Re: EASTERN HOMECOMING RALLY

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
prieye@MSN.com

EASTERN HOMECOMING RALLY

Post by prieye@MSN.com » Sat Feb 05, 2000 8:46 pm

Well, for those of you who didn't make it to the SAFARI INTERNATIONAL Eastern Homecoming rally in Orlando, here's the scoop. This was a combined BEAVER and SAFARI rally with almost 700 coaches in attendance. Dealers brought another 80 or so coaches anticipating active sales. I understand that the dealers did not sell as many coaches as they had hoped to. The vendors seemed surprised at this but the way I see it is people for the most part are happy with their coaches and reluctant to trade in until there coach is about four or five years old, minimum. Obviously, there are exceptions to this but with the high price of a new motorhome it makes perfect sense to keep what you have as long as you can. And we all know it takes a year or so to work the bugs out of a new motorhome, correct ? The dealers deserve a pat on the back as well for bringing so many different models. Many folks were touring the coaches comparing the new ones to there own. And the line to view the new SOLITAIRE was constant. What a coach ! All in all it was a good rally, and Bill White and his staff deserve a pat on the back. It is no easy task putting on an event of this size. A small problem occurred with some bicycles being stolen but later recovered. A couple of young boys were responsible with one being apprehended due to a SMC technician being able to out run him. Congrats to the SMC technicians for this and many other jobs well done. The weather was on the cool side, with an ocassional shower. Electric power seemed sufficient, and water was available to all as well. Coaches were parked in every conceivable spot on the fairgrounds property and many vendors were on site selling their goods. The two busiest vendors appeared to be the coach washing and waxing crew and the satellite tv people. Many, many frienships were renewed and the general atmosphere was one of a big family reunion. The food was well received, without the long lines of last year and there appeared to be plenty of it. Happy hours were very popular as was the ice cream social and the pet show. And on one afternoon the men had a submarine style lunch while the women had a fashion show. Seminars abounded and were well attended. A significant amount of first timers were present which was encouraging and there were many BEAVER folks on site that had just come from building a nearby home for HABITAT FOR HUMANITY as well as a dozen or so SAFARI members that had built a home out of state recently. I was surprised to learn that HABITAT FOR HUMANITY has built 100,000 homes to date. Finally, awards, and door prizes were handed out at the fairwell dinner. Many folks were upset that this rally did not have a stuffed animal give away as they usually do but instead substituted a fruit basket. Bummer. There was talk of a SMC web page being developed as well. We'll see..... Looking for another rally ? May 1st in Virginia is the North / South Rally being hosted by the Avalones and the Wells. I understand they have allocated quite a few sites but they are going fast. Take care everyone. Richard

Carolyn G McHale

Post by Carolyn G McHale » Sun Feb 06, 2000 11:12 am

Richard, Where in Virginia is the North South Rally? We may be able to break away from my retirement, now that my friends, cousins and nieces have all given birth to the new millenium crop. We are off this Saturday for the Upper Amazon and Peru. We searched around in Camping World for a long snorkel for the TREK, but they were out of stock, so we will have to fly there. Regards, John McHale, a 98 TREKER mchale@... 301-588-1916

Richard Bauer

Post by Richard Bauer » Sun Feb 06, 2000 12:13 pm

The rally is in Urbanna, VA May1 to May 6. Jim Avallone can give you all of the particulars at http://www.cjavallone@... Dick From: Carolyn G McHale Reply-To: Safarifriends@onelist.com Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 14:12:11 -0500 To: Safarifriends@onelist.com Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] EASTERN HOMECOMING RALLY From: Carolyn G McHale Richard, Where in Virginia is the North South Rally? We may be able to break away from my retirement, now that my friends, cousins and nieces have all given birth to the new millenium crop. We are off this Saturday for the Upper Amazon and Peru. We searched around in Camping World for a long snorkel for the TREK, but they were out of stock, so we will have to fly there. Regards, John McHale, a 98 TREKER mchale@... 301-588-1916 Please click above to support our sponsor Community email addresses: Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends