as speed. 
The PWM controller Bob found looks like a good solution here, and is close to the same price as a simple voltage regulator. 

mike

On Sep 22, 2015, at 3:50 PM, 'Adam' B9@strawson.freeuk.com [B9Builders] wrote:

That looks a very similar pwm controller to the one I used to control the
crown and finger-light motor in my B9, it works perfectly and was very
cheap. I can slow the motor down to almost a stop with ease. I removed the
control pot from the board and mounted it to the torso knob so I can
adjust the speed with ease.

Adam S B9-0557

> I just bought one of these to test out. The price is right. I'll give an
> opinion when it arrives in a couple weeks and will maybe even make a
> video:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-1-8V-to-12V-2A-PWM-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Motor-Speed-Controller/391151074442?rt=nc&_soffid=5009616002&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Bob Darlington
> wrote:
>
>> Yes. You can run the motor at full or even higher voltage, but on a
>> lower
>> duty cycle with a PWM controller. Something like this, but probably not
>> this exact one:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/50A-Digital-Motor-Speed-Controller/dp/B004M5NKH4
>>
>> -Bob
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Daniel Angel danielscottangel@gmail.com
>> [B9Builders] wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I suspect I know what the answer will be but what the heck ;-)
>>>
>>> I have a 6mm micromotor that I need to reduce the RPMs. I know the RPM
>>> range and have attempted to reduce that via a voltage controller but
>>> have
>>> had no luck. Are there any other options to bring this speed down?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Conquering the world one robot at a time....*
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>