Re: Sewer odor

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
JohnJoannFigueras

Sewer odor

Post by JohnJoannFigueras » Mon Apr 03, 2000 5:07 pm

Help! (Embarrasing question) Does anyone have advice about the holding-tank smell we get only while we're driving? We've filled traps, opened/closed vents, run the bath fan, sealed off drains, etc. We can't isolate the source, except that it's in the bathroom. No smell while we're parked. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com

Terry Webner

Post by Terry Webner » Tue Apr 04, 2000 5:26 pm

Try two places for Sewer odor: 1. The drain for the washer / dryer has no trap as it is directly connected to the drain past the shutoff. Any waste still in the drain after dumping can get past the washer drain hose and smell in the closet. Try some putty around the drain hose to close off this drain. This is usually found under the board in the closet above the washer. 2. The toilet trap can dry out and let odor get thru also. Try filling the toilet to the top and allow the water to run over the overflow holes at the top of the bowl. That will fill the trap. I've tried both of these and they do work, but I have still gotten some sewer odor while driving. The best cure seems to be to drain the tanks then sweeten them by the use of chemicals. Terry Webner twebner@...

stermolle

Post by stermolle » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:39 pm

We'd been getting these odors off and on. Finally opened the casement where the washer/dryer drain pipe is located. Stuffed a rag around the top and sealed with duct tape.... Smell is gone!!! Thanks for this tip. Kathy 97 Sahara currently in Tucson, AZ --- In Safarifriends@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Webner" wrote: > > Try two places for Sewer odor: > > 1. The drain for the washer / dryer has no trap as it is directly connected to > the drain past the shutoff. Any waste still in the drain after dumping can get > past the washer drain hose and smell in the closet. Try some putty around the > drain hose to close off this drain. This is usually found under the board in > the closet above the washer. > > 2. The toilet trap can dry out and let odor get thru also. Try filling the > toilet > to the top and allow the water to run over the overflow holes at the top of the > bowl. That will fill the trap. > > I've tried both of these and they do work, but I have still gotten some sewer > odor while driving. The best cure seems to be to drain the tanks then sweeten > them by the use > of chemicals. > > > Terry Webner > twebner@... >