Re: Two way communications

Yahoo Groups Legacy Content
prieye@MSN.com

Two way communications

Post by prieye@MSN.com » Tue Jan 18, 2000 7:42 am

Greetings everyone ; Having just survived another Massachusetts to Florida raod trip I discovered something very interesting that I would like to share with you. I discovered that more and more folks are no longer useing their CB's, for the obvious reason of all the idiots who can't talk without swearing and making a fool of themselves. That in itself is no big news flash. What I did discover is that many, many folks are useing these new FMRS (Family [something?] Radio Service) radios like the MOTOROLA TALKABOUTS or KENWOOD style to communicate between vehicles. I have a few of these radios (as an Amatuer Radio operator I have a few of lots of different radios !) and left one on scan for the trip down. I heard quite a few conversations car to car, coach to coach, and guess what, never did I hear a curse word or anything foul. These radios are available everywhere, and don't cost but $90.00 for a great one. They have 14 channels and 38 different privacy tones so that you can block out any other conversations that may pop up on the channel your useing. It sounds much more difficult than it is, honestly. These radios are easy to use, and small. And they operate off of AA batteries for a range of a strong mile or more. All one needs to do is push a button to turn it on and another to scan all the channels. The radio will stop on any active channel and hold the conversation. The beauty is you don't even have to know what channel someone is on to find them if you're in scan mode. If we as motorhomers used these extensively as we travelled it would be simple to come up on a coach and just say something to the extent of "hey Safari (or whatever) from such and such state, how are you doing ?" And presto, if they had the same radio on scan they would here you and get back to you. No more foul mouthed idiots to contend with. Just good, wholesome conversation with a like minded individual. If anyone wants to know more about these just feel free to ask or do a search on "FMRS radios". I recommend the Motorola and Kenwood brands. The Kenwood has the ability to scramble a conversation as well, but only between two Kenwoods. Richard Giampietro F239480

Dale DeRemer

Post by Dale DeRemer » Tue Jan 18, 2000 8:53 am

Richard, Thx for the Comm update. I am a new RVer (Trek) and will be full time in the Fall. It was a little bit of bad news as I just finished installing a CB (along with a Kenwood 2M rig). Do you know offhand the frequency range of the family radio? I doubt if it would be my luck to be able to reach it with my 2M rig scanning, but.... Again thanks! 73, Dale WB7OMY

Richard G

Post by Richard G » Tue Jan 18, 2000 5:36 pm

Dale, I don't have the freqs off the top of my head but a web "search" on FMRS radios should divulge them. If you don't find them e-mail me back and I'll get my frequency counter out and give you each and every one. I do know they are in the 464mhz band if my memory isn't failing me. I also travel with a 2 meter rig, on 146.520, seldom, do I ever get a QSO this way. A good site to check out is www.strongsignals.com for any and all radio info. Let me know if you need help. Richard Giampietro N1JZJ ----- Original Message ----- From: Dale DeRemer To: Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 11:53 AM Subject: Re: [Safarifriends] Two way communications > From: "Dale DeRemer" > > Richard, > > Thx for the Comm update. I am a new RVer (Trek) and will be full time in > the Fall. It was a little bit of bad news as I just finished installing a > CB (along with a Kenwood 2M rig). > > Do you know offhand the frequency range of the family radio? I doubt if it > would be my luck to be able to reach it with my 2M rig scanning, but.... > > Again thanks! > > 73, > > Dale > WB7OMY > > --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- > > Get great offers on top-notch products that match your interests! > Sign up for eLerts at: > Click Here > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Community email addresses: > Post message: Safarifriends@onelist.com > Subscribe: Safarifriends-subscribe@onelist.com > Unsubscribe: Safarifriends-unsubscribe@onelist.com > List owner: Safarifriends-owner@onelist.com > > Shortcut URL to this page: > http://www.onelist.com/community/Safarifriends > >