Re: Newbie Questions:

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
Cliff Stripling

Newbie Questions:

Post by Cliff Stripling » Thu Aug 03, 2000 9:08 am

All, Questions: Please, you old hands, give a wannabee a break and tell me the straight scoop. Jump in on any or all... maybe some of my questions are stupid, but I will ask them anyway. The Electro Majic Bed Is the mechanical action of the bed trouble free for the most part? I just read a post that mentioned a problem with the mechanism and have heard about others that have had a problem. Chassis Seems like the newest is the P-32. Then I noticed that in '96 it was the P-30. Even earlier it was Izusu. Would anyone know the history of the chassis, the differences between them and how each rates as far as ride and stability are concerned? Stabilizer bars and shocks A lot is written about Treks (and many other) needing Bilstein shocks and/or several brands of front and rear stabilizer bars. Does the Trek need stabilizer bars? Any testimonials on brands? Do Treks wander or sway with passing trucks? Which chassis does and does not? Is there any difference in the way the 24' and 28' Treks handle on the road. Does one or the other have more of a tendency to sway or hop on older concrete highways? (pull trailers & 5th wheels really can jerk on some roads). Any problems with Toads causing adverse road handling (or jerking)? Power of gas vs. diesel I have heard that the diesel does not have enough power for the Trek. I don't know if the diesel mentioned was the early Izusu 4-cyl or the newer GM. I would think that a gas 290 hp (torque 410) would produce more power than the diesel 190 hp (torque 385). Obviously, the diesel should get better fuel economy. What MPG are you getting - gas and diesel? Braking Does the diesel come with an exhaust brake? Does it need one? Any design faults and Misc Any leaky roofs or other fairly common problems? Is roof caulking required often? With a hard roof, I would think so. I understand the framing is metal... is there any wood in the framing? Any problems with servicing engines or systems? Any favorite modifications or add ons? We are going to get a look at a 2430 this weekend so maybe some of the above questions will be answered then. Hoping to be more than a Wannabee soon! Thanks for any comment. Cliff

ernieth@hotmail.com

Re: Newbie Questions:

Post by ernieth@hotmail.com » Sat Aug 26, 2000 11:52 am

--- In Safarifriends@egroups.com, "Cliff Stripling" wrote: > All, > > Questions: Please, you old hands, give a wannabee a break and tell > me > the straight scoop. Jump in on any or all... maybe some of my > questions are stupid, but I will ask them anyway. > > The Electro Majic Bed > > Is the mechanical action of the bed trouble free > for the most part? I just read a post that mentioned a problem with > the mechanism and have heard about others that have had a problem. > I have a 94, Izusu and had to replace the EMB motor last year. In the Izusu it is a real pain since the bed is slightly forward from the Chevy and if the bed is stuck in the down position (as mine was) while remote camping in Washington State. I finally figured out how to remove the bed from the tracks, cut the wiring and move the bed back and hang it between the top of the couch and the chair. Braced it there, put the mattress on the floor and continued my trip. Motor was replace for about $700. > Chassis > > Seems like the newest is the P-32. Then I noticed that in '96 it was > the P-30. Even earlier it was Izusu. Would anyone know the history > of the chassis, the differences between them and how each rates as > far > as ride and stability are concerned? Izusu was used through 94. We where at the Homecoming that year and all kind of stories were floating around. One was that the Izusa chassis had gotten so expensive that Safri felt it would be priced out of the market. Another stories was that GM trying to get the motorhome industry in their desiel made Safri an offer that couldn't be refused. Another story is that a change in California regulations concerning braking would require the use of the next size up Izusu chassis and again that was a cost problem for Safri. In general the Izusu chassis and engine are much more heavier constructed and much more reliable with a very long life. The Izusu NPR chassis is the bases for the most popular delivery vans in the world. BUT. The Izusu is very underpowered for hill climbing. I can easily go way too fast on level ground, 75 or so, but on a grade forget it. Usually top a long 6% grade at about 25. The worst in starting from dead stop on a grade, a turtle will beat me.The Izusa is noisy and more hard riding than the P-30 and the chassis is 6" narrower. The bed is more forward, giving more headroom in the living area but required the seats to be raked back to lower the bed. The Izusu 24 has very limited storage. So for speed, comfort and slighty more room, the Chevy. For reliablity and life span in the 200K mile range the Izusu. For me, the next step in a 30 foot Safri or Beaver when I can find the right one and sell my Trek. > > Stabilizer bars and shocks > I use the Safty Steer, it works great and was a major help. I also installed some Trimprims, which are hard rubber mounts at all 4 corners between axle and body. They make the ride even firmer but elimiate body sway on corners. Mine handles like a sport car now. A slow and hard riding sport car. > A lot is written about Treks (and many other) needing Bilstein shocks > and/or several brands of front and rear stabilizer bars. Does the > Trek need stabilizer bars? Any testimonials on brands? Do Treks > wander or sway with passing trucks? Which chassis does and does not? I have 45K miles on Standard shocks, next replacement I will use Bilstins. > Is there any difference in the way the 24' and 28' Treks handle on > the > road. Does one or the other have more of a tendency to sway or hop > on > older concrete highways? (pull trailers & 5th wheels really can jerk > on some roads). Any problems with Toads causing adverse road > handling > (or jerking)? > I tow a Mercury Capri conv with no problems. I don't even notice it. > Power of gas vs. diesel > > I have heard that the diesel does not have enough power for the Trek. > I don't know if the diesel mentioned was the early Izusu 4-cyl or the > newer GM. I would think that a gas 290 hp (torque 410) would produce > more power than the diesel 190 hp (torque 385). Obviously, the > diesel > should get better fuel economy. What MPG are you getting - gas and > diesel? The Izusa came only in diesel and I get about 12.5 mpg > > Braking > > Does the diesel come with an exhaust brake? Does it need one? Izusu came with exhaust break and it works great. > > Any design faults and Misc > > Any leaky roofs or other fairly common problems? Is roof caulking > required often? With a hard roof, I would think so. I understand > the > framing is metal... is there any wood in the framing? Any problems > with servicing engines or systems? Any favorite modifications or add > ons? Roof, I have just started having leaks and am looking into how to reseal. Ernie, Ventura Ca